Cougar 29-Dec-17
1SG Ret 29-Dec-17
Let's Go 29-Dec-17
Cougar 29-Dec-17
Will 29-Dec-17
fisherick 29-Dec-17
Bowhunt3138 29-Dec-17
29-Dec-17
Heading out this chilly morning to hunt. Anyone else out? This is the last day for me to get out, as I have a wedding to go to tomorrow.

29-Dec-17
Nope... only 6 degrees here in Dartmouth... I actually feel bad for the deer.

29-Dec-17
Zone W for me. GL.

29-Dec-17
After taking a few weeks off I’m gonna head out for a couple hours this afternoon to wrap up the season.

29-Dec-17
doubtful... maybe last hour today or tomorrow... but I think i'm calling it....

29-Dec-17

SloMo's embedded Photo
SloMo's embedded Photo
Same here . Afternoon sit and last time out untill Turkey Season . Happy new years everyone . Bundle up

29-Dec-17
Slomo if you're in mass I would suggest putting your orange on. It's required through muzzleloader

29-Dec-17
I am an old guy but will go out this late afternoon and definitely Saturday morning with the barometer dropping which they will feel. When its this cold ,minus 2 degrees this morning in West Boylston, it has been my experience that deer and most wildlife will lay up since they use more or the same amount of energy to feed than what they take in so they use their fat reserves. Unfortunately it is really early in the winter for them to use their reserves so early given what may or may not be in store for the rest of the winter. Then its survival of the fittest with smaller deer with less fat reserves and less core mass subject to not making it through until Spring. good luck to all on these last days of the 2017 hunting season.

29-Dec-17
Doc - fully agree with you on that... Really hoping they are not using up to much fat yet. I know several areas they are still pounding acorns, hopefully that energy rich food will help...

I'm pondering a last 1.5hrs sit this afternoon in Sterling. It's a spot that was hot 2 weeks ago, but I've not been back since. I should "adult" this afternoon... So this plan may fail... But we shall see. Heck, I already washed all my camo to put it away for the year :) ha ha ha...

29-Dec-17
I'm finishing up some work and heading out in a couple hours. I saw some does moving during the warmest part of the day yesterday. Hopefully they'll be moving again today. Last day out for me. Good luck and stay safe out there in the cold everyone.

29-Dec-17
Went yesterday with the stick and string....no sightings....gonna go all day tomorrow, Sat., hoping to get one more down with any luck....

29-Dec-17
Headed out at 1230 should be sitting by 115 hang until dark (if I can) or until something hits the ground..... as always this is the day the big one hits the ground

29-Dec-17
Good luck

29-Dec-17
Minus 3 this morning and deathly quiet, and nothing moving, not even squirrels. Will be back out this afternoon for couple hours.

29-Dec-17
Out for my last sit of the season this afternoon. Doe tracks old and new all around. There is still hope.

29-Dec-17
Been out for a stroll and will sit the last hour . Tomorrow Ill do the same . You never know !

29-Dec-17
Lasted less than an hour. Back out Tomorrow

29-Dec-17
Back out. Cameras show they are holding tight to homes until dark. Hoping for some early movement today.

29-Dec-17
Running out of propane seemed as good a time as any to call it a season. Zone 7, as usual, was quiet.

29-Dec-17
Jumped 6 deer out of the same area I saw them yesterday, but they were bedded 40-50 yards closer along my access route than I was expecting. So I climbed the closest straight tree to me as quick as I could hoping they would come back around. Get about 20 feet up, hoist my bow, go to screw in my bow holder and it basically sank right in without twisting. In my haste I climbed a dead rotten ass tree, dead branches above me and now that I'm paying closer attention a hollow spot at the base of the tree. Lowered my bow as quick as I could, unclipped and dropped my harness and scooted my climber down as quick as I could. Climbed another tree close by, but at this point the damage had been done and every deer in the area was out of there.

29-Dec-17
During my afternoon walk I learned a few things , took out some equipment and when getting close to my parking , I took a one legged plunge into the cold water. It didn't take long for my pants to freeze solid. Sneakers with toe warmers are not great protection in this weather but better for walking .

My ride was being serviced today and I raced to get back out before closing. I got there as the suns last rays ( bright bronze/ orange) kissed the trees goodnight. I raced down one field and cut through the woods to another on the far side of the wind and there they were . 2 big deer just getting to a corner of the field. I closed the gap to about 80 yards and was getting braced against a blow-down . They were just on the edge but one was still in the open... then they spooked and it turned out to be at least 4 maybe 5.

I know where I'll try tomorrow . It ain't over.

29-Dec-17
Keeping it weird in Z11 public... head in at 130 to an area where I passed a spike last night, lots of sign every year when the swamps ice up... anyway get 50 yards in to the woods and here comes a pumpkin trudging along looking at his GPS. passed by me at 20 yards, never looked up or at me at all even in full orange... decide to sneak in anyway. climb 25 feet up and hunker down. at 3:45, crunch crunch, here comes another pumpkin, 75 yards down wind from me stops right at the edge of what I can see looking the other way. Guy literally stands still for 8 minutes and then, crunch crunch crunch right back to the truck. Alrighty then. He puts a coyote past me on his way out but I couldn't get her to stop for a shot. I give it a couple minutes and decide to bail, the second my bow hits the ground, a deer snorts and takes off just out of my sight. It was edging quickly toward dark anyway but man it amazes me how bad some guys are at this! One more go at it tomorrow! ~ Cougar #notshotinZ11

29-Dec-17
Cougar where in z11I was sitting a ground blind and thought I heard something coming NOPE a full head to toe pumpkin loud as anything. Not that I’m quite but oh my god..... he’s carrying a smoke pole all I was thinking was I hope he doesn’t shoot at movement as I’m trying to watch him.....

I will be sitting tomorrow morning early then about 3 to season end Camera shows them very early and last two days a small 4 Point and a big body 6/8 Point at close to legal I’m hoping they come early tomorrow.

29-Dec-17
I won't be out. I'm visiting my daughter on Salt Lake City. 45 degrees here. I work outside so I am becoming a fair weather hunter. Just like the fishing thing. I don't need to be out in shitty weather to fish. See you all on the water in the spring! Let's Go

29-Dec-17
easton norton line

29-Dec-17
Hit a spot that looked good in Sterling on DCR Wachuset watershed land. It's definitely slowed down, the flock of turkeys that's been in there constantly all fall and roosts in the same spot was ALREADY roosted at 3~ when I headed past them. Cant help but wonder if they ever flew down! Saw more coyote tracks than deer... One deer track solo that looked big, so perhaps a buck... Then a few tracks that went to fresh beds - I bumped them, that's how I know how fresh they were :). Looked like all does though one beg was good sized so who knows - maybe the larger deer doing 100mph down the ridge headed for Princeton was a buck and I couldnt see antlers or they had dropped.

The fat lady sang on my year. It was a lot of fun.

29-Dec-17
My last afternoon out should have been 3 hours instead of two. On the way in spotted a deer on hillside and after parking 3 more within 120 yards. I guess I was too late. Better luck next year. First year in several years not filling tag.

29-Dec-17
Got a doe tonight in zone 10 . She came into what is left of my food plot. I was in my ground blind and she came in from the left at 430. I shot her at 15 yards she was quartering away pretty steep . I got one lung and clipped her heart. She ran about 100 yards. One day left time to get a big boy !!!

• Sitka Gear