Duke 09-Jan-18
retro 09-Jan-18
Live2hunt 09-Jan-18
Inmyelement 10-Jan-18
sharpspur@home 10-Jan-18
casekiska 10-Jan-18
Inmyelement 15-Jan-18
07-Jan-18
I've always wanted to take a mature buck with traditional equipment on public land and I'm really thinking about getting one now. That way I have months to practice. So I'm looking for bow names, setups, and any advice your willing to share. Thank you!!

Noc

07-Jan-18
Things to consider: Recurve or longbow, One piece or takedown, draw length, draw weight, custom or mass produced. Like anything else the choices are endless. I would consider looking into buying a used bow to start. You can save yourself a lot of money. Another thing is dont over bow yourself. Shooting a trad bow across your lawn in the summer is a whole different ballgame than shooting one out of your treestand in the cold wearing a lot of clothing. Remember the bow weight you want needs to be at your draw length. First thing you need to do is determine your draw length and your preferred draw weight so you can then start looking for a bow to fit you. Traditional shoots would be a great place to get some insight from experienced guys. Most trad guys are very friendly and more than willing to help you out if you ask. Warning: Trad archery is addicting. If you start, theres a good chance your compound will end up in the classifieds for sale :>)

07-Jan-18
Find a used low poundage bow to start with. A Samick Sage can be found pretty easily on the used market for about $100. A 30-35 pound bow will allow you to have longer practice sessions and less form break down due to higher draw weights. By starting used, you can use the money you saved and put it towards a nice custom bow in your hunting weight once you are hooked.

07-Jan-18
If price is not an issue my choice would be a Morrison or acts longbow. I regret not getting one even with the high price. My last and best recurve is a Palmer recurve with a carbon layer. I miss traditional shooting since wrist surgery and some day might have to pass it on.

07-Jan-18
Loaded question . Theres many directions . A buddy that shoots trad uses a Black Widow , Carbon arrows & Slick tricks broadheads .

I shoot a Bear Super Kodiak & a staghorn . With Wooden arrows tipped with Fredbear or Bodkin broadheads .

All 3 of the above are smooth bows that don't stack .

07-Jan-18
Like retro said if you find some guys shooting, strike up conversation. They might get more excited showing you the bows than you'd think.

5 years ago I took a 3 day kayak camping trip on lac de flambeau. Came upon 2 guys shooting old bows at a park kinda area where we stopped to cook lunch. Ended up hanging out a while shooting there bows. Had 5 different bows if I remember right. All felt very different. One I shot very well was a bear Kodiak recurve. Made small talk and shared our shore lunch with them as we had plenty.

Got back to the truck next afternoon and there's that bow in the box of my truck.

I made one kill with it, while still hunting. Mostly dumb luck. I don't use it much. I just don't have much confidence with it. Fun to shoot in the yard thou

07-Jan-18
Ryan, if you get up to Crivitz I have plenty you can try, I have been traditional only since 91. Fortunate enough to hunt all over the world with trad gear. Like mentioned find a trad shoot and go from there. There are alot of good cheaper bows to start with.

07-Jan-18
I found bows vary from brand to brand. They vary model to model, all common sense. They even can vary from identical models, that is why guys here tout shooting than as the best test. Kinda like tasting wine, side by side comparisons make choosing easier.

08-Jan-18
I love recurves,,, I have long bows, but shoot the recurve the best,,,,, My present set up, which I just got is a ILF system, a galaxy riser, with Trad Tech limbs, the rise is not made anymore,,,,, It will pull 40lbs at my draw,,,,,, can not use it yet, but I am getting there,,,,,, a little light for my taste, but with the right arrow and bh, it will be a close killer......

sold 5 heavy bows in the past year, those days are done for me and too nice of bows to be wall hangers,,,,,,

You can go custom or production, but I would not go custom, until you really know if you like it, or know what you want.... The Koreans produce some really good bows for 200.00 and under,,,,, If you are right handed, you have got it made, as you can buy a cheaper bow, at a light weight, I would suggest 35lbs, and learn to shoot, and develop a style. You could always sell it a Trad Shoot.....

If you can plan on going to the Trad Shoots, and the WTA, or the WBH, has the list of them and dates,,,, you will find a lot of friendly folks there, and can try out others bows, many times, or those that are for sale...... but its not the best place to find a starter bow.....

The Samick suggestion is a good one,,,, also go on line Lancaster Archery has a nice catalog, they are good to deal with........ If you were close to Iron Mountain MI I would go to Northwood Outfitters, he has a Korean line, that is real nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Shooting a stick bow is fun, but it is not hard, as some may lead you to believe,,, You just have to have a good arrow, matched for the bow, and the bow is tuned and a weight that is fun for you to shoot,,,,,,, than develop a style, with close quarter drills, and work out from there....

I would come to Ojibwa in New Berlin in April if you could, or any of there Trad shoots, there is a wealth of knowledge at that place, and you can get instruction for free, from some great shooters,,,,,,,

It is another part of the journey, so buy a ticket and go for a ride

08-Jan-18
Addicting? I would say so. I start shooting and have the problem that I don't want to stop but have to. A lot of good suggestions here. I would suggest looking at a 3 piece take down recurve or long bow. You can then get different limb weights for practice and hunting. YouTube has a ton of video's on setup and shooting a trad bow. You need to weed through and decide how you want to shoot though. Setup of the bow and the arrow to the bow is critical, as is your form and release. Once you have that down, it is a great way to hunt. I am currently shooting a Ozark Mountain Product's Mountain hunter 3-piece which I have taken 3 deer with the past 2 years. But, I am in the market now for a custom or something different. The problem for me is there are no trad shops around me. I am planning on a trip to Rochester and shoot some bows at The Footed Shaft to hopefully figure out what I want. I for one don't regret hanging up my compound, you wont either.

08-Jan-18
Live - Terry bought 3 bows from me, last summer,,,,, I sold him a custom checkmate falcon out of british Columbia, but it is a lefty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

08-Jan-18
Heck, Don't be afraid to jump in both feet. Never shot a recurve and decided I wanted to hunt with one. I did some research on internet, talked with a couple of custom builders, decided which builder gave me the best feeling and finally ordered on. I had a Stalker Stickbow built for me. South Cox, the owner is fantastic. Went with a 64" Wolverine FXT 50lbs at 31" and sent the money in. Love the bow, fits me perfect and shoots awesome. Killed does each of the three years I have had it. Looking at ordering another in 60lbs. Many good bow builders have demo programs.

08-Jan-18
One thing I would add, if your draw length is 28" or less, the majority of bows and lengths will work for you. If you have a long draw, bow length and design become more critical. I have a 31" draw length. Finger pinch and stacking can become an issue with short bows. Although these things bother some people more than others. And there are definitely differences in bow designs that can help if you have a long draw.

08-Jan-18
Robertson Stykbow out of Montana will let you try one out. If you like you pay and if you don't like you pay to return. Great bowyer.

09-Jan-18
I really appreciate all your replies. They are very helpful. I'll post when I make a decision. I'm going with a recurve because I'll be shooting from a saddle.

09-Jan-18
If you're shooting from a saddle you owe it to yourself to look at a shorter bow like a Bear Kodiak Magnum. Also, no need for a takedown unless you plan on flying a lot with it.

09-Jan-18
I use to travel and back pack hunt with a recurve, and in canoes etc, I would not own one that does not take down,,,,,, easier to pack, and stays safe

09-Jan-18
John McDonald of Big River Longbows made a few dandies that my brother, good friends, and myself all own... He makes a sweet looking AND shooting bow! Mine is a hybrid and hands-down the funnest time I've ever had shooting bow since I got mine a couple years ago. John is in his late 80s now and I really need to think about getting one for my boys before long.

As someone stated above---jump in full steam!!! It's a riot. The sheer simplicity of grabbing the bow and shooting some arrows is just comforting.

09-Jan-18
Lots of good advice here already. Getting together with trad folks will help greatly. Check out the Wisconsin Traditional Archers. If you are in SE WI I have a bunch you can try.

09-Jan-18
Yeah, southfarm that's my point. I want something on the shorter side but still comfortable on the fingers.

I do want a bow I can take down too. Thanks ground hunter.

I appreciate all this information. For I don't know much about them and haven't took much time on searching yet. What better place to start then here?

I do plan on wooden arrows. I shoot with Lighted nocs. Not gonna be the case with these wooden arrows. I was thinking of tieing something on so I can watch a clean flight and also. That way my camera picks up the arrow flight too. Any of you have ideas? Feel kind of foolish asking. Maybe a silly question?

09-Jan-18
I just use white feathers on my cedars for watching the flight... Works great for my eyes and is easy to find when I slip one into the grass as well. (Rarely happens?!?)

09-Jan-18
If your going with wood arrows, I would recommend giving a look at Surewood shafts. Nice stuff......

09-Jan-18
I run all white fletching. They look like a light bulb going through the air.

10-Jan-18

Inmyelement's Link
They make everything these days. I also thought I remember reading about a lumenok like device for wooden arrows but can't remember where.

I'm thinking about buying my boys longbows from Maddog Archery this spring. Can't go wrong with a custom bow for under $100. Hopefully there is enough funds for dad to get one too.

10-Jan-18
I was in Rochester this morning, decided to stop over and see Terry at the Footed Shaft. Great store, I wish he was just a bit closer. Did pick up some new broadeheas and a bateman tab.

10-Jan-18
Hey Noc - this might seem like an oddball suggestion but when you think about it, it does make sense. All the info above is great and is very beneficial in helping you get into traditional archery. And you should listen to those fellows, they are knowledgeable. But why not first head on down to a news stand and buy a copy of TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER MAGAZINE, and then subscribe for a year or more? There's a wealth of knowledge in each and every issue and it comes from some of the top traditional archers and bowhunters in the country. Then too, right here in WI, don't forget about joining the Wisconsin Traditional Archers. (If you need contact info, let me know.) The WTA is a relatively small group but they more than make up for it by their dedication to their passion. Join and you will learn, it's a given.

15-Jan-18

Inmyelement's Link
Not sure where you are located but it might be worth seeing if the seller would ship it. Going to be tough to get into a decent bow for less than this.

• Sitka Gear