xi 10-Jan-18
peterk1234 11-Jan-18
mrw 11-Jan-18
huntskifishcook 11-Jan-18
VtTransplant 11-Jan-18
huntskifishcook 11-Jan-18
VtTransplant 11-Jan-18
07-Jan-18
All done with this cold weather. That's all I have to say !!!

07-Jan-18
agreed.

07-Jan-18
Yup.

07-Jan-18
You know it's pretty sad when you get up in the morning and you are looking forward to playing hockey at 7:15 so you can warm up.

07-Jan-18
Done with it

I get up each morning and check the pipes... to make sure they aren’t frozen

07-Jan-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
peterk1234's embedded Photo
Am I the only that absolutely loves this cold? I was just out with the dog because I wanted to see how my trail camera is working. Only thing captured was me and my buddy Roxy. It was a solid 1 degree outside. Crisp, clean air, and a foot of light fluffy snow. An absolute joy to hike in. I was actually sweating out in my stylish one piece. Had to completely unzip.

Too bad I have no idea how to coyote hunt. Seems like perfect weather...oh but it's Sunday.

07-Jan-18
This, I believe, is why our deer numbers nose dive. Tough winter or two will do it

07-Jan-18
This, I believe, is why our deer numbers nose dive. Tough winter or two will do it

07-Jan-18
They will be fine .

Deep snow with a hard frozen layer would make it tough for them to evade predictors and easy for predictors to get to them. I don't think the cold alone is enough to do them in.

Good topic .

07-Jan-18
the group I just jumped looked fine. took my dog for a walk to pull one of my stands, its a long way in to begin with, but I went threw the thick brush down the ridge below to try and cut tracks and get a better idea of how they navigate the thick stuff down their. didn't take long before old tracks turned into new tracks, that turned into white flags. one big bodied deer stood and watched me for a while, he known the season was over, he also quickly abandoned the rest of the pack,so likely a buck. I slowly fallowed tracks till I was standing under my stand, which is ironic considering no deer ever came near that stand while I was sitting in it. lost count of how many beds their where in the snow. I am always amazed when I stand in a bed and look around at just how good these creatures we pursue really are at staying alive. I was standing in a circle of nine beds in a tiny opening in mountain Loral, the sun was shining down on me, I could see two hiking trails, I was blocked by the prevailing wind by a stand of thick pine, I was 50 yards from the river, I had beach and oak all around, and the type of cover that not only makes for grate brows, but the deer can disappear into, and predators don't have a chance at quietly sneaking threw.

07-Jan-18
You know that "its not the heat, its the humidity" quote... right now "its not the cold its the wind". Looking at the 4 foot thick white pines 15~ yds from the house sway has reduced my sleep quality to say the least. :)

07-Jan-18
I love the cold and hate the heat. I’ll take this any day. Buy a snowmobile and some good clothing and you will love this weather.

07-Jan-18
my wife got back from Ottawa recently from a hockey tourney with my stepson. It was an average of -20 degrees without the windchill. This got us into a discussion. She went to UVM for college and loves the cold ( she doesn't like bugs!! ). She said when the kids are moved out she wants to move to Vermont. I told her I want to move to key west. Either I better enjoy my time with her now or buy 2 houses!!!

07-Jan-18
X2 on Key West

07-Jan-18
Its at least good for keeping your Beer Cold!

07-Jan-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
I went out snow shoeing for a little exercise yesterday. ASIDE from being -20 with wind chill it was beautiful.

Certainly worked up a sweat.

I don't mind being active in the cold, stand hunting in the cold sucks. Lol

07-Jan-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Got my 2 weeks in Fl. booked. Maybe a hog hunt too. Key west is destroyed. Went last yr. don't think I wanna go now.

07-Jan-18
Hick - that's a good use of time right there. Hoops with the kids yesterday was the order of business here... Today regrettably comes with a kiddo who has a fever - so not much time in the sun.

True though - if you are wearing good clothes, you can enjoy this stuff. My wife is from Minnesota, she claims it's been warm the last few weeks :)! That said, she is not a fan of the cold - claims its from frostbite in grade school at recess... Looks like my retirement will be January - May in Florida - in 25 years or so :). At least the fly fishing is good down there...

08-Jan-18
can totally picture you Fly fishing for tarpon on the salt flats, Will. lol I would totally do it (retire to FL)....but just don't want to end up on WAAF in a 'Florida - not like the rest of us' segment. :) I'm thinkin somewhere in the American SW....maybe AZ so when cali slides off into the Pacific I'll have beachfront property on arizona bay. :)

08-Jan-18
Hickstick I agree. I’ve never been to Arizona but the pictures I’ve seen were amazing. Heck anywhere may be better then here!

08-Jan-18
If I ever say goodby to the ocean it will be the Northern parts of N.Carolina . Above the majority of dangerous snakes and still has some cold air and a little snow. Has, Long growing season and Good hunting. Unlikely to be a bomb target ... Now ,would someone tell my wife ?

08-Jan-18
Pi, Cant disagree with that. Have to say, I've my wife is to pry me out of New England, the eastern flank of the Ap's in NC or VA would be really hard to miss out on. Heck, even the spine of the Ap's. Such gorgeous country - despite getting cold in the winter.

Hick - funny you should say that about FL. True man... true.

08-Jan-18
We're shopping South Florida, I want to get to a point when I go to the snow, it doesn't come to me! I want to fish year round, but I'm a snob and don't think much of fresh water fish. I want to dive in warm water. And when I want to hunt I'll take a week or two and go someplace awesome to fill the freezer! Then back to the boat floating on warm, clear water in the sun!

10-Jan-18
I stopped at the warm ocean picture for a while...think i'm going back..LOL

10-Jan-18
Haha, warm weather people. Check out Bonaire, many a dives I've enjoyed there. 80+ degree water at 155' , call me happy !

11-Jan-18
Our goal is to retire in Montana. We have made a few trips out there, camping and hiking and doing lots of driving. Each time we visit, we go at a different time of year. This year my wife and daughter are going there during March.

11-Jan-18
Yeah xi, Bonaire is nice. Donkey's everywhere. But the fact fact that you get a rental pickup truck and can dive off the beach everywhere whenever you want is awesome.

Florida was crappy diving this year, only 80' of viz. Lots of fish, turtles and sharks but water was cold too, only 78 - Brrrr!

11-Jan-18

huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
I guess I'm the black sheep here. I'm just getting started with winter! I'll take this over warm beaches anyday!

11-Jan-18
Huntskifishcook im with you. And I love cannon too. How was the mitersill side. Where are you located I drive up and ski most sundays. Let me know if you ever want to car pool.

11-Jan-18
VT, mitersill was beautiful, everything was beautiful yesterday. Unfortunately this warm weather and rain is really going to beat the snow up, but I think they are going to get a little more Saturday and next week. I'd love to go up on Sunday's, but I work most weekends. I have a weekday season pass. I'm in Beverly, just a 2 hour drive if I leave at the right time to beat traffic.

11-Jan-18
Huntski I’m in Wakefield so maybe some weekday when I’m “sick” we could go up. I was a pro patroller in Vermont for 10 years so I’m pretty good. Love Mitersill lift line skiers right is one of the best lines east of the Mississippi. Hope to see you on the Hill this winter.

• Sitka Gear