spike78 31-Dec-17
Moons22 31-Dec-17
Jebediah 31-Dec-17
xi 01-Jan-18
Ungie01201 02-Jan-18
Will 02-Jan-18
Pi 02-Jan-18
31-Dec-17
Why is it a bad idea to hunt turkeys from up in a tree? Is it because it's unsafe, or ineffective, or both? Or something else altogether?

31-Dec-17
Because it is better to be mobile for turkeys. I run and gun and sometimes cover a lot of ground before I hear a gobble. A stand would limit you and basically be a one and done deal.

31-Dec-17
Jeb if you know where the bird is roosted, and you can sneak in undetected, hunt him from a stand. Where we're from there is no "run and gun". Hopefully he's close to the property you have permission on. Hop in your stand 478 feet from the neighbors house and kill him!

31-Dec-17
Tried some run and gun but had to run in such a small circle I got dizzy.

01-Jan-18
That's funny right there ! I keep forgetting you Easties got a little bit tighter quarters then us mountain folk.

02-Jan-18
hahaha.. I don't bowhunt turkeys... I am always on the move... esp after they come off roost. If my initial set up doesn't work I'll find a way to make it work. I can't wait for spring turkey. My spots look pretty good.

02-Jan-18
I'm pumped. the past few light winters have taken the "good" turkey population in the Z5 and 6 areas I mostly hunt them and made them better. Unless this cold snap lingers, I'm really optimistic for a fun spring.

Jeb, I think some of the issue is mobility, but also, I suspect they can "hear" the difference. In other words, if you were calling and a tom was coming, at some point, I think he'd get suspicious of why this hen is still in a tree. And he may not fully commit.. That may be over thinking... but it feels realistic to me from an experience point of view.

Turkey's are dumb as rocks... overall... But what smarts they have are basically 80% devoted to not being eaten, 15% to making little turkeys and 5% to food. At least "in" season. In the fall maybe it's 20% food 80% not being eaten.

Because of that, they seem really good at noticing things that are out of place in the woods... Like a hen in a tree when they are on the ground.

Then again, this may just be my preferences speaking too... I'd rather sling my pump gun over my shoulder and start walking during turkey season, or even drive spot to spot to spot then walk... Than sit in one spot and wait or call for hours hoping they work through an area. It's odd really. Gun deer hunting - meh. I do it, but it's much less enjoyable to me. Bow Turkey hunting, meh. I'd actually rather use a gun.

02-Jan-18
Jeb , come on over and you can sit in my warm house drinking coffee . When the local flock comes by we could grab them out the window. I'm thinking of using a net ... It's would not exactly be a hunting experience. Yu know ?

Mix it up a bit. The stand will work if they are walking past it . Find the birds and watch for where they roost at night , be close in the morning.

• Sitka Gear