Huntcell 's embedded Photo

Huntcell 's Link
For what it’s worth the restructuring of Gander Mountain plans to reopen stores

Article at link

Attachment list Wisconsin stores open or shortly to reopen

08-Jan-18
I hear they're radically different. More like a more affordable REI or Erehwon

08-Jan-18
Hope it works out for them. Nothing wrong with some competition.

08-Jan-18
I won't go there since CEO said he doesn't want any customers that vote Republican. Fine with me.

09-Jan-18
well I hope you do not drink New Glarus beer,,, ha ha ha,,,,,,, I am going to check out the Sheboygan store, good place for a lefty like me,,,,,,

09-Jan-18
Wont see this guy walking into those stores. I know I am just an echo of what Nobody just said, but to bash your primary demographic is just dumb. I will continue to spend my money at Cabelas/ Bass Pro.

09-Jan-18
The CEO said this? Wow, and your trying to get a business going in an area with a lot of sportspeople? Pretty Dumb, but that's typical for a Liberal.

09-Jan-18
This "new" company and CEO vision belong in California, Colorado and western Montana. I will not be spending my money there.

09-Jan-18
I really didn't care for Gander Mountain much; lack of selection and what I felt were high prices...knowing what I know now, I won't be going there. I stopped drinking New Glarus long ago.

09-Jan-18
I'm surprised Sheboygan is on the list. I guess maybe because it's right off the freeway. It's never a good idea for businesses to get political. They alienate a large percentage of potential customers before they even walk in the door. I guess that's what you get in these hyper-partisan times we live in, but makes no sense if true and I will keep going to Fleet Farm or Cabelas.

09-Jan-18
What Lemonis said was in relation to Charlottesville. He said that if you support the person who rammed his vehicle into protesters and share is hateful or violent views, then he doesn't want them associated with his stores.

Agreed though...its good for businesses to keep their mouths shut on sensitive issues especially when things are fresh.

09-Jan-18
When theres a new play toy on my wish list I try very hard to buy it at the local pro shop .

If that doesn't work I go online . Its normally cheaper with no taxes . I seldom buy anything at a big box outdoor store .

09-Jan-18
Gander could change their name a million times and it wouldn't change a thing. Unless you're looking for Columbia, Patagonia, or a host of other expensive "outdoor" clothing I don't even see the point of going in one. Their gun stores were an overpriced fiasco, their fishing section is picked over and outdated, they don't order what people ask for until they get good and ready, they don't know how to seasonally stock regional products, their employees for the most part know nothing about the products they sell. You can have 'em..

09-Jan-18
Well I still have a card for 6 hrs of range time in the Deforest store. The word was the new management would honor all GM Academy time purchased and not used. We'll see. The outcome on this will go a long way toward them winning my business. I'm not holding my breath.

11-Jan-18
Was that the same CEO that his wife made him take down the taxidermy mounts? I never did get the whole story on that one. I drove by the Madison one on the 9th and it looks like the camper store that bought it from the outside. The parking lot was full of them. I do try to shop at the small businesses that have stuck with us even if they have to sell jewelry, cloths or flowers to stay open.

11-Jan-18
The Wausau store has always been good to us, helping out with our youth hunts and Purple Heart Veteran Hunts. If they bring back Tom Keenan I will do business with him. Not many small shops around here that have what we need to do what we do.

11-Jan-18
Nobody - "I won't go there since CEO said he doesn't want any customers that vote Republican. Fine with me."

What did he say? Got a link to his statement?

11-Jan-18

Nobody's Link

12-Jan-18
So the link you just posted says nothing about Republicans. He’s condemning people who support what Trump said about what happened in Charlottesville. Could you paint with a broader brush?

12-Jan-18
I had heard they were not going to carry guns and ammo, is that true?

12-Jan-18
Yet another marketing scam. The company was built for the riches.

12-Jan-18
They have guns on their online store. Not sure about brick and mortar.

12-Jan-18
Nobody - it is a stretch and the article didn't quote the Gander guy accurately:

"Michelle Caruso-Cabrera: Marcus, you have a consumer-facing business, Camping World. So do you worry about — if you were on one of these [presidential] councils, would you worry, thinking ‘Wow, I’ve got to deal with consumers every day, are they going to look at the business poorly because I’m associated with the White House?’

Marcus Lemonis: There’s no doubt that there is [sic] probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple of days and if they are, quite frankly don’t shop at my business. And I think the reality of it is that there is a fear, there is a fear of association."

Pretty clear what he was saying.

PS. I don't shop there anymore because of the quality and prices and help knowledge. I don't remember the last time I came out with anything except a hunting/fishing license.

12-Jan-18
I did a 90 second google search to find an article. Maybe is wasn't the best one for something that happened 5 months ago. If you don't remember it happening, articles may not put it in proper perspective since you lose some context.

At the time of his comments, Lemonis was clearly referring to Trump and what Trump said. And he inferred, if you support Trump, don't shop there. Did he say in exact words, "Republicans - don't shop here!" No, he did not say that. That is where context of the situation comes in.

It's not a broad brush. He is referring to one particular group of people - people who support Trump.

Please also remember, the media slants everything to one side. If your not on that side, you not going to get equal treatment.

As copied above: "Michelle Caruso-Cabrera: Marcus, you have a consumer-facing business, Camping World. So do you worry about — if you were on one of these [presidential] councils, would you worry, thinking ‘Wow, I’ve got to deal with consumers every day, are they going to look at the business poorly because I’m associated with the White House?"

This is obviously a loaded question. She basically said, if you are on a presidential counsel or have anything to do with white house, people will look poorly upon you, right? She already gave the answer in the question. She could have used an open ended question, but there was clearly an answer she was looking for.

Are Republicans mentioned by name, no. But at the time, Lemonis was clearly referring to Trump supporters/voters who are vastly republican.

If Lemonis wasn't offending a broad group of people, why did he later offer an apology?

I don't care how any one votes. I also don't care if I business I shop at is owned by a conservative or a liberal. I will support any of them. People are entitled to their own beliefs. It is one of the many things that makes our country great. But if they are outspoken against a belief I have, or try to shove their ideas down my throat, whether it be religion, politics, hunting, or whatever, no, I won't support their business. So, no I won't shop at Camping World/Gander or buy Penzy spices or shop anywhere when some CEO shoots off is mouth against things I believe in.

12-Jan-18
Nobody, maybe ask what belief you have that he shot his mouth off about?

12-Jan-18
"If Lemonis wasn't offending a broad group of people, why did he later offer an apology?"

This says much more than anything else that has been said.

13-Jan-18
I can agree with that, Capt. If you read the apology, he’s apologizing for an awful lot. And when people in his position apologize, it’s hard take them seriously because you feel they are doing it for financial gain.

21-Jan-18
I live near Eau Claire and we have Scheels. They are a little high priced but they have quality products and their employees at least know something. I remember going to the Gander Mountain in EC looking for a 3-section Realtree EZ Hanger. I walk in and the young man says "Can I help you find anything today". I told him what I was looking for. He replies, "Is that for taking pictures"?.....

22-Jan-18
I went to Janesville's grand opening Saturday. I'm not really impressed. You walk in and all you can see initially are fat tire bikes and kayaks in the front area of the store. After browsing the rest of the store, it seems like more limited inventory overall than Gander Mountain had. Also I didn't recognize most of the name brands in the hunting clothing area. It always seemed like the "Guide Series" products from Gander mountain were reasonable quality for the price.

22-Jan-18
CEO hates Republicans and asked them not to shop at his stores. I'll spend my time elsewhere

22-Jan-18
CEO hates Republicans and asked them not to shop at his stores. I'll spend my time elsewhere

22-Jan-18
He is a cross bow shooter

23-Jan-18
I hear he once kicked a puppy and it was a Lab!

23-Jan-18
I also did not notice a single taxidermy item in the store when I was there.

24-Jan-18
Was really hoping the guide series clothing would come back. Miss there gloves in the worst way. They had the only gloves that kept my hands warm with enough dexterity to pick up a single 8 Penny nail.

Did they still sell/buy used guns? Was always interesting seeing how full the used rack was of new guns after banquet season

24-Jan-18
Northbound - I didn't see any used guns when I was there, but being a new store maybe they will accumulate them as they go. I always liked going through the used racks as well. Sometimes you could find good buys.

18-Mar-18
I stopped at the " new " Gander store Friday in the Wausau area .

1 . store was 1/2 empty Of product. 2. All Employees were wearing blue shirts & there was plenty of them .

3. Only 3 used guns in gun dept . New gun shelves were 1/2 enpty . No one greeted me .

4. Fishing dept .Well stocked . Prices hi . No one said hello .

5. Archery dept . 50/50 archery & crossbow stuff. No one said hi .

6. Walked past the cashier on the way out . Not a single word from the cashier who was not busy .

7. The manager needs to be fired .

18-Mar-18
My gun shop always has hot coffee on, and free peanut brittle,,,,,,, The owner says, that if the guys bought more guns, than they hang out, he could retire,,,, ha ha

18-Mar-18
I was in the Wausau store last weekend, I was greeted when I walked through the door. Spoke with the manager and they are getting more product in weekly. The store looks empty. Took a walk around the store and didn't see anything that I needed or wanted. I will give them time to see what happens.

Ruger - why fire the manager?

18-Mar-18
Guessing ruger ment that in relation to quiet staff. Even my limited English speaking guys better say good morning or equivalent whenever encountering a customer. Think people have a little less trust towards quiet people. Ever met a shy realtor or sales person who was successful?

I'm very anxious to see the Sheboygan store open again, I used to buy alot there and the staff was actually helpful and knowledgeable. Did find 2 ma and pa types that I like to patronize however limited hours make that near impossible

18-Mar-18
Stopped in the Wausau store yesterday and walked around. I liked that I wasn’t hassled by staff. If I had questions there were plenty around to help. One of the employees said they were about 80% full for merchandise.

Did find prices high on some and decent on others. Blazer 40 S&W 250 count box for $63.95 was a great deal. 209 Blackpowder for $44.99 was terrible. I can get it locally for $38.99.

18-Mar-18
Mike, every retail store I managed had a 10 foot rule. You said something to every customer . I made it a point to walk past the cashier to hear him say " Thanks for stopping Or did you find everything you were looking for ? " 3 employees in the fishing dept ignored my search for a certain Jig I use for Walleyes .

That store has not been the same sense Max left .

19-Mar-18
It doesn't matter what they become when they reopen. I will never go back. Three years ago I went into the one in Eau Claire as it's the closest one. I was looking for chokes for a 12 gauge 870. it wasn't fancy aftermarket chokes either. Their "gun" guys actually told me that the 870 wasn't a very popular gun so I would probably have trouble finding chokes anywhere. I didn't even get a chance to respond. My usually quiet wife asked them if they were actually serious. They were and couldn't understand our disbelief. She told them they were #$%^* idiots and we left the store. I did get the chokes at Scheels.

19-Mar-18
Ruger - Understood. Yes, the store has changed dramatically over the years. I remember that it used to be "the place" to shop for outdoor gear in the area. Now it isn't, time will tell if it gets any better.

Rut - How can you judge the new store by the service you got in the old store? The Id10ts working back then are probably long gone????

19-Mar-18
The 870 was not a popular shotgun? Now that's a funny one.

19-Mar-18
Mike, I'm worried it wa something in their HVAC system that poisoned the air with stupidity. I don't think they did a total reno so I'm sure these new people will be just as bright in no time.

19-Mar-18
A simple hello, welcome or if you need any help goes a long way. I hope most are well versed on what they have in stock. I haven't been in Gander in years and until I hear positive reviews I won't be back.

26-Mar-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's Link
New Gander Outdoors stores dial back focus on hunting, shooting.

“As I’ve said many times, we’re being very calculated and disciplined in how we open stores and how we manage this business,” he said during a Feb. 27 conference call with investors. “We are only interested in operating stores that we believe have a clear path to profitability. We’ve aggressively negotiated rents, diversified the mix of merchandise, added a service department and layered out on a number of new benefits and savings to our Good Sam Club for the Gander Outdoors and Overton’s customers.”

Part of company’s new look, however, features a smaller retail footprint with less of a focus on “the historical Gander business” of firearms, archery and hunting, Lemonis said.

“The historical Gander business is really significantly less than it used to be, because we want to be a marine superstar and an active lifestyle superstar as well,” he said.

01-Oct-20
mhm, very interesting

01-Oct-20
Not going o be going, Scheels, helps, has what I want and need. As per New Glarus, won't drink it nor allow it in our home or camp.

03-Oct-20
Hey, if you are interested in finding more information about guns, munitions and so on then check https://bulkmunitions.com/what-are-the-parts-of-ammunition/ . I am a big lover of guns, I had a Glock, Makarov and Ak-47 at home. I really think that Russian and Austrian guns are the best ( because of the quality ). Other guns from USA or France are not so qualitative, may be easy in use but for sure not good for long term of using. Israel is doing also nice weapons but they work in collaboration with US army.

• Sitka Gear