gobbler 06-Jan-18
hookman 07-Jan-18
babysaph 07-Jan-18
stickbow21 09-Jan-18
stickbow21 09-Jan-18
gobbler 09-Jan-18
31-Dec-17

gobbler's Link
It looks like a John McCoy has taken note of the increasing demand for more mature bucks and sees that it will continue to grow.

31-Dec-17
Didn’t copy but everyone can read it in the Sunday Gazette-Mail

31-Dec-17

31-Dec-17
John McCoy: What hunters and anglers should expect in 2018 By John McCoy Staff writer·Yesterday Out with the old year, in with the new.

When they write end-of-the-year columns, some writers prefer to look back and reflect on things that happened in the previous 365 days. I prefer to look ahead at things I believe might happen in the next 365.

So, without further ado, here's what I believe 2018 has in store for West Virginia's hunters and anglers:

Elk will continue to make news.

On Jan. 23, Division of Natural Resources workers will be in Arizona, helping with the capture and processing of up to 60 elk. If all goes as hoped, those elk will be trucked to West Virginia sometime in March and released on the Tomblin Wildlife Management Area in Logan and Mingo counties.

Once there, they'll join the 23 elk already roaming those hills. In late May or early June, pregnant cows in the present herd and the new herd will give birth to calves. So by midsummer, the state's elk herd might contain as many as 100 animals.

Deer will continue to make news, too.

If the past few months were any indication, deer hunters who hope to hunt larger bucks will push even harder for regulations intended to increase the number of older-age deer.

Some of them believe a two-buck-per-year limit will do the trick; others would prefer antler-size restrictions. Still others argue for bucks to have at least three antler points per side in order to be legal.

So far, DNR officials and members of the Natural Resources Commission have declined requests to impose such regulations.

The issue hasn't gone away. If anything, big-buck advocates have become even more insistent. Look for the hue and cry to grow even louder.

Turkey hunting should be good this spring.

Two years ago, a cicada hatch throughout most of the state caused a turkey population explosion. Brood counts went up more than 300 percent. Gobblers born that year will be two years old this spring - exactly the age at which they are most prone to fall for hunters' calls.

The effort to stock fish in state waters will get a huge boost.

Major repairs to West Virginia's two warm-water hatcheries will allow workers to grow nearly as many muskellunge, walleye, catfish and hybrid striped bass as they have in the past. The reservoir and ponds at the gigantic Apple Grove hatchery have been equipped with new liners, which will allow that facility to operate once again at its full capacity. A new main pump has been installed at the smaller Palestine hatchery, and repairs to the facility's leaky reservoir should be made sometime this year.

Government officials will increase efforts to promote West Virginia's hunting and fishing.

Gov. Jim Justice's administration has had almost a year to get its bearings and figure out which way to turn the ship of state. Justice's push for statewide Sunday hunting was, at least in part, fueled by a desire to entice out-of-state hunters into staying an entire weekend instead of just overnight. It will be interesting to see if that worked.

This year will also see the implementation of DNR Director Steve McDaniel's plan to publish a trout-stocking schedule for state-park waters. Stockings will also be made at other waters within 10 miles of the designated parks.

Look for some serious crowds to show up for those stockings. In Virginia, where stocking schedules are also published, they don't have truck-followers; instead, they have "truck preceders," people who come and sit in their vehicles until the stocking truck arrives.

Remember, you read it here first. Happy New Year, everyone.

31-Dec-17
Sounds like we should send some e-mails to the governor to make sure he knows where a lot of us stand (not all) with deer management.

02-Jan-18
Expect it to resonate!

05-Jan-18
Not a word about Grouse habitat improvement. What you say Gobbler?

05-Jan-18
Actually the DNR has that as one of their priorities. Since the National Forests are under new leadership and has at least shown a willingness to actually manage the National Forests the DNR has been in close contact with them and will hopefully in the future be involved with managing the forestin a way that will improve the habitat for grouse and other wildlife like Deer, Turkey, etc. the DNR is wanting to do habitat management on WMAs as well.

05-Jan-18
Is the DNR going to tell us the date of the elk release of the 60 elk from Arizona we are purchasing. I would like to be there to see the release. I know they probably don't have specifics yet.

05-Jan-18
I’m not sure if they are going to have a ceremony like last year or not yet. I don’t think all of the details have been worked out quite yet. A lot is going to depend on how long USDA determines we have to keep them in pen before they can be released. Last year it was 30 days. Now the requirement is 90 days but the DNR is working with them to see if it can be shortened. 3 months is a long time.

Last year they had the ceremony but didn’t actually release the elk st ceremony because they were concerned they might spook too much and get hurt with all the people around. The DNR biologist went back later that night and opened the gate.

05-Jan-18
Good news then Greg. I’ve been concerned over this issue regarding what grouse we have left. I understand Mr. Krantz got a promotion and I’ve yet to track down the new grouse biologist. I didn’t receive my grouse survey and sample packet this year for some reason. Maybe you can lean on the Director and the Governor since they are both bird hunters. ;)

05-Jan-18
I used to see grouse all the time in Harrison County but don't see them near as often now. Of course I never used to see coyotes and bears around Harrison County either.

05-Jan-18
I think because of the Director and Governor it has become a priority :.^)

06-Jan-18
I think the grouse decline is due to a fowl borne virus isn't it ? I'm asking so don't beat me up , but I have heard that .

06-Jan-18
I haven’t heard that Jack? Not saying it isn’t , just haven’t heard it. What I hear is loss of habitat . Grouse need early successional habitat. Most of our forest is just too mature for them to thrive.

06-Jan-18
Most of grouse began to disappear in my area as turkey population increased , not sure why that is? any ideas ?

06-Jan-18
Food competition? I don't know how much their diets overlap, but a big group of turkeys can vacuum clean an area pretty quick.

06-Jan-18
They have been working on grouse habitat improve in Sleepy Creek WMA for quite a few years. I don’t hunt them so not for sure if it’s working or not.

06-Jan-18
When are they going to release rhe rattlesnakes? :)

06-Jan-18
I think they dropped rattlesnakes from a helicopter last summer LOL

06-Jan-18
Our forests have been maturing since the 50s and 60s, Turkey trapping and releasing started in early 70s I think and continued for a couple of decades. During this time the forests continued to mature and become less favorable grouse habitat . I think the decline of grouse and upswing of turkey had more to do with turkey relocation and forests maturing than any interaction between grouse and turkey

06-Jan-18
I agree that they can interact and not really hurt each others population . But I heard that the grouse were declining to several different things , Habitat loss, predation to nests and chicken borne viruses of some sort .

06-Jan-18
West Nile Virus is supposingly one of the factors in grouse decline. Correct on the loss of successional forest. You can love a forest to literal death.

Increase in predators also. That being nest robbing vermin, coyotes, and all those dag-gone hawks. I counted 7 separate hawks between Athens and Pipestem park one day.

06-Jan-18
Hawks are a definite factor . Back in the day hunters helped keep hawks in check. Can’t do that anymore

I wasn’t that aware of the virus. I’ll read up on that . Thanks, u learn something every day.

07-Jan-18
The dropping of alligators is next.

07-Jan-18
I hear there have been several fisherman that have seen alligators while fishing in the smokehole

09-Jan-18
Talking shop with other grouse hunters, most are seeing some above 3200 ft in elevation. Below that grouse are few and far between. There some still holding on by a thread on some old strip mines but not many.

I believe there is a Pa. grouse biologist that doing a study on West Nile virus. Yea its real! Great read and video also. Take a look at it Greg.

I know Big Game is an important factor in this state but I believe the small game have been overlooked.

09-Jan-18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_KnTAt7AY

09-Jan-18
Ok, thanks

• Sitka Gear