Sosso 09-Jan-18
Doc 09-Jan-18
stillhunter 09-Jan-18
Sosso 18-Jan-18
Will 18-Jan-18
Cougar 18-Jan-18
Sosso 19-Jan-18
08-Jan-18
I recently just started looking at state Bills such as S469 to allow hunting on Sundays. What I found alarming was the fact that State Reps are using MA DFW as a dead letter office. With the latest on 469, it was sent to MA DFW so they could "weigh in". Sounds good right? The problem is that DFW is under no obligation to do so. They don't have to "weigh in" on anything. They just say "We can't establish law." and instantly the Bill in question just dies.

I've noticed this with the .22LR Bill that would allow hunters to use a larger round at night. Same thing all over again. Does anyone here have experience with this stuff? Getting...somewhere during these meetings so I can call people (my state Reps) out on this nonsense?

08-Jan-18
It's a great point Sosso... Reading it, makes me ponder something. Perhaps emailing the director at MDFW, literally ask. In the end - what you are after is HELPING them, so you frame the question that way and emphasize that you want to figure out how to help them further. Perhaps the director or other MDFW person could provide insight "off the record" which could help?

08-Jan-18
i love that u guys r out thare pushing the stupid buttons ,u know the other side does. thanx

08-Jan-18

Sosso's Link
I was able to find a small blurb in the November meeting minutes that new regulations regarding deer hunting will be rolled out in March. No idea what’s in it but there were several bills discussed at the DFW this year including Sunday hunting, bow hunting 250’ from dwellings, the 22LR coyote issue, and hunting using artificial light.

There was nothing in the meeting minutes though that called out Bills directly.

08-Jan-18
I started looking into this Sunday hunting bill a couple months ago, and thou I don't like the bill because of the added part that allows crossbow hunting for all. The take away I got was that despite good support at first any one of this bills has a expiration date, if anyone doesn't want it to pass they simply drag tier feet and the term ends, meaning the working calendar year for the state house or senate ends and poof the bill didn't make it and would need to start all over again during the next term provided some one actually proposed it again. its pretty aggravating. I was actually going to write a nice email to the woman who was working on the bill( thou I don't remember her name now) when I looked up her contact info on the state web site their was a little blurb about her, she was also an avid supporter of sanctuary city's for illegals. I didn't write the nice email.

08-Jan-18
Still - write the nice email. It's ok if someone has a different idea or opinion. If they do, and we dont give them a chance, the stale mate is on us as well. Was it the state senator from Spencer I think, Anne Gobi? If it was, she's been massively pro outdoors people. Give me whoever in the MA leg the NRA considers A1 or whatever their grading is, and I put money down that Sen Gobi has done far more for us than that person (unless it's her). Really, she's pulled for basically all things hunting, fishing, and really, general outdoors - mountainbiking, snow mobiling trail access, land preservation (which is open for those sorts of good things). Should have seen her questions towards the MSPCA at the major meeting for the Outdoor Heritage Act this past October. It was good!

Point being, Just because the rep has a difference of opinion, dont give up on them.. You never know when you are the one tossing the message that pushes things forward.

08-Jan-18
Seconded all points about Gobi! Your two friends in the Legislature if you hunt are:

Anne Gobi and Ryan Fattman. I would throw them support. I’m contacting the DFW tomorrow directly. I want to know what the hell is going on.

09-Jan-18
We have some fairly important people pushing the Sunday hunting bill but I think the x-bow add on is hurting it quite a bit. Personally I think it’s a little greedy to add such a controversial subject like x-bows to an already sensitive bill like Sunday hunting, bad move I think

09-Jan-18
Yes will it was gobi. And you make a strong point.

09-Jan-18

Sosso's Link
I just wrapped up an email back and forth with Dave Wattle, Furbear Biologist at DFW. He also wears some other hats around there. I was pretty blunt about asking what is happening to these bills at DFW. I told him that I recognize that it's not DFW's job to write legislation, but the state legislature does ask the DFW to weigh in. This was his response: "The way you describe it is now how the legislative process works. Beyond the legislative hearing that is open to the public for comment, where proposed bills are discussed, the Division is essentially outside the process. Our director does provide input at that hearing. There may be some discussion, conversation that takes place with upper administration at other times, but bills or proposed legislation are not regularly given to the Division to discuss or make decisions on, that is the responsibility of the legislature.

After the legislative hearing, it is my understanding that the legislature determines whether or not any bills will make it out of committee and be discussed by the legislature as a whole and voted upon. That process is independent of the Division. Again aside from any communication with our administration that I am not privy to.

So the process is more in reverse of what you describe, where the legislature discusses proposed bills determines if they go anywhere, not the Division.

As for the bills you mention, I do not know where those stand. You would have to contact your local representative or some other office within the legislature to find that out.

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance with this, but it isn't something that I have involvement in." - Dave Wattle

So, it looks like it's one of two things: either the State Senators who are sponsoring the Bill are not pushing for its success, or the amount of resistance it is meeting is crushing the Bill and the Legislature is refusing to bring those Bills to a vote.

So, what do can YOU do? YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE FOLLOWING: Anne Gobi, and Ryan Fattman, and voice your support for Bill 445. Let them know what's important about that Bill, and don't be afraid to say that you support Sunday hunting and the reduction of Bow Hunting distances from 500' to 250', the use of a humane load beyond .22LR for controlling the coyote population. Then you need to send the link to your other friends that don't come here and tell them to do the same.

09-Jan-18
Awesome Still - Sen Gobi is hugely in "our" corner.

Chase - you raise a great point. I wish it was just Sunday hunting or Sunday archery hunting for deer or even just start with a 250 foot set back with a bow from an elevated position or something. If those were the emphasis, it seems a lot more passable than things which create more emotion and controversy in peoples minds like xbows and trapping... especially since people have been able to hunt with Xbow's here for years if they get the note (I realize not kids, and not "just for the heck of it"... But if it was "needed" or really wanted you could find a doc to sign the papers and use one).

09-Jan-18

Sosso's Link
Link to Ryan Fattman (Senator) Office

09-Jan-18
Will, Gobi did sponsor a Bill for reducing the distance to 250'.

09-Jan-18
I followed up with Dave Wattle to ask when the new Deer Hunting regs will be out. He said this: "The board approved those Regs to go to public hearing in May/June. I'm not sure why the delay in the hearing, but I think it is another one of those things that is beyond our control. Regardless the hearing is now scheduled for March, I want to say the 6th, but don't quote me on the 6th for sure. I "think" that if approved the new Regs would be in place for this coming hunting season, but again the wheels move slowly, so whether or not it would be this fall or the next I can't say for sure. "

So push push push your Legislators.

09-Jan-18
Anytime more than 10 people show up at a Board meeting that constitutes an "avalanche" of opinion and gets the attention of most Board members. The "squeaky wheel gets greased".

09-Jan-18
I believe one big problem with this bill and most others for that matter is that it has too many talking points, it trys to make several changes not just one. If thier were several different proposed bills each only containing one law change, the chances of it passing would be greatly increases. This particular bill has divided even hunters because we dont agree with part of the bill, my self included.

18-Jan-18
I finally got some feedback from the office of State Senator Ryan Fattman. It said that the Sunday hunting, Reduced distance to houses (250') for bowhunters, and the bill addressing .22LR for Coyote had been reviewed during a meeting with DFW back in September, then referred back to the Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture, chaired by the Originator of the Bills Anne Gobi; co-chair also includes Ryan Fattman. Sooo....the very people who created the Bills are the ones who are holding it up. This leads me to believe that either THEY don't believe it will pass a vote, or, the whole thing is pageantry "Look what we're doing for you 'outdoors' hillbillies!" and there is no intention to pass them, it's just re-election fuel for voters in Central MA.

18-Jan-18
Sosso - I am confident Sen Gobi gets it. She's not putting on a show, if she puts it out there, she's a believer. It could be that other things unknown are still holding it up, or as you said, they can see that it stands no chance and rather than fail, they are waiting and will try again.

18-Jan-18
Stillhunter nailed it. If the USA passed an amendment that every bill has to address ONE issue, essentially each change be voted on individually... how much more would our government get done! With far less crony-ism

19-Jan-18
Will, I’ll be patient and hope for the best.

• Sitka Gear