spike78 17-Jan-18
bigwoodsbucks22 17-Jan-18
spike78 17-Jan-18
DanaC 20-Jan-18
spike78 20-Jan-18
DanaC 20-Jan-18
jdrdeerslayer 20-Jan-18
09-Jan-18
Non hunting related but I bet most of you own trucks so I might get some good opinions here. I am unfortunately in the market for a new truck. I have an F150 with the ecoboost and despite absolutely loving the truck and loving the power of the ecoboost, that motor has been giving me a lot of trouble. I need to get rid of it before something very expensive happens next (again).

So with that in mind, I am looking for opinions on Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota. All half ton trucks so 150, 1500's, etc. I am also pretty much set on something 2014 or newer. Mainly, I care about reliability. Whether you have had issues or had no issues with your truck, please let me know and state the model and year and what issues you may have had.

**PLEASE do not turn this into a brand battle or "I like this truck because ive always been a ford guy and my granddad was too". I want honest opinions from your experience and no sh*t talking. Thanks in advance for any advice.

09-Jan-18
I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier v6 4x4 with 230,000 miles still going strong. I think the frontiers are a really great option.

09-Jan-18
Thats a real worm hole of a question. As an auto mechanic, i have pritty much stopped telling people what to buy, simply because non of the new trucks will last as many years or miles as trucks of the past. Plain and simple. Not only does the quality not justify the price. But nearly every auto maker has lowered the warrenty period. I personally drive a 2012 silverado with a 5.3 and 120,000. I have yet to have any major issues, thou make no mistake the fuel managment motors have the potental for major motor issues at higher miles with lifter and cam problems, even on properly maintained trucks. Thou the thought of spending anouther 40k on a new one makes me sick, it would be a tundra, and if you are looking used, keep in mind that certified preownd from toyota accully come with a beter warranty than their new vehicals do. I do not work

09-Jan-18
Not sure it's really in the same size class as F150 etc. but I have a 2014 Tacoma. Only 67k miles so far but I've been happy with it. Only problem I've had is the radio occasionally freezes up so that none of the controls work, can't even turn it off. After a few minutes of this it then reboots itself and is fine for another few weeks or so before it does it again. It's a little annoying but doesn't happen all that frequently so I can live with it. What's more annoying is that it was a well known problem for a while before my truck was even built but mine didn't start doing it until after warranty was expired. Truth is I haven't even asked Toyota about it. Maybe they could update the firmware or something and fix it.

One thing I can say for certain about the Tacoma is they hold resale value like crazy. When I bought it I was trying to find a used one but ended up going new because Tacomas that were a year old, a lower trim level, and 12-15k miles were only about $1k less.

Lastly, I got the TRD Sport version and I can do exit ramps almost as fast as my son in his Maxima. Not quite but almost. Not that I'm condoning fast/irresponsible driving...

09-Jan-18
2012 Dodge Ram V8 Hemi, Crew Cab w/ 5.5 ft. bed. Needed the full size back seat for two car seats and still have plenty of room for an adult between the car seats. Just hit 90k miles and knock on wood, I have not had any issues with the truck other than routine maintenance. I also have a 7.5 foot fisher plow on the truck for light driveway plowing at my home and my parents. GL!

09-Jan-18
What year was your F-150?? If it was a first year Eco-boost do you think they have corrected the issues you are having with the motor? I am driving a 2015 GMC Sierra ext cab and have been very happy with it. Before that was a 2011 F150 ext cab and I was very happy with that...I think the GMC has a little more room in the back seat. Toyotas do a great job holding their value and are very reliable EXCEPT for the frames rotting to pieces. I say drive them all and see what you like...I don't think there is a BAD choice among them

09-Jan-18
Sorry i was going to say i dont work for toyota. Just my opinion that build quality is beter and toyota does a bettet job with making known issues into recalls rather than TSB,s.

09-Jan-18
I've got an 09 tacoma, straight cab 4x4 4 cylinder stick, base model. Bought it used in 13 with 50K ish on it, now has 110K. She gets 24.6 mpg by my own calculations, and powered out of the 3 foot snow bank last week in 4 high. NOT good in snow in 2 wheel. It took Toyota a while to figure out the frame issue but they just followed through on a recall to check and either spray or replace the frame. They sprayed mine at no cost and put me in a crew cab F250 loaner for the three days it was in the shop. What a toad. doubled my gas $ spent in a week! We'll see in a few years I might need to trade 'er in for something that accommodates a car seat or two.

09-Jan-18
I have a 2010 Tacoma. It's the basic one, not the TRD. It's been great for me. I was at the end of the frame recall they were doing, and they have checked it a few times for me, but so far it's ok. The fix I've been told is either a treatment (which everyone, including the Toyota tech's (on the down low so to speak) tell me not to do) or a new frame. So far I'm fine, no idea if that's still an issue.

For repairs, I've had one due to wear and tear. A ball joint which I had to have replaced (same side) on my last rig (Subaru Forester) due to constantly turning left, left, left into our street - I'm convinced of that at least.

I also had one due to something I've learned was a Toyota issue on the Tacoma and Tundra, not sure it still is... I guess mice sometimes get up into the area where several sensor wires (electronics) go... But this is RIGHT in the middle of the motor. The part is like 100 bucks, but to get there you have to basically take half the motor apart. Thus, after not driving the truck for a few weeks when we were away one late summer, I had a 1700 dollar repair to fix a 100 dollar part! Needless to say, I now kill mice like it's my purpose in life! Toyota was aware of this happening - the tech noted they "do this often"...

Now, beyond those things, it's been awesome. It goes where I want to (I'm no off road wild man, but if I need to dive into a snow bank to park or drive a trail a little, it's done fine) and the mileage has outperformed the sticker. I have not checked lately (80K so it may have changed)... But for the first few years, after I got a Tunneau cover on the thing I was mind boggled that doing like 40-60 consistently I could get 25mpg. People dont believe me when I say it... But the math was consistent! Without the cover it's probably 3-5 lower at similar speeds.

Overall, it's been a great rig. It also fits in the garage even being a double cab and full bed, and the narrowness of the truck overall lets me drive into breaks in stone walls on old jeep roads if I need to do a 3pt turn etc.

Not sure it's big enough for you given the difference in size in the ford you have though... My buddy has your truck - thankfully he's not had issues that you have... But his truck looks a lot bigger than mine when they are next to each other, and his truck feels more like my wives 2011 Pilot when you sit in it.

09-Jan-18
'17 Tacoma trd sport. much better on gas than my old tundra...kindof small for me though... but fine for work and bombing around.

09-Jan-18
Will, did the cover REALLY make a 3-5 mpg difference? That's pretty amazing. If the difference is that profound I'm thinking I need to get a cover.

09-Jan-18
2014 Tacoma, like it very much. Only issue, pretty minor, is that fuel gauge gets stuck in the "empty" position.

09-Jan-18
I have owned 5 Ford F150's and in 2010 bought a Toyota Tundra. It now has 150,200 miles on it. I have done nothing but change the oil, tranny fluid, tires and brakes. Runs like a top and even plow with it. Still has original battery. All my Ford's started costing me money in the 100--125K miles and I never kept one after 138K. My next truck once again will be a Tundra.

09-Jan-18
Bruce... Close. I think the sticker was 19-21. That was accurate. when I got the cover, around 8K or so, I started doing the math again and was 23-25. Thats a 3 fold vinyl cover. Again though, where I noticed it most was from 40-60mph done steady. Around town, not sure I see much change... hard to decipher any way. If I'm buzzing on the highway - 65-75, it's still probably 20-22 pending wind and terrain. So It's not that the cover will save you 3-5mpg all the time, just in those sort of ideal conditions - at least in my Taco. That said, I have just the standard set up, not the TRD. could be that the slightly higher set up and beefier tires (I think thats all true??) of the TRD set up, would eliminate the gain.

Regardless, I'd still suggest the cover. I think it would save some miles, and, if you have to put stuff in the back and go into a store or something, it's nice not advertising what you are carrying for those with sticky fingers...

09-Jan-18
2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab with Hemi. 130K miles now. Bought it brand new. Never touched a thing, no front end work, nothing at all....new battery 2 yrs ago. brakes once, still on my second set of tires and trying to get through the winter on them.. Previous truck was a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Cummings Diesel. 8' Fisher Plow since new. traded it in with 169K miles. put in a set of batteries, set of brakes, two sets of tires, dash was starting to crack from sun exposure. That's it...no other parts replacements.....I was a die hard Ford guy and Ford family.....Not any more....

09-Jan-18
Tundra is the only choice. I’ve owned chevys,fords, dodges and Toyota’s and not beats the Toyota. My Tundra is hands down the best truck I’ve ever sat in. Drive one and you will fall in love.

09-Jan-18
Tundra is the only choice. I’ve owned chevys,fords, dodges and Toyota’s and not beats the Toyota. My Tundra is hands down the best truck I’ve ever sat in. Drive one and you will fall in love.

09-Jan-18
06 Tacoma here with 127,000 miles on it. Besides regular brake stuff I haven’t put a single dime into an engine repair. I also have the new frame installed. You simply can’t beat Toyota’s reliability. We have Fords at work and they break down like crazy I will never own a Ford period. Besides Toyota you may want to look at a GMC Canyon as they are loaded to the gills with features. Ironically I test drove a Toyota FJ Cruiser and checked out a 2015 Tacoma yesterday. Great vehicles but damn it I don’t want another payment as mine is paid off years ago. I have no reason to sell it as it just keeps on trucking but I just feel like something new.

09-Jan-18
I haven't owned a truck for years, but am looking to change that soon. I've had 2 Toyotas, a Tercel and a Tacoma. Obviously the Tercel isn't a truck, but it still gave me a great experience with Toyota's. I sold both of them with over 200,000 miles and the original clutch. I had them both when i was fairly young and did everything I could to beat them up: donuts, burnouts, E-brake slides, 360's and I never had to do anything other than give them oil changes and change tires, not one problem ever. I'm going to be in the market for another 5 speed Tacoma pretty soon.

09-Jan-18
2016 Tacoma. Cheaper to buy new than used (consider interest rate). Love my truck and “like” my 2017 Wrangler Unlimited

09-Jan-18

jm255's embedded Photo
This is the grocery getter!!!!! Hahaha
jm255's embedded Photo
This is the grocery getter!!!!! Hahaha
Drive a 96 ram 2500 12v diesel everyday! She got 380k miles??

09-Jan-18
Sometimes find myself wishing I had certain type of Jeep for plowing, because of maneuverability.

09-Jan-18
I hear that, Jeb. I have a 2015 GMC Canyon crew cab that I plow with... dang plow makes the thing turn like an aircraft carrier.

09-Jan-18
02 f150 xlt supercab 5.4 bought in 2011 with 93,000 ml, 172,000 now, only issue besides maintenance i recently did a heater core flush..

2002 f250superduty xlt lariat crew cab 5.4 bought in 2004 with 36000 mls..totaled with 225,000 mls 2011..basic maintenance...damn i miss that truck!!!

1989 f150 xlt lariat 4.9 bought in 1995 with 115,000 mls put in new crate engine at 210,000 2003..basic maintenance..sold it for 2500$.

Get the theme i did roofing/siding for years,always hauling something..not sure about the new fangled fords but you cant kill the old ones

09-Jan-18
Tundra, check out tundras.com lot's of info.

09-Jan-18
I was told Toyota has most rigid frame, best for plowing. I have no idea if this is true. Heard it in the parking lot of a Pennsylvania bar from a drunk hillbilly.

09-Jan-18
Just kidding. Heard it from a guy who's not prone to BS.

10-Jan-18
Notme, at work in 2016 we had a 2012 F450 diesel blow the engine. Retired her at 120,000 miles. And that new DEF system is a pain in the ass. We brought in a new truck 3 times to have that fixed under warranty.

10-Jan-18
I have 2011 chevy silverado couldn't be happier with reliability,comfortable,power , I have driven this truck to new mexico, newfoundland, wyoming,south Carolina, and tennessee many times loaded down with coolers,atv,and gear miles in the middle of no man's land , without a hiccup for a 1/2 ton to hold up as good as this truck has I will by another. Test drive as many trucks as you can but they chevy 1/2 ton is so comfortable on long hauls and so reliable it gets my vote!

10-Jan-18
Yes my chevy only has 111,000 now, I plan on driving another year and trading in, routine maintenance and truck is not babied it's everyday driver

10-Jan-18
Spike, you cant kill the 5.4.other than the spark plug issues with the earlier ones their pretty bullet proof..the diesels i know diddly about.at work we have 2002-04 350p/u,450,550, and 650 dumps all have less than 80,000..all spend more time ideling than driving and driving maybe 5mls a day if i go in enough circles(cemetery 500)..lol.the biggest load is maybe 3yrds of dirt..there is a 1991 350 gas dump that just turned 100k..its funny when they go in for a yearly check up and come back with new tires and parts..lol...so if you have an in at a cemetery that might be the way to go

10-Jan-18
LOl. They may be fine doing circles in a cemetery but don’t take them on the highway! Honestly the F250 gas truck has been fine so far but the diesels are horrendous. I worked in one location in VA where it was a mud pit. I would take the Fords in weekly for repair but the old Chevy would not die at 230,000 miles. The guys laughed at me cuz I chose that beat up truck as mine but she never went in for repairs! Probably running still to this day lol

10-Jan-18
I will second the Nissan Frontier. Again it may be smaller than you are looking for, but I bought a 2010 Pro4x with 19k miles on it and have nearly 80k miles on now and have never taken it in. I do all my own fluids, routine maint., but have never had a problem except for having to replace a control arm (easy at home fix that cost less than $100 to do both sides). I have heard from a number of people that their Frontiers have gone more than 250k.

10-Jan-18
Not truck related but same platform and engine. I have a 2008 Eddie Bauer expedition. Same chassis and engine as the Ford F-150. 5.4 triton engine. At 100k had to replace the ignition packs ( 80 a piece ) 125 k had to do the whole timing chain tension pulleys and water pump. At 180k decided to replace the whole engine because something bore threw the cylinder head!!! Well needless to say after 8 grand later we have a new engine, water pump, ignition packs, starter and whatever else goes under the effin hood. 2 months later the heater coil went another 800. Expedition runs like a dream now with a 100k warranty on the engine. Wife made me buy her a Nissan Armada !! That tells you something about the fords. Get an import either Toyota or Nissan. Big fan of the gmc trucks also never heard a complaint from those and have 2 friends who own them. My .02

10-Jan-18
Ha Ha, my 2001 F250 7.3 diesel is incredibly well. Next truck will be a Toyota. I know of 3 GMs trucks that were absolute nightmares and were all traded for Tundras . Obviously all the auto workers drink on the job, no matter what make or model !

10-Jan-18
All good info. Given that all of the new Wranglers are grocery getters short of the Rubicon (all the new ones only come with 3.45 rear ends), I think I’ll be moving to a truck. $50k for a rubicon with a 3.6l pentastar or a useless turbo desiel is just too much.

10-Jan-18
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 dbl cab w/ 'short' bed 237k miles! runs great!!! got the short bed for parking in cities, was working in Boston at the time. got the DBL Cab because I had 2 little ones and couldn't take them in my 2-seater Taco. I love this truck so much that I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I know they're big dollar but they last and the resale in amazing. can fit full grown adults in the back seat. drive it to VA every summer w/ my 12yr old, 10yr old and a Lab in the back seat.

Never had any issues w/ it other than the frame recall. but that was resolved w/ a new frame this past year and they replaced all the associated parts. :-) other than wear and tear like tires and breaks I've only had to replace the front hubs and bearings. I get about 70k miles on a set of Dunlaps, most of my driving is highway.

if you know anyone at a dealer, NON Salespeople!, hit them up. I found out by talking to Toyota peeps, the Taco had ZERO engine / drive train issues for that body style before I bought it.

10-Jan-18
Someday if i ever smarten up i will get on a plane and fly south, texas, Arizona maybe. Then i will buy a rust free truck from the 80s or earlly 90s and drive it back home.

10-Jan-18
After owning a couple of Ford Rangers, in 2004 I bought a new Nissan Titan. In the 12 years 125000 miles I had it, all that was done to it was tires, brakes, and a battery. My cousin (Ford guy) would check the frame and undercarriage when even I visited him. No rust at all. He would always comment about his '98 and 2007 Fords and his rust problems. Nice truck but could not afford another new one. I traded it in for a 2016 Toyota Tocoma TRD, Its not the Titan but it runs good and is much, much better on gas.

11-Jan-18
I cant believe how popular this thread got. My big take away from this is that if you want the most reliable truck on the market, its gotta be a Toyota (or maybe a Nissan).

I looked at a couple yesterday. They are awesome trucks. They are expensive though. Theyre like $5k more expensive than comparable trucks. Plus I am going from a full size crew cab now and the tundra double cab just seems too small. The crewmax is really ideal. I guess it boils down to whether you want to pay the extra $5kish for no issues for the next 5+ years.

11-Jan-18
What about the Honda Ridgeline? I see a lot of those on the road, and here good things from owners. Consumer reports ranks it high

11-Jan-18
CN, interesting point. I forget those exist. A good buddy who's a gear head just bought one. His first truck, but traded his Mercedes Sprinter Van for the Ridgeline and is convinced it's going to be awesome for the next 10 years for him. My wives Pilot has been awesome - it's an 11. 135K and going strong, though we just had to replace the rear shocks, do the second battery change and do the brakes. But to get to 135K with not much but oil changes and tires seems a good indicator. Note that because I think the Ridgeline uses a lot of Pilot parts - frame etc...

11-Jan-18
Wow, new trucks - you guys are silly! My "new" truck is a '99 F-350 Crew Cab, 7.3 with a 6 Speed manual. It's only got 320K on it, goes through everything, gets 20+mpg on the highway and pulls my 25' Grady White like it was a 17' Whaler. No rust, bought it used in Texas for $12K. My other "truck" is a '78 Bronco on 35's with a 400 M block and 4 speed. I would take any American truck form the 70's over a new truck every day of the week. If you want pretty and comfortable buy a car...

11-Jan-18
I have to wonder how much of it is luck? I have heard so many horror stories about certain makes/models, then heard others say how much they love the same exact vehicle. I know when I bought my '12 Ram 1500 everyone I knew said I was crazy, but I could not be happier with it. No issues at all, pushing 100k miles with only routine maintenance. Only time will tell if it holds up I guess. I am not a Dodge, Ford or Chevy guy, I am just a guy who expects a truck to run properly when I invest $40k. Sad that standards are so low in the car industry and the solution seems to be to lower the warranties so they don't have to pay to fix their f ups.

11-Jan-18
Yes Will, you know your getting old when....... I’m on my sixth full size GMC. I don’t need a full size anymore. Room enough for a deer, and a bag of trash to the dump every Sunday. Plus, I would love to do better than 14mpg!!

11-Jan-18
My vehicle before this was a 99 f250 with a 7.3. Best truck ever made. I just don't need anything that big nor do I want to replace hubs and ball joints and bushings every 1-2 years.

I just don't think I could bring myself to buy a ridgeline. Its just not a real truck. That's like a hybrid truck/suv. Its like the El Camino of SUVs haha.

11-Jan-18
BWB22; that’s what consumer reports said about the Ridgeline. Basically a mini van, with a truck bed. Still tows 5,000 lbs. great mileage, and comfortable, but not an off-road pick up

11-Jan-18
Financing a depreciating asset. Absolute worst thing you can do with hard earned money!!! My first truck was $11,000 brand new. Now $50,000. I’m tapping out. Can anyone pick me up to hunt next year?

11-Jan-18
Ahhh, would have been awesome to show up to hunt in an El Camino... or a Subaru Baja for that matter! ha ha ha! I'm a Subaru lover, but what were they thinking with that thing!

I see that with the Ridgeline... The new one looks less trucky. Good though if you do stuff and need "outside the cabin" space, but dont want to be a off roader.

BW, goofy question, is your wife pregnant by any chance? If so, best discount ever. Have her go in solo and ponder used while noting "new are just to much with the baby on the way"... She may get a 5-8K discount. I learned this trick by accident when my very pregnant (5'4, normally 115-120#) with twins wife walked into Westboro Honda looking at used Pilots in 11. She called and told me she got a 35K rig for about 28 :), which we have forever called the "pregnant lady discount"... That said, the cost of the kids outpaces the savings on the car by like 100 fold, so forget I said this :)

11-Jan-18
I’m fat enough to pass for pregnant. Maybe I’ll give it a whirl.

11-Jan-18

Come november's embedded Photo
Come november's embedded Photo
New el Camino coming out

11-Jan-18
Will, have you read about the new Subaru Ascent coming out? Fricken loaded with features. Great if you have kids.

11-Jan-18
I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500. Love it and I drive a ton for work (200,000) on it and got it new. Haven't had any issues with it. I have a friend who has a Toyota for a truck and loves it.

11-Jan-18
Looks like I'll have to take ComeNovember with me and pretend he is my pregnant girlfriend haha

11-Jan-18
Pic's or it didnt happen :) ha ha ha!

Spike - no, I've not heard of that... Ill have to check it though - we are starting to ponder a replacement for the pilot given the 1-2X year trips we do to MN or beyond and to FL. Just the wife and I and we breakdown in east tweedle dee - no biggie. But with 6 year olds... Not so good...

11-Jan-18
I worked as a Nissan master tech for about 5 years. In my opinion the Frontiers are a great truck, although maybe too small for what you want. I agree with most everyone else, the tundra is the way I would go if buying a new/newish truck. Good luck.

11-Jan-18
Interesting, 30 years ago (when there was no internet), in about ten seconds this would have become a Ford vs Chevy argument. "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Chevy." Or vice-versa. Whatever.

11-Jan-18
I'll add one other consideration - I'm 6'3", my buddies Tundra is no where near as comfy as my Superduty or my buddy's Silverado. Just saying ...

12-Jan-18
I did drive a tundra last night and I feel that my F150 was definitely a better ride.

I keep looking at Fords and GMCs and I am finding some great deals but I just don't want to deal with issues anymore. I'm definitely gun shy now. I keep coming back to Tundra being the pick for reliability.

12-Jan-18
MRW, I keep cycling back here to see how folks feel. you hit an interesting note on the Tacoma. My buddy who's 6'5" had a late 90's Taco for a while, the seat was pinned back. He used it, and liked it, but never took it on family trips etc... When we went turkey hunting with me he looked like he was maxing the cockpit on the passenger side of my Taco for sure. But, Bigwoods22, in his F150 he's sitting like he's sitting in his living room. While I love my Taco and for me, it's the right size/reliability etc... his 150 is basically a sofa that handles nicely :). If you like that feel, the Tundra definitely seems the Toyota for you... Or perhaps Cp55 can chime in on his experiences with the Nissan Titan - is that truck still out there?

Given how nice "recent" Ford/Chevy/GMC's look, I'm actually a little surprised at how many guys here "voted" Toyota/Nissan...

12-Jan-18
Will, no doubt Ford, Chevy, and GMC are nice and more loaded then Toyota I feel they just aren’t as reliable. I wish they were cuz you get more bang for your buck. And make no mistake the Jap cars provide plenty of jobs here in the plants. Might be awhile until I ever buy another American car again and also beer! Except we do have some good micro brews here. All the rest taste like water.

12-Jan-18
To Will's question, my experience with the Nissan Titan was mediocre , and this is purely from a "how often they break and need to be fixed point of view". The titan engines were great, I never saw any serious problems with them, as were the transmissions. The front ends were problematic, lots of ball joints/control arms and wheel bearing/hub assemblies. I encountered some electric problems with the titans as well. The most common failure I personally saw was the IPDMER (Integrated power distribution module). I couldn't tell you how the Titans from the last few years have been. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used one. One down side for any used Toyota is that you are in part paying for the "name". The other side of that coin is that if you sell it, resale will be good. Some of the price tags on new trucks blows my mind. I am fortunate that I was able to install a lift in my garage and fix my own vehicles. My 2003 ranger just turned 300K (original engine/trans/drivetrain) and the rust/rot is starting on the back section of the frame rails. I feel for you guys trying to figure out what truck to buy. I've always bought my vehicles with the mentality that when it breaks, I'm the guy that has to fix it, so I pick vehicles that are easy to work on.... that is the mentality of a mechanic I guess. By the way Will, Subaru makes an excellent vehicle. I've been a Subaru mechanic for 10 years and I am still impressed by them. At last count I think there are 4 or 5 in my family. Very well built, reliable and so easy to work on. Best of luck on picking a truck.

12-Jan-18
Its funny because I learned Toyota is actually more American made than Ford and Chevy. Designed, engineered, and built in the USA, unlike Ford and Chevy. They just aren't American owned. Go figure.

12-Jan-18
Bigwoods - I knew a lot of Toyota's products were built here, but didn't know it was that far - that's cool. I wish you luck man, it's not easy to make these decisions which are a LOT of $$ for darn sure.

CP - not surprised on the Sub's. We've loved ours, and the "audobon camo" they provide is excellent when hunting suburban areas :). Spike noted the new one they have coming out, I looked at it a bit, and if the price is not "microwave your mind high", that's going to be on the Pilot replacement list.

12-Jan-18
CP, my commuter is a Forrester and I am so annoyed with those stupid rubber gaskets for the spark plug tubes. Had the dealer we bought it from do them and valve cover gaskets at 75K, at 110K they were leaking bad again, had a local shop do them for $400 less. At 135K again. Car is at 175K now and I can't keep oil in it. Don't know if I want to do those F'in rubber seals again or run it dry and blow the POS up.

13-Jan-18
Big woods what was your issue with the tundra ride. I've owned several fords and smooth ride my tundra gives doesn't compare to ford. The only complaints I have with tundra is there is a huge blind spot where the roof support attaches to the hood (drivers side mirror area) and the gas pedal is touchy.

13-Jan-18
Pro, I just thought it was a little rougher than the f150. Not by much at all but being that I put 25K a year on my ford, I could notice the difference. By no means was it a bad ride, just a little stiffer than the ford.

13-Jan-18
Trucks are like woman. They are good when they work. I guess my computer problem is fixed. No actual opinion on the issue , just taking my computer for a test drive ... Carry on .

13-Jan-18
I had 2 silverados. 5.3 and a 5.7. engines were pretty good and peppy. but numerous brake pad, rotor issues, paint peeling, 1 tranny failure. definitely go pre owned toyota next time if there is one. Cant see spending a mortgage payment on something that will be worth nothing 7 years from now... Plus with 2 kids my loving bride shamed (p++++whipped?) me into an SUV for the foreseable future.( jeep liberty).

13-Jan-18

spike78's Link
This is what I really want!

13-Jan-18
Look at the pics drool drool

13-Jan-18

captain's embedded Photo
captain's embedded Photo
This is my 2014 f150 with every option even air condition seats it has 7100 miles on it most all highway never an issue just brakes tires and oil changes she will get traided in the next couple of Months for my last new truck Most likely another Ford

13-Jan-18

strokedfx's embedded Photo
strokedfx's embedded Photo
Sorry guys had to do it old lifted bad gas mileage 1990 f350 w bigblock 6 mpg

16-Jan-18

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
2017 Chevy Colorado this is my 3rd 2002 2012 now this ,only put brakes on them . this one is 300 hp and I have gotten 28 miles on a trip .Steve

16-Jan-18
Strokedfx - man I miss those old style mirrors!

Bigwoods put the jinx on my Tundra. I seem to have an issue................

17-Jan-18
Oh man Pro, what happened?

Thanks to everyone's advice, I ended up buying a 2014 Tundra last night. I wish I was more excited. I really loved my F150. I had a 2" lift with 33's and it just looked really sharp. It was the perfect truck, just a bad motor. I'll set this truck up the same pretty soon and it will look really cool but I miss a lot of the little things the F150 had. IM sure it will grow on me pretty quickly. Worry free traveling will be a giant bonus haha. Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. This was a great thread, cant believe it got so big.

17-Jan-18
The first time you drive by a ford sitting on the side of the road all those feelings will melt away. Great choice. Love my Tundra.

17-Jan-18
Looks like transmission is slipping.

17-Jan-18
I agree Bigwoods22, Fords and Chevys more loaded but Toyota more reliable.

17-Jan-18
Ya my decision was entirely based upon reliability. I drive a lot for work and having a vehicle I cant count on just isn't an option for me anymore.

17-Jan-18
Not sure if the Tundra will do this but when you hit the brake watch out for the ABS to fail. My Tacoma just slides when I hit the brake cuz the ABS just locks up. I read it’s a huge problem with the Tacoma’s. Not sure if all years or just early. Mines an 06.

20-Jan-18
On my second used Tacoma. First one frame-rotted, but they gave me 150% of book value for it. Second one was warranty-undercoated at no charge. If you own a Tacoma there's a website that will tell you of any outstanding recalls for your truck, just type in the VIN. My current truck is a 4 cylinder, which is ok for gas mileage but I miss the 6 cylinder for performance/fun. And if I buy another it will be an automatic...

20-Jan-18
Dana, I own one and even in 6 cylinder I find it slow. You might laugh but I just started reading about the new 2017 and 18 Honda Ridgelines and besides 4X4 they seem to blow the Tacoma out of the water in terms of what you get for your money. I love Tacoma’s but honestly this new updated Ridgeline is sweet! Check them out and let me know what you think.

20-Jan-18
Mine had the older 3.4 L and it had plenty of power if you downshifted and punched it ;-)

20-Jan-18
being I the auto body & mechanical repair business I see them all....my take. if I had to buy a new 1/2 ton is would be either gm or Toyota . tundras are hard on fuel but p robally get the edge on relieabley. run ....run far away from the new Ford's . the aluminum body's don't hold up,dent easy and are costly to repair. I currently drive 14 ram 2500 diesel......because Toyota doesn't make a 2500

• Sitka Gear