DMC65 01-Jan-18
Jon Stewart 01-Jan-18
DMC65 01-Jan-18
Burly 02-Jan-18
BIG BEAR 02-Jan-18
DMC65 04-Jan-18
Bows the way 05-Jan-18
01-Jan-18
9 Michigan bear points . I have permission to hunt almost a square mile of private in the southeast corner of montmorency county not far from Fletcher's pond. My dilemma is that I have a place on public land scouted south of munising and and I really like the spot but am concerned about hound hunting pressure there. I will be hunting bait in either spot. Anyone out there with any input? The munising spot intrigues me alot because I found a bear rub that's been used by multiple boars and at least one off colored bear. My main concern is ,again , how much dog hunting goes on in the far west end of the newberry unit.

01-Jan-18
Not sure you will get Red Oak with 9 points.

1st 5 days of the first season is the quiet (no dog) season but that doesn't keep the dog hunters from baiting spots. Some will run baits to draw the bear in and then run their dogs from the bait.

01-Jan-18
Thanks for the reply Jon . Yeah , I'm aware I might not draw in either unit because of point creep. I'm not too worried about pressure at the red oak spot , just the newberry .

02-Jan-18
Which would be easiest to bait regularly ?. I am sitting on 11 waiting a few more years for Baldwin. I have great spots in the Amasa and Baraga units, but just too far for me to bait .

02-Jan-18
If you have confidence in the Newberry spot.... you could kill before the dogs can run like Jon said...... You should draw the first hunt in Newberry with 9 points.......

04-Jan-18
Baiting is definitely a concern . Red oak is half the drive of the newberry spot. I have tramped around the newberry spot quite extensively but have never been in the red oak spot. There is no reason there wouldn't be bears there cause it's a river bottom near Atlanta. I will be goin up to walk it and make the decision later this winter or early in spring. I guess the decision will be made by the gut feeling I get when I'm in that new spot . The u.p. spot has been etched in my brain since the first time I was in there 20 years ago. Thanks for the input guys!! I will post about my scouting trip when the time comes .

05-Jan-18
Im not that far from Munising. I had bears all the way to 1st of November. Dogs weren't a problem I had 3 different bears over 350lbs. We hunted the mio area for years personally I'd be headed to munising area. Either I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

• Sitka Gear