stillhunter 30-Dec-17
captain 31-Dec-17
brooktrout59 31-Dec-17
Ungie01201 02-Jan-18
BruceP 02-Jan-18
Will 02-Jan-18
BruceP 02-Jan-18
29-Dec-17
Nope, not the Bette Middler song (bahhh ha ha ha!) With the news constantly showing highlights and low lights of 2017, it got me curious - what were your hunting high and low lights this year?

For me - Turkey season was awesome - except opening day :).. Opening day I couldnt buy a gobble... The rest of the season I couldnt avoid birds gobbling. The high lights though were missing a gorgeous tom at about 10-15yds. I just pulled it - ooph. But hey, that's a success when you call them in. The bird I shot a week later was a big tom, and well colored, but the hunt was awesome with three mature long beards working round a stone wall, spitting and drumming the whole way in - it was awesome.

Deer season started odd - just low motivation for trail cams this year, and then some late scouting time turned into hunting when I realized I forgot to apply for a MA Antlerless Tag - dont be like me. Turned that into a positive by deciding to hunt CT again. Saw many deer down there. Passed a small buck, probably a 4pt, but videoed it for the kids which was fun. I shot a nice buck here, and then saw a few more deer but never had another shot in MA. I did miss one flat out shooting over it's back in CT, a nice 8pt. And then nicked a mega deer here two days before shooting the buck I got. Ugh.

Overall, 2017 has been really fun, I've learned a lot, gotten humbled, and been lucky to put some wild game in the freezer. How about you all - what's your 2017 hunting review so to speak?

29-Dec-17
Like you, Will, my year was one of highs and "others." Back in January, I decided to be bow only through the year. I was blessed with 2 toms in the spring and 5 deer in the fall... all with the bow.

Back in August, a little over a month before friends and I were to leave for our annual PA hunt, I suffered a freak physical setback. I had a pinched ulnar nerve in my back, which progressively caused loss of strength in my left arm and hand. I was hoping it would "un-pinch" and I'd get my strength back. It didn't... and, still hasn't. It appears permanent. Anyway, a week before we left for PA, I turned the power down on my Mathews to try taking some shots. I couldn't draw the bow without it coming out of my left hand... my thumb simply gave way when I drew. So, I fashioned a "fix" with an arm/wrist brace (for carpel tunnel sufferers) and the handle of a crescent wrench that basically became a metal thumb. It worked. I used it when I got my first deer on opening morning in PA. Eventually, thru a slight change in shooting form, I was able to draw the bow without the metal thumb and got another doe in PA and then 2 bucks and a doe here in MA.

All I have to say is getting old ain't for sissies. It has been a struggle to do many things I took for granted when hunting... things as simple as putting a glove on... taking twice as long to climb a tree... the simple task of field dressing a deer (thank you Fran & Mark). But, I still got out there, and plan to continue bowhunting as long as I can. In fact, it felt so great to go totally bow this year, I'm thinking about giving all of my guns to my youngest son.

29-Dec-17
Worst year ever for me. Last January shot a big bobcat and never found it. Turkey season all the Toms I heard flew down and went the other way. Work killed my deer season so I only saw 2. I would say the highlight was watching my 11 month old pup put up 14 pheasants in her first year out. Oh also sat a bunch of days for a bear and didn’t see a one. I’m not sure if MA sucks or if I’m just the most unlucky person alive. I won’t even bring up the dog eating a rock and costing me $4500. Let’s just say I’m glad this year is over.

29-Dec-17
I had one of best years in the woods it started off with chasing grouse and woodcock with my 1 year old Vizsla up in northern NH with great dog work with some off shooting but thats part of the fun. November comes around and I'm ready to focus on my deer hunting in Mass with stands hung and cams showing promise i saw more deer and was fortunate enough to harvest my first buck with a bow, and be apart of my friends first ever kills. While hunting his third season he was able to harvest two mature does with a bow. The low for the year was making a poor shot on a coyote, other than that 2017 season was one to remember!

29-Dec-17
2017 started off with neck pain and hand/ fingers numbness. No ice fishing and limited fishing season. Had neck surgery (ACDF) in May to correct problem and missed turkey season. In Sept. was drawn for Colorado bow elk season. Between 3 of us we never seen an elk in 9 days hunting. ( This was our 7th trip and worst trip ever) Mass bow season missed one deer with recurve. Shotgun season hit one buck with compound bow/rage BH, good hit, never recovered. Muzzleloader season deer seen no shots taken within range. First season in several years not to harvest 2 deer. Tough year. Looking forward to 2018.

30-Dec-17
2017 was good to me. Got the two mass turkeys and one turkey in Nh. Also called one in and watched my buddy kill his first bird. Caught a million stripers at the canal. Got a deer early season in Nh, and 3 deer with the bow in mass. Also got two at the blue hills which were my first ever deer with a gun. Man did it fly by tho!

30-Dec-17
Richard... 9 days in Colorado and none of you even saw an elk??? Man, that had to be miserable. I give you and your buddies kudos for just sticking it out.

30-Dec-17
Mixed bag for me this year. Killed 2 in January during PA later season. Didn’t hunt turkey due to work schedule. Hunted elk in Wyoming but didn’t punch my tag. Great hunt even though I didn’t kill. Will definitely be back. Killed a small buck in MA in October but that was it on the home front. Back to PA in Nov where I killed a good doe. Hunted Missouri during the rut and never released an arrow. Saw plenty but no big bucks. I’m back in PA right now as I type this. Killed 2 doe since Wed and we have today before we come home. I hunted a lot but it went so fast.

Jimbo, I feel your pain. Getting old is no fun. Been good this year (knock on wood) but i’ve been dealing with shoulders, bad back and tired lungs for awhile now. Hope your back straightens out soon. All you young guys take care of yourselves.

30-Dec-17
2017 MA season was good to me! I was able to find 3 sheds in zone 5 and a moose dead head. Unfortunately the moose had dropped his antlers. Turkey season was fantastic! Filled both tags and helped others get on birds. I have been mentoring a young man who just loves being in the woods when he can. Did not expect to get out much for deer season due to a family member being told she had cancer. I did manage to get out here and there during archery season which I was blessed with a small buck. I spent less time during bow season than normal but seemed to be in the right place at the right time when I did get out. Passed on some does and young bucks during archery in hopes of a big buck. That big buck came during 2nd wk of shot gun for me. I have been blessed!

30-Dec-17
Jimbo, all our previous trips resulted in sightings and or harvests. We went the last week of bow season, which is after ML season and they doubled the ML tag allotment in that area. Also high winds and rain didn't help. Better luck next time. At least we all got along fine.

30-Dec-17
After having killed a Big Tom years ago with a bow on my first try, and a few after that I just lost interest when one ran away with 25 dollars worth of arrow.. It seem that I had better luck just waiting for them to come to me at home. Now at my new home I could drop a brick on one out the window on more days than not. So I'm trying to get creative , maybe a sling shot or scare them to death ... Perhaps a rope trick.

Bay fishing was fun but very few keepers. Ill be joining the crowd eventually at the canal for a few big ones . Chowder with local quahogs ... I'm a happy man.

I had a good deer season and learned the habits of my local deer (and "hunters") . In large part, I measure my success in how many I let pass and if I don't get picked off . First morning just as the light was legal I had a big doe at 20 yards for 10 minuets and had many more close encounters in the early bow season .That was a good start. I lost count on "deer passed" at a dozen with my bow in hand and at least 6 with a Muzzle-loader which Is what I stick with for gun season. I passed on a local buck twice that is showing great promise for next year and saw him dogging a big doe under my stand. He has done his work well and I expect a big addition to the healthy population .

I finally I took one deer as the cold set in then went back to Buck hunting. I wouldn't mind one more but no more than that for my needs. I am more interested in figuring out the Mature bucks and "hunting smart" than total kills.

I would say this an above average season for does but I was surprised at not seeing more bucks . Sadly, I am seeing and learning about far too much unethical behavior in my neck of the woods which accounts for big rack scarcity. Then again , there are a few giants out there that have been educated also. Now to get on their path.

Next year has begun .

30-Dec-17
Mud Man Memories,..

Great seaon getting back into the sway of things and trees.

Next year has begun!

30-Dec-17

stillhunter's embedded Photo
stillhunter's embedded Photo
2017 started slow, called coyotes several times saw zero, called turkeys every chance i got saw zero, i was fly fishing every week for trout cought one. Went stripper fishing half dozen times no keepers, but did get some schoolies on the fly rod which is pritty awsome. Got one woodcock, three pheasant, and zero ducks but not for lack of effort. Deer season had me worried, lots of accorns is a problem for me. I have houndreds of acres or red oak to hunt and two stands of white. Im not saying thier isnt white oak around i just dont have access to it and once the red oak accorns get more pallitable later in the season breading has deer hard enough to locate. Ive been saying sence September that the last week of december if we had cold and snow would be my most perdictable chance. I worked off my notes from last year all season and managed several close calls, but in the end never took a shot til the last week of december. BUT knowing my spot well enough to know my best time and location and how the large accorn drop out hear effected it months out is pritty cool.

31-Dec-17
My season in NH started with sighting of deer the first and second day of the opener then the following week I had three bear not even twenty yards from my stand My pa season was out of this world with sighting everyday and then again taking my six pointer on my Birthday The buck I took was fighting with a 4 pointer for ten min before the six became mine Bow season in mass found me hurting more and more each day going top the spine Dr getting shots and being on nerve blocker meds missed all of shot gun and muzzle loader season for now im in constant pain going down my leg looks like i will have to go under the knife to get it fixed so over all Watching a buck fight in Pa and taking one of those deer the season was a win for me

31-Dec-17

brooktrout59's embedded Photo
2017 Kansas Buck in Velvet
brooktrout59's embedded Photo
2017 Kansas Buck in Velvet
2017 was my best season Hunting ever. Took two large Tom's in Maine with my Browning 12 Gauge.

Deer season Began in September with my largest deer ever, Big Kansas Buck taken in September during its Disabled season with my No-Cam.

Next deer was a button Buck taken with my Omega on Prudence during their Para hunt.

Third deer was a 6 point taken at Otis with my Omega during it's Para hunt.

Fourth was a large Doe taken during archery here in Zone11.

Plenty of Venison in the freezer and memories to last a lifetime!

02-Jan-18
2017 was a successful year for me! Got remarried in early January '17 to an awesome woman who is wonderful to my 2 daughters. Turkey season was successful with me getting 3 nice heavy longbeards (MA & NY) and ended with my daughter shooting a stud tom as well all on her own. Deer season started out great with that same daughter shooting that 182lb 8pt I posted earlier this season. My bow season was so so. I did manage to shoot one mature buck w/ the bow in MA and a spike in NY. I did miss a small buck in MA and wounded a decent 8 (I think) in NY prior to killing the spike. NY gave me many opportunities early on, but then slowed down. MA was very slow this year for me, however, I did have some giants on cam.

02-Jan-18
Spring turkey was good even though I didn't even see a bird. They always flew down in the wrong direction but the early morning thunder in the trees was amazing. Can't wait for spring.

I shot 2 deer and had shot opportunities on 4 more that I didn't take for various reasons. Can't complain.

Lost access to my primary spot but also learned how awesome other people can be. Will helped me zero in a few other spots he knew of. I only hunted one of them one time but saw 2 deer. Thanks Will!

Overall 2017 ended up being a pretty good year thanks in large part to MA_Bowhunter. I think it was the previous year that he invited me onto the farm he had been hunting for several years. When I lost access to my primary spot this year and another place completely dried up the farm became my go to spot. That's where I shot both deer and listened to the morning tree-thunder in the spring. Don't remember if I've said it in person but thanks Eric, I really appreciate it! Hoping I can find a really sweet spot so I can return the favor.

02-Jan-18
This thread is awesome! :) Very cool to see the adventures of 2017... and excitement for 18 in place already! Bruce, you may not want to go back there... I recently learned one of Moons buddies lives out here and he and Moons have hunted a few of them... There may be no deer there next year :) ha ha ha! KIDDING MOONS!

02-Jan-18
Huh, I've seen pictures of moons on the site. I'll just look for him and follow him around LOL

• Sitka Gear