Dr. Williams 31-Dec-17
spike78 31-Dec-17
Bigbuckbob 31-Dec-17
Dr. Williams 31-Dec-17
soapdish 31-Dec-17
Bigbuckbob 01-Jan-18
29-Dec-17

bigbuckbob's Link
Seems like there has been poaching going on at Staten Island for years, and there appears to be enough woods that they can't find who's doing it! How's that possible since the picture painted by certain individuals is that hunters would be forced to hunt from sky scrapper windows since there's no woods on the island? Seems like they've been finding dead bucks with the antlers removed for years and it's getting worse. No people were shot or even knew someone was in a tree with a bow, cross bow, etc! Very interesting!!

29-Dec-17
My bet is they are shooting them from vehicles.

29-Dec-17

Dr. Williams's Link
They know exactly who they are because they got pinched.

29-Dec-17

Dr. Williams's Link

29-Dec-17
Doc, you're right, they found one guy by staking the island, night vision goggles, weeks of searching. Why so long when there's just one tree on the island?

29-Dec-17
"State authorities tracked the man for a year, using night vision goggles and thermal imaging equipment to make their case."

I think it's safe to say based on this information from the article they weren't looking for him but surveilling him. I don't think the lone tree on Staten Island was the issue.

29-Dec-17
Bb are you saying they let him put the entire island in danger of getting shot for an entire year? See, I know how dangerous this was because Doc told me so.

29-Dec-17
Happy New year

29-Dec-17
Maybe there was an aerial count of poachers via helicopter, after all that's where this is going.....lol....call me Richard??

29-Dec-17
Nope, I told you hunting was illegal in NYC limits and it would be political suicide for DeBlasio to institute a lethal program. Jeez Bob, and you won't even whack a monster buck in your friend's backyard, but you are all for archery hunting in NY City? Give us a break man.

29-Dec-17
I think Bob just likes to attack Dr Williams

30-Dec-17
"Bb are you saying they let him put the entire island in danger of getting shot for an entire year? See, I know how dangerous this was because Doc told me so."

No bob, what I'm saying is based on the information available in the article. That's my understanding. Other than that, I wasn't there so I don;t know what they knew and whether they thought anyone was in danger. I have a suspicion you're in the same boat.

You obviously have a different idea of what the article says, that fits your predetermined concept of what is happening on Staten Island.

30-Dec-17
I did a job out in South Hampton LI a few years ago from june until dec. .all summer i would sit on the balcony and count deer at first light..the deer were everywhere in the marshes,like rats...by the time i left at the end of december we counted 9 headless deer with backstraps cut out and another 5does with backstraps cut out...

30-Dec-17
Were the headless, strapless deer on the side of the road? Deer-vehicle collisions are a plague out there and I have no qualms with guys not letting that source of protein go to waste post-collision, as long as the deer wasn't illegally harvested. Cutting the head of a roadkilled buck, same deal.

30-Dec-17
Stirring the pot Bob, nice. It's not January yet.

30-Dec-17
Yeah getting bored already. But I do like the fact that there's so much forested area that it took them a year to find one guy. Where were all of the millions of people doc told us would be put in danger? No one around to see this guy cutting off antlers after shooting deer and having them run down city streets? Imagine how many deer 20 guys could kill if this guy did 44 in a year.

30-Dec-17
Pretty effective, they should have given him an award for providing a service to the community.

30-Dec-17
No Bob. It didn't take them a year to catch the guy. As BB quoted: "State authorities tracked the man for a year, using night vision goggles and thermal imaging equipment to make their case." They knew he was doing it, took them a year to make the case to prosecute the guy.

And yes, a lone assasin can be far more effective than a legion of archers educating zillions of deer. Sometimes, less is more, particularly when it comes to substantially reducing deer densities.

One guy poaching deer on 60 square miles didn't go unnoticed by the public, now imagine a couple hundred guys slinging arrows, dragging deer across parkways, and lame deer in people's backyards with arrows sticking out of their hindquarters. How would DeBlasio justify that PR disaster?

30-Dec-17
"But I do like the fact that there's so much forested area that it took them a year to find one guy. Where were all of the millions of people doc told us would be put in danger? "

I think you're assuming this guy wasn't skinny and couldn't hide behind the one tree.

I have a feeling that no one felt any danger unless the guy had a propensity for firing arrows straight up into the air.

30-Dec-17
Wait a minute now. The guy killed 44 deer and they needed to make a case against him? The first time they saw him walk into the woods, or that one tree in the middle of the skyscrapers, they could have charged him. Why wait a year? And doc remember, all the deer on the island are stupid so 20 guys would stack up the brown. You taught me that.

30-Dec-17
Yes, unhunted deer are naive, but smarten up quick when hunters educate them. I think I've made that point. My expertise is not in the field of law enforcement, but seems as if this guy was as bold as he was stupid. And he confessed given the evidence amassed against him.

A true hunter knows when hunting is not appropriate, and here is a prime example. Hunters could only get their reputation tarnished in a situation like this. DeBlasio did hunters a huge favor by not permitting them to display their "expertise" for millions of New Yorkers to bear witness.

30-Dec-17
But doc, no one saw this guy, that is unless they had night vision goggles and thermal imaging, so I can't imagine 20 hunters would have too much of a problem hiding. And deer don't learn too much when they're dead. :).

30-Dec-17
They always wait and build a case ...sometimes years and years ...undercover agents the whole nine yards

30-Dec-17
Really? Build a case for poaching on Staten island? A year of watching him kill 44 deer? I find that hard to believe.

30-Dec-17
Frankly....

If I had an Unhuntable population of deer and a poacher who was making an appreciable dent in the herd, I’d probably let my LEOs build a VERY solid case against him. You get the one Guaranteed Result that justifies the cost of the effort and that creates an opportunity to dedicate the resources in such a way that they might stumble across other violators; and in the process there is a desirable impact on the problematic population.

Everybody wins!

Except the guys (like me!) who would be happy to do it legally (and for free). But DeBlasio has a Political Reality to deal with, and doing the right thing won’t get his butt re-elected, so there it is.

Only good news is that sticking it to the Poacher good & hard is good Politics, so a guy who really deserves it will at least get what he deserves.

31-Dec-17
Not sure what to tell you Bob. I have nothing to do with what's going on on Staten Island. If you have questions/concerns as a CT resident, perhaps you should direct them to New York DEC law enforcement.

31-Dec-17
The funny part is that they spend tens of thousands of dollars on the operation and end up slapping the guy with maybe a couple thousand dollar fine if that.

31-Dec-17
Good point spike. Wonder what the cost was to track this guy for a year. But then again these are the same guys spending millions to snip the bucks and put them back in the high speed lane of the highway.

31-Dec-17
Agreed Spike. He pled guilty and only got a $3000 fine. Any game warden will tell you they are so committed to their jobs not for the satisfaction of financial restitution from violators, but rather protection of the resource for future generations. Hats off to those guys and women who put their lives on the line for the cause.

31-Dec-17
Seconded

01-Jan-18
Doc, I agree! All of the game wardens I've run into we're only helpful and couldn't be nicer.

• Sitka Gear