Dthfrmabove 30-Dec-17
VtTransplant 30-Dec-17
Jebediah 30-Dec-17
Pi 30-Dec-17
BruceP 30-Dec-17
Will 30-Dec-17
Ungie01201 31-Dec-17
30-Dec-17
Good luck fellas. Hit it hard today, can't get back in the woods for ten months!!!

30-Dec-17
Oh I’m cold good luck everyone

30-Dec-17
Heading out, good luck

30-Dec-17
Alot if movement early today! Sat a ladder stand just inside power line in SC z11. Had movement from 7-9, 9:00 had a couple come through parallel at 100 yds never once giving me a shot opportunity with the Hawkin, ugh. 10:00 had to get out and warm the toes. With this front moving in I am back in same stand at 1:30 for the afternoon. Good luck everyone!!!! Great conditions for the last day.

30-Dec-17
Ill be slipping into a corner field for the last few hours . Upper respiratory issue has me a bit concerned.

Good luck folks . Be careful getting out of the woods ( use a light) you know how some get in the last moments ...

30-Dec-17
Going out this afternoon only the second time since the beginning of shotgun. Lots of family responsibilities lately. Good luck everyone.

30-Dec-17
Ok so im walking up the side of the road at first light, because i parked in a different spot so tg at i could use the road to get closer to where i wanted to be before crunching my way in to sit. Now any of you out this morning might guess i was dressed like an Eskimo, i was also carrying a sleeping bag that i use for a little extra warmth. I young guy stops, puts down his window and asked me if i need a ride, he tells me its too cold to be out hear. I said no im fine im going into the woods. His jaw drops, he says you cant do that man you'll freeze, you need to go to a shelter. I said i appreciate you stopping, but im not homeless im going deer hunting. Im not sure that made him feel any better.

30-Dec-17
Funny stuff Stillhunter. I think I would have asked for some spare change before laughing .

30-Dec-17
ha ha. thats hilarious!!! good of the kid though.

30-Dec-17
That is funny stuff right there.

30-Dec-17
Good luck to all that are out, and stay warm! I'm doing my last hunt of the year in Texas while visiting my parents.

30-Dec-17
Now I remember why I hunt early season. This cold weather is not very appealing to me anymore. Lol

30-Dec-17
Holy crap I see a deer. Lol

30-Dec-17
And it is waking away!!!!!

30-Dec-17
I am sitting in my rut stand with a therma seat all cozy. And the deer walked under my cold rickety climber 70 yds from me. So that's the way it's going to end huh????

30-Dec-17
Last chance. Sitting at a vantage point. Hoping for early movement. No wind which is awesome. Come on deer. Move.

30-Dec-17
Pi in the sky. Climber style. Made plenty of noise to give them a fair chance.

30-Dec-17

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
One skipper down. i misjudged the size from 22 ft up and took a deer I know from previous sightings. Got down from the stand to confirm kill and climbed right back up till dark

30-Dec-17
Still hunter ha ha. DFA hang in there! What a pretty last sit with the snow coming down. Have the hot seat, bibs and everything else I own that's warm.

30-Dec-17
Beautiful morning, I actually kicked up a buck. I also stumbled onto a clearing in the very thick stuff I have been poking through (right where the deer was bedded). Couple of big rubs on some 3inch diameter trees and some nice large deer prints in numerous spots. Went back after lunch and found a place for my new camera. Also spent some time clearing a path to this place. I can't believe I have been within 100 feet of this spot numerous times and never saw it. Next season.....

30-Dec-17
Good luck wish I was out with you all

30-Dec-17

UrbanHunter's embedded Photo
UrbanHunter's embedded Photo
wish I had blood on my boots!.... way to go dfrabove!!! sure is pretty out....

30-Dec-17
Well I gotta tell ya. That's the last time I do that !!! Till next year. It was cold out. Not as cold as some of the days you diehards hunted but still cold. Sorry no pics today. Will Post some tomorrow if I can. That's if my hands and toes thaw out. Lol

30-Dec-17
Congratulations Shawn! Heart for dinner! If you didn't put a hole in it.

30-Dec-17
Congrats again DFA, way to get it done last light of the season. After a surprising exciting morning, I had zero action from 1:30 until the end. Thank you all for making thus season a great one! Cheers

30-Dec-17

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
seems like the coyotes are moving em around quite a bit. two days in a row with a coyote sighting and fresher dog tracks than deer tracks... 2 different spots in Z11. based on this track tho I'd say one big boy made it thru

30-Dec-17
Congrats DTH way to go on the last day! We did some drives today seen about 20 deer but no one got a shot off. Fun day tho.

30-Dec-17
had small doe prints in my boot prints on the walk out.... they won today....no complaints about this season....happy New Year, all.

30-Dec-17

Eastie778's embedded Photo
Eastie778's embedded Photo
Good stuff DTF! Even my laser focus couldn't get the job done today! Lol. Better luck next year.

30-Dec-17
hahahha eastie be careful your face doesn't freeze like that!!!! I got in the heat in the car and my fingers hurt all the way home. I don't know how you guys hunt late season in this cold. Luckily I don't do it very often or I would give up hunting. Lol

30-Dec-17
Well that was fun. Till next October guys. Have a great 2018.

30-Dec-17
Wrapped up the last evening in the same tree as the first morning in October. No sightings in either case, but a good season in between, despite coming up empty. Decent deer numbers, a couple up-close monsters that were blown opportunities, and plenty of lessons learned. Hopefully will be able to deploy all these lessons while I'm still able to hunt. Thanks all for another great year on this web site of good advice and interesting stories.

30-Dec-17
And ... I got settled in at 1:30 or so, 25 feet up. Just about 2:30 From across the open field someone yells "get the fudge out of my stand ". (But Not fudge) What ? I return with my best Robert De Niro " You talkin' to me ?" Soon a man approaches and he "is sorry" " but it looked like I was in his stand " from his driveway which crosses open land about a thousand feet away. I was at least a hundred yards away but the angle must have been deceptive and Orange does pop this time of year. Well, I didn't make a fuss and probably made a friend. We chatted and that went well but the rest of the day was uneventful, until I dropped a glove. That's OK one is enough. A spare hat became a substitute.

Somehow I injured my hand and it began to cramp up . ( maybe from trying to flip that fella off and really make it stand out )Kidding. So I got to thinking about just how hard it would be to get down if it got worse. Good thing it was frozen.

At least I get points for keeping the peace . Right ? Its all about credit you know ! Maybe it is an investment in next years hunting ... I did learn a few pieces of information and got to know "the next guy over there" and he got to know a few things too , one being ,"its better not to yell before he is sure". He must have felt a bit silly . That has value . Well, now he knows his neighbor . That ain't blood on the boots but I'll take what is given by The One above.

And ... Yes it was cold .

30-Dec-17
Say the last 2 hours and saw nothing. I was warm though.

Many layers today: light weight long johns and then fleece, fleece, down, fleece, outer shell. I looked like a dough boy. My toes were cold though. Definitely need new boots.

30-Dec-17
Congrats DFA!

Sounds like some fun or at least exciting hunts.

An encouraging hunt was had by my brother from another mother and his son Thursday - Z5 - opposite side of the road from Z6, they were hunting a well fed oak flat and had 10 does feed through at last light. That's frigging amazing out there. He was there tonight, the boy stayed home, and we were texting during his hunt, no dice tonight. Said it was pleasant, and quite warm from 30 feet (yep - YIKES) up a barren red oak.

We are on to 2018.

31-Dec-17
Nothing in am. Buddy shot a nice zone 2 10 to finish things off. 515 pm last night 3 does amd 8 pt in yard! Of course. Laughing at me. Lol

• Sitka Gear