Trapper 26-Jan-18
ground hunter 26-Jan-18
ground hunter 31-Jan-18
Johnny_Utah 31-Jan-18
ground hunter 31-Jan-18
07-Jan-18

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Had good hunt last 2 days Saw 6 yesterday and about 12 this afternoon Including 3 small bucks Was able to take this doe about 4:35 Watched her go down about 30 yds away She acted like she didn’t even know she was hit She just stopped and tipped over First time I drew the bow all yr

07-Jan-18
I hunted today as the cold broke and the season was ending. Had not seen much late season so having 2 younger bucks walk by and time to reflect on a season with a lot of time spent in a tree.

07-Jan-18
I went for my first hunt of the entire season... I was up at a friends house in Northern Florence Co, where I had a doe tag also..... I had to limit my time in cold weather, and of course, that affected the time I had to be out, since it was so cold,,,,,, but there was no wind, and sunny......

In the am, we drove out to set traps, and check out log jobs, that were being actively worked,,,,, We saw a lot of deer, lots of wolf tracks, and fox tracks,,,,, very few coyote sign, the wolves are cleaning them up pretty good

My doe tag was filled by cross bow,,,,, 10 foot shot, from ground blind, deer went 30 steps and tipped over, broadhead 125 grain Wasp Boss, went thru both shoulders and imbedded deep in a popple, to be cut out at another time....

Not much snow in the woods, just cold, saw a total of 32 deer, from hunting and driving around and trapping.

2 foxes and one coyote taken by traps......Sat participated in predator hunt, with dogs, a contest to raise money for kids...... I worked the radios in the trucks... Our group got only one yote up and going, and the guy missed...... Lots of teams, and covering a big area, winning team got only 3 yotes......

This am was warm and nice, stands and blinds being taken down,,,,,, I took a private walk in the woods, at my cabin in MI, and thanked God, for letting me stay around a little longer.......

Going to hit it hard the next 2 weeks, weather wise should be good we will see, I have a buck tag to fill, and another doe tag..........

I need the meat, only eat wild game now,,,,,, Northern deer in good shape,,,,,,

07-Jan-18
Nice post Ground

07-Jan-18
Congrats RR and GH. Did you guys witness any rut like behavior lately? Had a spike harassing 3 does Fri. (Took one doe) Then today I heard a bunch of grunting behind me. 2 fawns where 30 yards in front of me. Never seen the buck or mama. Both different properties 10 miles apart.

07-Jan-18
Last night I had a nubby grunting like crazy and doing a little chasing Tonight one of the small bucks was harassing one of the young does a little bit, nothing serious

07-Jan-18
Ground Hunter - do you have a Metro spot? Seasons are closed in Michigan and WI except for Metro as far as I can tell.

07-Jan-18
You bet, hunting Washington and Ozaukee Countys

07-Jan-18
Congrats guys! Northbound--I have been seeing rut behavior in fdl county lately. This was the first time I've seen it this late in the season.

07-Jan-18
Good luck

07-Jan-18

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Last day, last sit and last blood trail for 2017 season - "late season" was good to this ole' guy! Also, that is the "exit" shot on the deer - Rage 2 blade "Xtreme" - awesome blood trail!

08-Jan-18

Novice's embedded Photo
Late season doe
Novice's embedded Photo
Late season doe
Nice work guys! GH, really glad you were able to get out. And have success to boot! I had an outstanding last hunt for the season myself. Took the Lone Wolf out and spent a half hour trying to figure out which tree looked best. Wasn't in the tree a half hour and a lone doe comes browsing through. Still wanted meat for the freezer. So, was fortunate enough to do so and paint the snow. Wasn't completely sure on the hit (despite pass through) and decided to wait an hour. Well not long after 3 more appear. The big one clears the brush and looks right up at me. Didn't completely spook, but she changed course and took the others with her. Just as I was thinking about climbing down, I hear another deer coming fast. It turns out to be a fawn with another and 2 adult (1 slobasaurus) does. They filter by and the biggest one blew a couple times, but never took off. She settled back down right away and they all browsed by for quite a while. Eventually, had to use a coyote call to get them to leave at quitting time. Turns out the tracking job was around 60 yds. Only my second late season deer ever. Great way to end the season!

08-Jan-18
Congrats to the successful late season hunters. I sat Saturday evening for giggles. No deer seen. But, oddly I saw a group of Robbins? Kind of weird I thought.

Ground, it sure sounds like you have a great time with your group of friends.

08-Jan-18
Congrats goundhunter on getting back out there and putting some meat in the freezer last minute. Had to feel great to be blessed to get back out in gods country.

Participated in the same predator hunt out of long lake, hunting in forest county-24 below sat morning so a slow start to letting dogs go. Dogs had a yote jumped and were trailing when they were attacked by pack of wolves. 3 dogs injured. One had surgery may or may not make it.... luckily we were all close and new something went bad when they went quiet suddenly - we were able to get in before they were killed. All dogs attacked were from behind, they were the hunted. Sad... feel bad for property owners in the area.

08-Jan-18

08-Jan-18
Not a hunt report but the guy I hunt with in Iowa drove out to pull a blind out of the woods earlier today. He said there were probably 30 deer in the picked corn field they drove around to get to the blind. As they got closer to the woods it looked like the woods was moving from all the bedded deer got up and walked/ran away from them.

Quite a few years ago I still had an Iowa bow tag in late December or early January when I drove to where I parked I could see 40 or so deer grazing in a pasture next to the woods. I approached the woods on a route that would push those deer into the woods. Then setup on the ground where most of them entered the woods. (figured they would head out near the same route) What an evening that was. I had 50 deer go past me, all of them within 40 yards and a lot of them within 10 yards as they walked back out to where they were grazing. It was fun but nothing close to what I wanted to shoot.

09-Jan-18
Congrats guys on your late season success's. I had a great sit on Saturday evening at a friends place. The deer had been going from a cedar, white pine bedding area and then into some beans where they fed for awhile and then they had to walk 100 yards through a small woodlot to get to an alfalfa area. Well a week earlier he thought there was close to 100 in the alfalfa just before dark on those bitter cold afternoons. With the wind being perfect I set up on the best looking trail, wouldn't you know it, every deer that afternoon walked down a different trail 65 yards from me. I saw 41 with 9 bucks during the course of my sit. A very awesome hunt. Yes Case, its the same place that I told you about.

09-Jan-18
great job all on the late season success.

09-Jan-18
Wow Trapper! Some properties are magical. Too bad they took the wrong trail. Was fortunate enough once many years ago to see over 20 some deer on a late season hunt in the morning (yes morning) on a friend's property. I sat in shock, as I had never experienced that before. Haven't had another since either. but it was an eye opener. Wish I had access to a property like that now.

09-Jan-18
Well done for all you successful hunters. Groundhunter, great post.

09-Jan-18
well I was out in stealth mode, on the ground, and loving it this pm,,,,, saw 15 deer, no shots,,,,,, they did not wind me, so should be good,,,,, at this time of year, I have a small stool that weighs under a pound, and I stay very mobile, and hunt, a lot of thick stuff,,,,

tomorrow I am thinking about putting on marsh camo, and laying out in the wash, with switch grass, as they hit the field to feed,,,,,,, do not want to push the bedding area, may bring a blanket along, to lay down on, to insulate the cold ground,,,,, always thinking of a way to get em,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

09-Jan-18
My neighbor today had a 10 pointer mounting a doe. He chased away a fork and a 7 pointer. He was with her all day. Going to be late fawn if it takes. He recognized the doe because of a bad front leg. She had twins 2 years ago no fawns the year.

11-Jan-18
Can not hunt today, but went out yesterday in the PM... this is public land, but a ways to walk, and anyone can hunt it...... At 330pm two does walk out into this field to feed, the snow is gone, its greens are there.... By 4pm, 7 more does are out......

Per my new Vortex acculon range finder, they are 134 yards, and I am in the marsh grass, cursing that I have a cross bow.... If I had my compound I would have had my predator decoy attached, and took a walk at them.....

4:15, 3 bucks come out, a 6 and a 8, looking thru my binos,,,, and now here comes Mr Big, the one I have seen late last summer, yep a 14 pointer, with split G2's,,,,,, somehow even at that distance, he caught my thermal and winded me, as the west winds started to swirl.... He lifted his head way up, and then I knew

He calmly turned and left, taking all the deer with him,,,, they were not alarmed, just walked out slowly, he had a 6th sense......

It was a great day,,,,, if I do not get him, and the time is short, I sure hope to find them sheds,,,, that shows you, what is left out there after the season........ I watched them walk into private property, that no one can hunt, and now I know, where they are spending the winter...........

13-Jan-18
Weather looks to be perfect, after Saturday,,,,, steady calm weather, barometer steady, cold, but steady weather, you could not ask for better for late season weather,,,,

17-Jan-18
You can not make this stuff up,,,,, so now I tuck in a blow down, where these bucks came out of, the wind is right, its calm, sunny, 5 inches of snow, squirrels, rabbits and turkeys,,,,,,, here comes prime time,,,, nothing,,,,,, pick up my stuff, and start to leave, come up over the rise, towards my truck, there is the whole herd, looking at me.......

I had to sit there till way into the dark, to sneak around them, yet they caught me, and sent out tails up,,,,,,,,,,, did not see any bucks, but it was too dark to tell, at least it was past legal shooting time,,,,, there was at least 10 of them,,,,,,,,,

going to give that area a break till Saturday,,,,,,,Running my dog on a pheasant hunt Friday

17-Jan-18
today I will take advantage of the high winds,,,, I will not hunt, I will back track all of them deer, on fresh snow, that way I will reset my set ups, for more favorable winds,,,, cold and snow leaves little scent, using he wind will help....... Now the snow will melt, and I will leave no trace,,,,,, they will get the surprise of their lives next week,,,,,

17-Jan-18
Sat a bit this morning waiting for Temps to rise for a late start at work. River has become a main travel corridor, 4 bucks came past within first hour of light (3 where with each other) and not a single doe. Not ideal when targeting does in the metro and no buck tag left :( One was 3.5 or older with a widely split g2.. I'll be putting miles on that ice looking for sheds if the ice stays a while.

20-Jan-18
yesterday, I had a deer walking by, using the cross hairs on that scope, it was a nubby and of course it got a pass,,,,,,, I am looking for Mr. Big, but of course his horns being on him ,hour past hour is a crap shoot.......................... Beautiful late season weather, even this week is going to be good, hard to believe

I should be up north trapping, but I am fixated now on this big 14 pointer,,,,,

26-Jan-18
How can you see this many deer, never get winded, and not have a shot...... there is no doubt in my mind, that if I had my compound, I would have made a successful stalk, or used my attached decoy, that I use with the bow......

This cross bow, slows me down,,,,, Anyway, yesterday 3pm 2 does come out from left, never get any closer than 70 yards,,,,,, 5 come out from the front, stay out at about 60 yards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, over a dozen come out, behind me, at 100 yards,,,,, to my back at about 75 yard here comes another 6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

there coming to feed in this field,,,,, it limits you to fence line tuck ins, and I have a blind out on a fingers (last night), and another natural blind, on another finger, but again, the best place to be last night, would have been the wrong wind,,,,,,

Maybe that is why I am seeing so many deer,,,, I play the wind and scent control,,,,, anyone here use scent jammer? I was thinking of playing with that...................

Had one at 45 yards, but it was past shooting hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, had to stay in there for an hour, before I could sneak out to the north, and go way around,,,,,

maybe tonight, have another idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

26-Jan-18
Northbound says, "One was 3.5 or older with a widely split g2.. I'll be putting miles on that ice looking for sheds if the ice stays a while. " Northbound, maybe you need to come and pick up Skyy for the day. I will be taking her out tomorrow morning for the first time this year.

26-Jan-18
after Tuesday, I will have my lab Chase out,,,,, have the 14 pointer around, like to find those,,,,,,,, well going out at 1pm

31-Jan-18
I realize I may be the only guy left out there hunting, but I am going down to the wire,,,,, interesting observation, is the deer movement, with this new moon, in particular the blue moon,,,,, to say it was brighter out, is an understatement............. I take notes each day I hunt, on the weather, moon position, wind, moisture content etc,,,, I am kind of anal, but its my own science, plus its fun

last week, there was an unusual amount of deer activity, that I have never seen before, in the pressured areas I hunt, and it peaked on Saturday afternoon, and severely changed after that, showing zero movement, during the day, in my spots,,,,,

I have several cameras out now, and will be curious to see, what is on there comparing movement and the moon positions........................

Today is the last day of the season, going to be out by 11am,,,,,,, there is something special about being out on the last day the last hour, the last minute and the last second, and pondering the season, which was pretty short for me this year,,, ha ha

Friday it all starts again post season scouting, which I enjoy as much as hunting, life is good

31-Jan-18
Good luck GH!

31-Jan-18
Well it was a beautiful day in the woods,,,,,, I saw no deer, in fact I saw nothing at all,,,, but I was grateful for the opportunity to be out, and said a prayer, as the moon was coming up, way up.... that is some moon.....

• Sitka Gear