Nickcade 29-Dec-17
Dthfrmabove 29-Dec-17
xi 29-Dec-17
Pi 29-Dec-17
Nickcade 01-Jan-18
Pi 01-Jan-18
Will 02-Jan-18
28-Dec-17
Nothing sobers you up more than watching death give you a hall pass. I was walking to my tree stand for an afternoon hunt, (the same stand I hit and did not recover a monster buck last friday) I was 10 yards away when I suddenly heard a loud snap and pop. As I looked up, an enormous branch fell from the top of a 100 foot pine tree directly onto my stand.

There is not question about it, I would have been greatly injured if not killed if i was on that stand.

I thanked god and drove home.

28-Dec-17
Jeepers, glad you are safe.

28-Dec-17
Damn that’s crazy! No pic of stand?

28-Dec-17
I'll get a picture tomorrow when I go back. Oddly, I leave my phone in the truck when I hunt...i know I know, its safer to take it with me.

28-Dec-17
Wow. Glad you are safe Nick!!!

28-Dec-17
Glad your ok sure seems like someone is telling you to give that area a pass until next year.

28-Dec-17
Wow glad you're ok.

28-Dec-17
Geez! That'd scare the bejesus out of anyone! Glad it turned out okay for you.

28-Dec-17
Wow! Really glad to hear you weren't in that stand man.

28-Dec-17
There’s some bad juju going on in that area. I would leave everything there until the spring

29-Dec-17
wow... crazy.. glad you weren't in there... Stay safe!

29-Dec-17
I'm not sure if its bad juju or fate testing my resolve. It's always very hard to tell the difference.

29-Dec-17
glad you weren't in that stand !!!!! I would leave it till spring too. Lol

29-Dec-17
Nick, I wouldn't push the envelope. Your OK for a reason.

29-Dec-17
I disagree. It is pre-disastered get in that spot. It Can't happen again . Take the gift and be thankful . Hunt it . Besides its all brushed in now. Go for it . Nothing to fear.

01-Jan-18
Pi you were absolutely correct. Went back to my spot at 2pm. 10 minutes later I see a deer 50 yards in front of me. I film it because of the irony, 50 yards in my face across a wetland. As I'm watching, another deer appears, then another. 3 deer SO far. The one buck comes straight at me. In fact, he grazes directly in front of my stand as I wait. Then of course, the wise old buck, 8 pointer, appears. This deer was cautious as can be. I watched the deer for an hour. I didn't draw back. I lost two deer this year, one monster on a seemingly well placed shot. I said to myself on this last day of the season, "I am not wounding another deer with these piece of %$#@ broadheads." I wanted my freezer to get filled, but I didn't have it in me this day. They eventually made their way into an orchard. I climbed down my stand and admired the view; I looked at how magnificent my surroundings were painted. A perfectly placed field nestled in between an orchard that was seemingly climbing up the side of a hill, smoke billowing out of a cottage in the far off background. A narrow patch of trees in between the field and a cozy thicket where deer would slumber. And of course, a wetland guarding the northern side of their camp. These deer had a perfect sanctuary and I was privileged enough to share it with them.

01-Jan-18
Nickcade , That is a great ending . Wonderful imagery and such a heartfelt share of your experience all the way through . No matter what happens , it is always about learning and living with the events that shape our lives. It is always a process and yours was very rich this year.

Thank you for allowing us to travel along ! I am sure your future holds many experiences , high points and great adventures, which I look forward to hearing about. Your dignity in handling the challenge this year is commendable and we are all better for it.

"I'm not sure if its bad juju or fate testing my resolve. " There it is ! life has a way of bringing us to that threshold . (brilliant design) Your part in it is stepping over or walking away. Faith !

I call that a success . Well done.

02-Jan-18
Nick what an awesome ending - man, what a spot to spend time! Pi nailed it, that, was a success for sure!

• Sitka Gear