North Carolina
Contributors to this thread:
northbound 05-Jan-18
KEVINSENC 08-Jan-18
Drahthaar 18-Feb-18
Disabled-hunter 25-Mar-20
Steveeg 02-Feb-23
05-Jan-18
My sister and bil will be stationed in Jacksonville by end of month. I'm wondering about hunting near by. Would love to be able to visit and make a hunting vacation at same time. Open to hogs, deer or bear. Are there good public grounds? I'm a primarily bow guy but open to rifle, muzzle loader, even xbow if needed. When is the deer rut down there?noticed a crazy short bow season and crazy long gun season according to dnr. I'm used to Wisconsin, we get over 3 months of bow hunting, only 9 days rifle. We have to apply for bear permits for 8 years before getting a tag, sounds like NC there is otc bear tags available? Is this a sign of few hunters/ many bears?

08-Jan-18
Most of the private lands here are leased out to hunting clubs, however Holly Shelter game lands is close by to where you are talking, it can be over hunted on the edges but if you are willing to walk a ways there can be good spots found. the rut is about the same as much of the east coast, usually the second week of November. Bear Hunting is not very popular here for some reason, I love hunting bear and they can be very big here in eastern NC, 500 lbs plus many times...bow season starts in the first part of September, it goes all the way through January 1st, the only time you cant hunt with a bow is during muzzleloader season and I think that lasts 2 weeks in October. You should be able to find some hunting land up there around the base...

18-Feb-18
You can hunt with a bow the hole deer season. A few years back you couldn't bow hunt during muzzleloader. Forrest

25-Mar-20
I am new to the Onslow County area and understand there are hogs in parts of the Croatan National Forest. I am a disabled hunter and am hoping someone can help me narrow down which parts the hogs are in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

02-Feb-23
Just moved from MA. To New Bern this week. Bow hunter and target archer You guys seem to have my same questions. The whole dog scene is new to me and would love to see them in action.

• Sitka Gear