GF 29-Dec-17
bb 30-Dec-17
GF 30-Dec-17
bb 30-Dec-17
Cman 04-Jan-18
bigbuckbob 04-Jan-18
29-Dec-17

bigbuckbob's Link
Anyone ever see this video before? I just found it on youtube.

29-Dec-17

nehunter 's Link
They filmed another nice one. I'm sure its a non huntable piece of property.

29-Dec-17
Looks like an arrow sticking out of the rear quarter of that second video.

29-Dec-17
X2 illi

29-Dec-17

nehunter 's embedded Photo
nehunter 's embedded Photo
You are right. Sticking out of the hindquarter.

29-Dec-17
Who would take a shot at a deer heading directly away from them? That's wanton waste to me! And where do these people live that they see so many deer?

29-Dec-17

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
Looks like he has a second arrow embedded down his left side....

"Wanton waste"? Not an advisable shot angle by any stretch, especially if (as it appears) the hunter was at ground level; OTOH, if it was an attempt at a follow-up on a wounded animal, all bets are off.

But FWIW, if you were going to attempt a finisher on a straight-away presentation like that, the smart money would be dead-center back of the neck; the more downward angle you had, the farther back the hold.

29-Dec-17
If I was given a straight away shot as a finishing shot. I would shoot either side of the tail.

29-Dec-17
My guess is he was raised by people

29-Dec-17
Agree with Rich; semi-tame bucks + Rut = goring waiting to happen.

bb - guess it depends what part of the “tail” you have in mind. Up high at the base, either side of the tail, you’ve got nothing but meat unless there’s enough downward angle to exit through the brisket.

If you don’t like the back of the neck, you’ve got to go pretty much right after the bung-hole; on-center is lethal and off-center is likely to get a femoral artery, which will absolutely do.

Half-way up the back of the neck gives you a target about a foot tall, so range estimation becomes less of an issue, and just about any hit on bone will anchor it.

Holding just under the bung-hole does offer a bigger target, laterally, though I would think that for most pin-shooters, there is a greater chance of missing high or low.

30-Dec-17
"bb - guess it depends what part of the “tail” you have in mind. Up high at the base, either side of the tail, you’ve got nothing but meat unless there’s enough downward angle to exit through the brisket."

Nope! Either side of the base if the tail will get you through the pelvis and will generally get the artery that branches off from under the spine and runs down the inside of the back legs. (that's the object, getting throught the pelvis is secondary) as the paunch is likely to stop it like shooting into a hay bale and then you have very little blood hitting the ground. If you miss the opening through the pelvis you still have a good chance of hitting the artery all the way down the ham, If you miss the artery and hit the ham, it's very vascular and lots of blood. Much better chances of a recovery with this shot than trying for a back of the neck shot on a follow up to a wounded deer that is only giving you a going away shot. The object is to get another arrow into the deer in a manner that gives you the best chance of recovery. I know this because i've done it more than once

30-Dec-17
Guess it depends on your definition of “through the pelvis” and “either side of the tail”.... and how much real estate you have to work with. Through the pelvic outlet is good; I just don’t see much point in aiming anywhere but dead-center where you want to hit.

I guess the good news is that you don’t often have the straight-away angle.

30-Dec-17
In my opinion Shooting at the back of the neck when you have to get another arrow into the deer is a weak option. Take my definition any way you want, I've done it on both Elk and deer, it works. I'm not about to change your mind nor are you going to change mine. So I'll leave it at that.

04-Jan-18

Cman's Link
Not CT - looks like these deer live in one of the Cleveland Metroparks. January culling scheduled..... seems they have an interesting program, though, and bowhunters can participate.

04-Jan-18
cman - so that's interesting that another state trained state personnel to cull deer and save the taxpayers millions, while also letting bow hunters participate in the cull. How is that possible that another state would ignore the scientific evidence given to us by the all knowing OZ behind the curtain????

• Sitka Gear