Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Eastie778 01-Jan-18
Jimbo 01-Jan-18
jdrdeerslayer 01-Jan-18
Cougar 01-Jan-18
xi 01-Jan-18
01-Jan-18
I have some day time availability the next couple of days and thought I would get in the woods, hang a couple of camera's, and do some hinge cutting. I'm wondering if I should focus on any particular variety of tree to add to the food supply? Also if I can do anything else to help the herd make it through a tough winter? I know the gut microbiom changes in the winter months so feeding is out, and I also know deer will adapt and survive without my help. I just figured even if it helps a little, it's worth doing. Plus you can't beat the scouting post season! Still a big kid playing in the woods here. Thanks for any suggestions in advance guys, Bryan

01-Jan-18
This extended period of extreme cold will take a toll on the deer herd. Any deer that went into this with an issue (sick, too old, too young, not enough fat reserves, wounded, etc.) might not make it through to spring. If your hinge cuts provide access to natural food sources, I'd say you're helping all of the deer... which might make the difference for some of the more vulnerable ones.

01-Jan-18
the cold isn't as bad as you think, deep snow with a ice crust is much worse on the deer heard. want to help go out and kill some Coyotes and bobcats

01-Jan-18
coyotes are running em ragged in the 3 spots I've walked thru last 2 days... plenty of yotes Z11 public

01-Jan-18
Cougar, hunt them. Spook them, make them nervous. Let them starve, not the deer.

• Sitka Gear