ColoBull 04-Jan-18
Yellowjacket 04-Jan-18
Yellowjacket 04-Jan-18
Ziek 04-Jan-18
Treeline 04-Jan-18
Blade 09-Jan-18
Treeline 10-Jan-18
03-Jan-18
Bear, mountain lions, and big Mulies and Antelope and maybe even moose. Lots of PM's wondering about hunting these animals in the NW units including GMU 3 now. Would like to get any input on experience, scouting, availability on public & private...the usual stuff.

04-Jan-18
I hunted 2/201 for antelope in 2012, drew a hybrid rifle tag with 7 points. Had a fun 2 day hunt with my daughter. Didn't see the numbers or quality you would expect in the hardest unit to draw in the state. I'm sure I could of found a bigger buck if I would of hunted all week but I had to get my daughter home soon and wanted to fill my tag while she was with me. Seen a few raghorn bulls, 2 BIG mule deer bucks and a ton of wild horses

04-Jan-18

THP's embedded Photo
THP's embedded Photo

04-Jan-18
Mike,

Last year (2017) I had enough points to draw elk (22), deer (10), antelope (20), and bear (4) up there in either 2 or 201. I am also sitting on max points for moose in Colorado.

I chose to focus on elk and only put in to draw the elk tag.

I did see some nice mule deer, but I would not consider it a top end trophy unit based on what I saw. I see better overall quality in a number of units that can be drawn on second choice. There were many comments about the mule deer vanishing as soon as they rubbed out, but I was finding good bucks all the way through the season. They were just doing what mule deer do. I think it may be more that most people see them early next to the roads from atvs or the truck and expect them to stay there. They don't. I know several people that had archery tags last year and they were very frustrated at the lack of deer. They were focused on Douglas Mountain and did not venture away from that area. The biggest bucks I saw in the unit were in July/August and were just out of Greystone but I did not see them during the season. I did see some good bucks (170 class) farther up on Douglas and way north. If you have good optics and are looking in the right kinds of areas, you can find them.

I saw very few antelope in Unit 2. The only ones I saw were north of the fence around the "wild horse" area. I did see two very good bucks, though. Those two probably got shot by muzzle loader or rifle hunters unless they ran across into Wyoming. The overall numbers are very low in there, however. I think that the extreme overabundance of horses in the "wild horse" pen has pushed the antelope out. There were a lot more antelope in 2 and 201 back 20 to 30 years ago. Pretty sure I will not put in for antelope up there this year.

I did not see any bears nor any sign of bears. Not unusual in Colorado as I have had probably close to 30 tags and have yet to shoot one. I think Colorado bears hate me.

I did not see any moose. I am not sure where they hang out. Maybe down by the river. It would be pretty weird to see a moose in most of the country I was in.

Based on the number of horses up there, there should be unlimited tags for horses. The horse population is so high that they are seriously impacting the range conditions, water sources and native wildlife use of the area that they are penned into. There were a few elk and deer out there that I saw moving in and out of the "wild horse pen" but they were obviously either only moving in to get water at a couple of springs or only bedding in there and moving out to feed.

04-Jan-18
"State Forest State Park... The area in and around the park, near Walden, has been named the official moose capital of Colorado. More than 600 moose live there year-round..."

I'm not sure about the hunting potential, but the base numbers sound good.

04-Jan-18

Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
I hunted antelope in 2015 in 201 and killed the buck in the picture spot and stalk. Like others I did not see the numbers or sizes of antelope I was hoping for though. Besides elk, I saw a few mule deer bucks, 2 bears and a moose all on the same mountain.

04-Jan-18

201 bear

04-Jan-18
I know you put "wild horses" in quotes. But please call them what they are. Feral horses. They are about as beneficial in natural habitat as feral hogs. Actually less so, since we can't hunt them.

04-Jan-18
Absolutely, Ziek.

Feral horses and the inability to manage them are a huge issue. One of the worst examples of Federal Legislation to mismanage resources based on emotion rather than science that I know of.

Kind of makes a guy wonder how much impact the overpopulation of these feral, non-native horses are having on the sage grouse across the west.

09-Jan-18
Are there increasing numbers of coyotes and mtn. lions impacting the deer and antelope herds in these units? About 25 years ago I think the survival rate on antelope fawns was about 15% in the Red Desert in SW Wyoming (N of these units) so the state developed a focused program to rid the Red Desert of coyotes and within a couple years the survival rate was around 50%.

10-Jan-18
Maybe. I did see quite a few coyotes up there. Unfortunately, I did not have a rifle to kill them.

• Sitka Gear