Swampy 07-Jan-18
MF 07-Jan-18
xtroutx 07-Jan-18
Tweed 07-Jan-18
Chief2 07-Jan-18
Jeff in MN 07-Jan-18
ground hunter 07-Jan-18
06-Jan-18
It's been subzero (30 degrees below average) for the last two weeks. This next week the Mercury is going to go above average.

How does this affect deer movement this time of year?

Should I set up a blind at the beach? :-)

06-Jan-18
The deer should be happy. I plan to rake the roof, been waiting for a break in temps. Might cut down some young popple trees that I want to get rid of anyway and give the deer some good browse to nibble on. Now that I know about hinge cuts I may try some of those too.

07-Jan-18
Not sure how it'll affect the deer movements, but I do know how it'll affect mine.

07-Jan-18
Deer should be happy but I'm not...Furnace stopped working last night.... at least it waited until it warmed up some! Furnace repairman was suppose to be here at midnight, he still hasn't shown up.

07-Jan-18
MF - Did you run out of wood? Just kidding my friend.

07-Jan-18
Wish I had a wood stove!

07-Jan-18
Good luck with the furnace. I presume you checked the obvious. Plenty of fuel and any valves are on, power at furnace, thermostat didn't get messed with.

07-Jan-18
Blower fan is not working...furnace thank goodness still comes on but heat is not being distributed.

07-Jan-18
Turn the power off for a little while and check any 120 volt wire connections, if there is a relay that feeds the motor you can access wiggle it, trip it by pushing it with a stick or something like that, Should be a low voltage wire at the relay too, check that. Be sure the power is off when doing this.

07-Jan-18
Furnace guy called he is on his way...we pay extra each month on our bill "service plus" so we should be covered. Thanks for the tips though

07-Jan-18
Bummer, too cold for this sort of thing. Good luck with the repairs.

07-Jan-18
Turned my heat off the November after I bought my house 14 years ago. Was 20 at the time and funds where tough then, and now it's just habit to burn wood. Best part is, 5 years ago our Township reassessed prop values. I was nervous as we improved a ton. Since I then only had wood heat so they call it seasonal residence and lowered my taxes a ton. Almost feel guiltily about how low they are. It is annoying coming home to a frozen toilet after a week up north but after a few years it's second nature.. in my younger days it was helpful to come home to a chilly house anyways-girls where less anxious to talk and more anxious to make some heat

07-Jan-18
Hope you got it going MF. Couple years ago ours would run-stop-run-stop.

Did a little searching on the web and it sounded like the control panel. Called a few places and they wanted $600.00 to $800.00 to replace it if that was what it was.

Took a chance and ordered a new one online. We have our pellet stove for heat also so I had the time to wait for it. It was delivered in a couple days and with my son and YouTube we had the furnace up and going in no time.

I have saved a ton of money using YouTube for lots of things.

07-Jan-18
DT - You Tube has been a life saver for me.

07-Jan-18
You tube helped me know how to take the front end of our dryer apart to get at the squirrel cage fan for cleaning. The fan was just packed with lint, but some fins had no lint putting the fan out of ballance. The thing roared when running, after cleaning it ran just like new. I bet it will dry way faster too with the correct amount of air flow. Without you tube it would have taken me a long time to figure it out.

07-Jan-18
Either the fan switch is bad or the blower motor is burned out . Every three year's or so take the blower out and clean the squirrel cage . You'll never burn out a blower motor again . I was a HVAC service man for along time .

07-Jan-18
I have to admit and I wont lie, I feel like a idiot. There definitely was a squealing noise and on the 23rd the furnace company is coming back to do a cleaning & tune up. The furnace would turn on but there was no heat coming out of the ductwork, THE DAMN AIR FILTER WAS PLUGGED! He told me not to buy those Allergen air filters (asked if we had allergies) they are to heavy and thick of a material, he said go buy those cheap thin filters and change them out each month. Lessen learned...geeeeeez Thanks for the concern guys.

07-Jan-18
MF, I admire your honesty,dont know if I could admit that one ;).

07-Jan-18
Worked on a friend's car one time. Couldn't figure why t wouldn't turn over....gas tank was empty.

07-Jan-18
MF I appreciate the honesty! Good story and lots of folks probably learned something from reading it, I know I did just changed my air filter!

07-Jan-18
Now that is down right funny MF, thanks for the laugh.

Now as for the heat wave. It was so nice I raked the part of my roof that has sky lites. Then shoveled enough snow that I could then use the 4 wheeler plow to do the rest. Damn if I didn't push a little too hard on the shovel and it hit solid ice and wrenched my right shoulder which is the one that is bad to start with. Fingers crossed that the pain will settle down in a day or two. Meanwhile I need to keep my elbow down close to my body.

07-Jan-18
I will be out all week, if the weather holds.....Tweed, we need to meet about the spot

• Sitka Gear