hickstick 07-Jan-18
29-Dec-17

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
This Has nothing to do with hunting!!! Down here on the south coast I am blessed to have the best of both worlds. I am an avid fisherman and hunter. My true passion is hunting whitetail with a bow but you can't do it year round. So I supplement my obsession by surfcasting for stripers, blues and sharks. Just wondering who else on here has other hobbies that are outdoors related and where you do it. Looks like I am already getting the midwinter blues at the beginning of winter!!!

29-Dec-17

29-Dec-17
Dth, man you have me pining for the canal. I have been a member of the Canal Sportsman Club for years, and it has been years since I have been down. We used to go every weekend when my girls were small. I was one of the canal rats that would be on a bike in the middle of the night jigging. I pulled some great fish out of there. I even got spooled once. I hope to get there this year. I heard 2017 was epic. Pete

29-Dec-17
Was that today ?

29-Dec-17
Xi, if that was today I’d say he is the baddest mofo on the planet in a t shirt lol.

29-Dec-17
Peter 2017 was epic. Caught more 40 pound fish than all my previous fishing life. Unfortunately it was a shit show down there and I will be fishing a lot less there because of it. I will still be going but more night time jigging is in order to avoid some of the chaos that was happening. I am going to be hitting the beaches more at night this year looking for the toothy critters with heavy tackle. That's where the fun is at, way better than striper fishing. I Go with a couple guys who have been doing it for a while and have learned a lot. First thing I learned is don't go without guys who know what they are doing!!!! Always looking for someone to join me. Just like deer hunting a lot of waiting around and then when it happens it's an adrenaline rush till the end.lol

29-Dec-17
Spike, looks like the Y pool on the swift river !

29-Dec-17

Let's Go's embedded Photo
The canal clan had a banner year. Folks were coming here from around the country to fish the "Ditch". Here is my summer passion, Let's Go is a 1955 MacKenzie Bass Boat built in Kingston, MA on the Jones River. This was my grandfathers boat. He got her in 1967 and I spent my summers on her fishing for Bass, Blues and cod. I got her when he passed over the bar in 1994. My daughter has since grown up on the Decks of Let's Go. I have completely rebuilt her since I got her. I love rebuilding old wooden boats and I am restoring a 1954 19' MacKenzie. She is a complete rebuild from the frame out. I will be replanking the 19 next summer. Let's Go spends her summers on her mooring in Plymouth when not underway to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Cuttyhunk and points north and south. Happy New Year all you here on Bowsite. I enjoy all the input and conversations. Enjoy, Happy New Year, Let's Go

29-Dec-17

Here I Let' Go on her mooring in Plymouth. Let's Go

29-Dec-17

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Bring the spring
Passthrough's embedded Photo
Bring the spring

29-Dec-17

1SG Ret's embedded Photo
1SG Ret's embedded Photo
My first keeper of the year

29-Dec-17

Will's embedded Photo
Wild brown on a 3 foot wide stream some where between Worcester and New Hampshire :)
Will's embedded Photo
Wild brown on a 3 foot wide stream some where between Worcester and New Hampshire :)
Will's embedded Photo
Professional conferences are a good chunk of my time...
Will's embedded Photo
Professional conferences are a good chunk of my time...
Will's embedded Photo
Enjoying the trails all year... I get on the fat tired bike this time of year riding the snow and ice, most of the year is on the trusty 29er.
Will's embedded Photo
Enjoying the trails all year... I get on the fat tired bike this time of year riding the snow and ice, most of the year is on the trusty 29er.
Will's embedded Photo
Awesome little #24 swift river flies - since XI mentioned the Y pool above :)
Will's embedded Photo
Awesome little #24 swift river flies - since XI mentioned the Y pool above :)
Fishing, cycling, tying flies, open water swimming, lifting things and putting them down...

DFA - those are big! I heard it was a great year down there... but, um, WOW!

29-Dec-17
Ha, now I know what bike to look for if I ever get my ass back on mine and ride LSF. I am thinking next year my bike will be used as a scouting transport apparatus :)

Is that a carbon leftie? Man, you are not screwing around.

29-Dec-17
Ha - took me so long to add in photos, PeterK responded before I finished :)!

MTB's are awesome scouting. I can do a 3 hr ride round areas of Z6-5 and cover miles and miles and miles... LSF is the same way :)

No, the frame and rear end are all carbon, but the lefty is not. It is though... The super new 120mm lefty vs the traditional 100mm :). It's a scalpel SE, just came out in October. It's basically a Lefty but about 1 degree more relaxed geometry (more trail) and 15mm more travel in back and 20mm more up front. I havent ridden a soft tail in 10~ ish years, and going back was a bit of a shock... Point, and shoot :). Definitely, if you see the bike (or a brown tacoma with a nemba sticker on the driver side rear window) say hello!

29-Dec-17
Just 3-5 weeks till maple syrup time guys. Fills the time between hunting and fishing, and costs <$50 to get started. Easy to find trees, landowners like to have their trees tapped. Makes them feel kind of agricultural.

29-Dec-17
Let's go. She is a beauty. There is something to be said about the old wooden hulls. The islands are a wonderful Place to spend the summer. Much better than 20 ft up when it's 15 degrees out

Will looking at that brown makes me miss the times I would spend on the quinny fishing for holdovers in the winter. I was blessed with an exceptional year down the canal with more than a half dozen fish topping the 40 pound mark and more thirties than I kept count of. Doesn't make me a good fisherman just makes in the right place at the right time. Everyone caught big fish there if they put their time in it just came down to having the right fish at the right time. Nothing soothes the soul more though than spending the day thigh deep at the head of a nice run in the middle of the woods. I miss the hunting and fishing up there. In case you can't see I am green with envy!!!!!

29-Dec-17

bowandspear's embedded Photo
Freedive Spearfishing! I own New England Freedive Spearfishing Co and this is my #1 passion. Sure we can shoot great inshore fish but nothing beats diving 1600 ft of water 130+ miles offshore in the North East Canyons chasing monster wahoo, yellowfin and bug eye! A big mako, hammerhead, dusky or 500 lb blue marlin coming up from 100 ft visibility to get the blood moving and make you realize you alive!! Here's a pic of 90 lb wahoo my friend and I shot out there. I'm on the right. But after Jan first it's ice fishing and Speargun building until warmer waters and fish arrive.

Excellent bass guys! Let's Go I remember your McKenzie post last year. I drool over that boat. The most legendary bass boat ever made in our area. I saw an old Jones Bros last year at Cuttyhunk while diving and had to swim over and see if it was you. Now I know it's tagged "Let's Go"! I lobster dive around Plymouth all season, let's get together and Let's Go!

29-Dec-17
Ice fishing... Maple tree tapping.... Fishing stripers in the Ct river.. then surfcasting...But hopefully get a ongoing medical issue rectified...

29-Dec-17

Typo above: meant tobtype big eye. I hate the phone. Hers a GoPro pic of a 14 ft great hammerhead out there who at one point i had to give a kick to notify him I wasn't on the sushi platter that day. Guys it's bow hunting under water, you did not know what you are missing !

29-Dec-17

bowandspear's Link
Let's Go - have some good lobster spots around Plymouth, check it this video. Let's Go!

29-Dec-17
Bowandspear that's awesome!!!!! I don't know what I am missing but I do know one thing I am the top predator on land where I hunt. Sharks are fun to watch on shark week but I am scared to death of them in the water!!!! I nominate your new screen name to be " Big Cahones "

I have spent some time out at the canyons and it is truly a wild and vast ocean that is unforgiving and will humble a person real quick. I tip my hat to you sir!

You da man!!!

29-Dec-17
Bowandspear that's awesome!!!!! I don't know what I am missing but I do know one thing I am the top predator on land where I hunt. Sharks are fun to watch on shark week but I am scared to death of them in the water!!!! I nominate your new screen name to be " Big Cahones "

I have spent some time out at the canyons and it is truly a wild and vast ocean that is unforgiving and will humble a person real quick. I tip my hat to you sir!

You da man!!!

29-Dec-17
Ha Ha Will, ejection fractions, cardiac output , SA Node, STEMI. You busting my balls. Will, run a brass bead head olive WoolyBugger on a fast retrieve through the Y pool when everyone else is throwing a size 24 ant. You will piss off a lot of people. Nice mylar and copper twist on that, your the man. Do you need any feathers, I haven't tied in a long time,

29-Dec-17
Xi - No you are making me want to dig into the photo bin and post a bunch of fly pics... Maybe this weekend Ill do that :). You are SOOO right on the Y pool. Best time there in years was my birthday last year. It was classic april - nasty rain and like 40 degrees. Usually I skip it for less popular sections, but there were just 2 guys so I said what the hell. I was on the first current from the bubbler arm and was catching an occasional fish on #20 scuds... I fish 5x flouro there - no more 7x or 8x. to hard on the fish. Anyway, the guy next to me is occasionally landing a fish, but keeps breaking off with 8x and is enjoying talking about it. So... I break open my streamer box. I had a 4-5" long black sculpin with a "sculpin helmet" on it in there from a recent trip to the Millers. On it goes with the 5x on the 11foot nymphing rod :). I lob that beast out and it lands like I just tossed and orange into the river! ha ha ha! The two guys look - startled. But for about 45' I caught what felt like fish after fish - legit about 15-20. It was awesome. I do the same in the summer - fishing 2-2.5" long chernobyl ants next to the guys whisping #30 midge emergers and catch a lot of fish... But the "looks" are worth more :)

You fish there much? How about the dang browns that are growing massive on the booming brookie population! The state has electro shocked 7-9# browns in there the past few years! The brookies are awesome too - I got one last year that was wild and 20" long (on the aforementioned cherynobyl ant :))!

Fun river that proves how well catch and release works for sure!

29-Dec-17
I shark fish often and bow and spear ur nuts....no way I'm jumping in with them! you are not top of the food chain in the ocean.....just sayin

29-Dec-17

huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
I like fishing!
I like fishing!
But I'm also a hardcore ski bum, so I'm not in any hurry for spring to come.

30-Dec-17

Bones1918's embedded Photo
Ugh I hate you all for making me want to go fishing more than breathe.

30-Dec-17

DeanMan's embedded Photo
DeanMan's embedded Photo
Thanks to Dth for taking me and my daughter and buddy out!!! We had a blast catching stripers!!! Shawn , Joceln and I STILL talk about that day!

30-Dec-17

Any of you guys ever make it out to the hooter buoy? It's about 6 miles south of wasque point MV at the drop off. East to west Sand bar is about 15 feet deep and the drop off goes to 100 or more. Needless to say it's an amazing fishing spot. Stripers are release only (its federal water) but the false albacore and atlantic Bonito fishing is nothing short of incredible. You can also catch blue and maco sharks and if you get realllllky lucky, bluefin, yellowfin and white Marlin. I've never picked up a tuna there but I've seen white Marlin in my spread and I've heard about guys who pick up tuna. It's an AM bite, usually best fun sun up til 10:30 or 11. You can still catch fish after that but it's only going to be monster bluefish or black bass (not that that's a bad thing)

We usually have a fish on every 15 mins, fish til the cooler is full and then head into OB harbor for a beer.

And if you're never eaten an Atlantic Bonito, it's one of the tastiest fish in the ocean.

Disclaimer: please don't go out there if you're in a 20' or less boat. It's deep water meeting shallow water and it can kick up from flat calm to Hawaii 5/0 20' breaking waves in second flat. Not for rookies, but it just might be the best fishing spot on Cape cod. Pic related.

30-Dec-17
Incredible fish you guys, I used to fish the daylights out of the CT river for stripers. Now Im to busy chasing turkeys in 3 states, congrats !

30-Dec-17
Hahaha that was fun wasn't it. deanman that girl of yours will put most of the guys I see fishing on the canal to shame. She flat out can fish!!!

You guys will have to come down and do a nighttime trip with me for the toothy ones. Most of the time we are back home by 1:30-2 am so you can still get family time in during the day. I would like to see her hooked into something over a hundred pounds

30-Dec-17
Fishing, shellfishing, camping, freedive Spearfishing, paddle boarding, boating, lobster diving, kayaking, yeah we live for the outdoors in this castle. My kiddos are total water babies.

30-Dec-17
Shawn I just told her and we are up for it buddy!!!

30-Dec-17

B&M Baked 's embedded Photo
Nice flag yellow tails in Key West, FL
Nice flag yellow tails in Key West, FL
Some nice pictures to take away the winter time blues - yellow tails and sailfish (Key West) and 249 pound halibut (Alaska).

30-Dec-17

Sailfish in Key West, FL
Sailfish in Key West, FL
Some nice pictures to take away the winter time blues - yellow tails and sailfish (Key West) and 249 pound halibut (Alaska).

30-Dec-17

249 pound halibut in Alaska
249 pound halibut in Alaska

30-Dec-17
Nice man !.. ^^^^ ...

30-Dec-17
Awesome Dean!!! It is a lot closer than the canal To you guys too. We will keep in touch throughout the winter and spring. Usually starts to get good when the water temps hit 67 plus. We have a fire and some drinks with lots of venison and striper on the grills we bring. Sort of like a tailgate party on the beach. Lol

30-Dec-17
B&M - when fish weigh a good deal more than most adult men... well, THAT IS A BIG FISH!

30-Dec-17

Murphy31's embedded Photo
I striper fish every day from the end of April till the second week of June. South Hadley Ma no where near the ocean though. I shad fish too.

30-Dec-17

04-Jan-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
Spartan Race.
Spartan Race.
I don't hunt much of anything else other than turkey. But I've gotten fond of fishing again....got a place on a lake in NH....

04-Jan-18
Nice bass - and fire leap Hick!

05-Jan-18

biggest one I've pulled from the lake to date Will. 5.25#....not giant but I'll take it. I've seen an 8# caught by a neighbor...crazy.

sorry about the shirtlessness....whiter than the whitest whiteman. lol

this is also what I'll be focusing on in the off season. :)

05-Jan-18

Spartan71's embedded Photo
Killington 2016
Spartan71's embedded Photo
Killington 2016
Hickstick is that fire jump Barre? I try to combine long trail runs with scouting new areas. Good to cover ground quickly but pretty much limited to somewhat established trails.

05-Jan-18
Mike,fix your pic.

I was diving for lobster with BowNSpear & QDiver last year. Freediving and getting some nice bugs. I look over about 35' from me is a white shark, good size, probably 15' or more. One of the most awesome things I ever saw in the water. The next week they closed the beaches in Plymouth because of the toothy swimmers.

05-Jan-18
Most awesome!?!? I'd have a heart attack!!!! I don't go above my head in the ocean...

07-Jan-18
Yes Jeff. That's Barre from 2016. I did the trifecta in 2015, Barre Sprint & Super, Killington Beast. 2016 kinda sucked for racing injuries. I did the BoneFrong in may, but then had to blow off the Sprint & killington with shoulder & knees....2017 started off with cervical spinal stenosis. Ended up only doing Fenway.

Planning on BoneFrong again to start off 2018.

• Sitka Gear