Whodat 06-Jan-18
StickFlicker 06-Jan-18
creed 06-Jan-18
Whodat 07-Jan-18
Buglmin 07-Jan-18
notags 08-Jan-18
Whodat 08-Jan-18
06-Jan-18
Hey guys. New to hunting and archery. I really appreciate the comunity you guys have made here. So a little backstory. I got into archery hunting for the challenge about 2 months ago. I know I got a long ways to go. So far I’ve gotten a few grey fox with my bow. I got a javelina tag for unit 33. I wasn’t going to attempt deer this year because I kinda figured it to be out of my league currently. Trying to learn about unit 33 for my jav tag I’ve noticed so many talking about the deer activity in the unit. So I said what can it hurt to buy a tag. I went out today and despite my best efforts I got my hopes up for atleast seeing a doe while glassing. I covered a lot of ground in my truck and about 7 miles round trip on foot. I was off of mnt lemon rd. I’m here looks for some words of encouragement, tips or anything else you guys think will help. I wasn’t really expecting to tag out on spot and stalk white tail first day out. But I just hope I’m scouting right and not wasting time and energy or teaching myself bad habits.

Thanks again for the community in this forums. It’s my only teacher

06-Jan-18
Get the best binoculars you can afford, and spend more time sitting and using them and less time hiking. A few grey fox is really an accomplishment. Many bowhunters never take one. Good luck in your new hobby.

06-Jan-18
Like StickFlicker said, binoculars. And a good tripod to go with them. You can cover a lot more ground sitting on your butt behind a good set of binocs than you can on foot.

07-Jan-18
I mainly used binoculars. I had a spoting scope and tripod with me but it was weird everywhere I went to set up I found problems with I would find a good spot that was high up and into the sun and stuff so I was looking at the shady sides of the bushes and trees. Then I’d realize it was so steep there was no way I was getting up it if I found one Then I’d find a good hill and be like I could sneak up that. And no way to get higher up from across it. Maybe I was being to picky I’m not sure. I ended up hiking a lot and just stoping for a few minutes and glass up hillsides

07-Jan-18
You'd be surprised the deer you'll see bedded once you start taking the time to glass. It's all about finding bucks in a place you can stalk, or watching them and figuring out where to go to ambush them when they move. With the rut on, find the does and you'll find your bucks. Get comfortable, cover your head and neck with a jacket, and do the work with glasses and a spotting scope.

08-Jan-18
Try out Redington Pass road, in towards the Bellota Ranch and in past Chimney Rock. Used to be quite a few muleys out there, and pig as well. Not nearly as steep and you can still get high and glass. The area has Coues as well, its that 'tweener zone.

08-Jan-18
Thanks so much I will

• Sitka Gear