SalvoKing 31-Jan-18
xi 31-Jan-18
Sosso 01-Feb-18
Moons22 07-Feb-18
Moons22 07-Feb-18
Moons22 07-Feb-18
Skippah 07-Feb-18
09-Jan-18
First real attempt at duck hunting and got yelled at across the water and cops called on me, I had all my ducks in a row so to speak lol..... license, permission for hunting this area, steel shot, at least 700/800 ft from the dudes house, direction of shots were a 90° across water so also at least 700/800 ft because I waited for them to fly off the water and get to that point before I shot, had waders on and a fishing rod with me for retrieval and kayak in truck bed in case. I covered all the bases and I'm happy I missed lol..... because retrieval would have been pretty weird with that scenario of the guy yelling and on the phone with cops across the water....I just picked up my little makeshift blind material and rod and walked to my truck and left

09-Jan-18
Probably doing the same thing again on Saturday after double triple and quadruple checking all my legalities tonight on my own, it's a great spot with open/moving water no ice, on coastal waterfowl zone......what do you guys think??

09-Jan-18
If you know that you're 100% legal I would definitely go hunt again. Maybe try to swing by this guys house or contact him somehow prior to going back. Present him with all the state laws, showcase that you are acting legally within said laws, maybe you can help him to understand. If he's still pissed off, at least you might be able to avoid the cops interrupting your hunt.

09-Jan-18
I like that idea hsfc, thanks, I was very nervous when it all went down. I didn't run but I didn't waist any time with getting my things together and walking straight to my truck in order to not have to deal with the possibility of explaining myself to the police

09-Jan-18
Should I just go there and knock on the door though? I will, and I'll be polite and curtious.....but is that a good idea? Lol I guess it's at least instant results right

09-Jan-18
Impossible to say for sure what I would actually have done in that circumstance, I realize. But part of me thinks I might have stayed in place, just to have the opportunity to explain myself. If you're legal, you're legal. I have one slightly-remote spot that the police frequent. I've crossed paths with them on the road and now they know me enough to give me a wave when we see each other. Once you're a known good-guy, you're all set.

09-Jan-18
I'd definitely double check everything to make sure you are legal, check property lines and all that. Also make sure your in the coastal zone. If you are still all legal, I'd talk to the guy hopefully he'll see he is in the wrong. He can't do anything besides harass a hunter after that.

09-Jan-18
Just thinking out loud: I might actually talk to EPO. If you're legal, he should be on your side. Then EPO goes and talks to homeowner. I'm not advising, though. Who knows. Any strategy could backfire.

09-Jan-18
I agree run it by an ep see what he says, but personally I'd rather talk to the guy before sending an ep to his house. That's just me I just think that might be a bad first or actually second impression on him. Like Jeb said it can go either way. I always try and put myself in their shoes and go about in a way I'd like to be approached.

09-Jan-18
Jeb's idea with the EPO is a good one also, but in this state who knows, could be a crap shoot. The worst he can do if you politely knock on his door and explain yourself is to yell at you.

09-Jan-18
If you're legal then just go an hunt and don't worry about anything.... it's legal....you're doing nothing wrong. This is what bothers me so much. Us hunters abide by the laws, double and triple check everything, and still have to worry about dealing with law enforcement and antis every time we go out. If this was NH the guys would yell across the pond "hey nice shot! Come over for a beer after your hunt!". I wouldn't let the guy bother me. Good luck duck huntin

09-Jan-18
It's such a loaded question huh, I'm going to think quite a bit about it for the rest of the week, call epo and ask questions ( I've done it a few times recently) just to make sure of things because I'm fairly new to the sport of carrying firearms and archery equipment in the woods and waters edges and still feel a bit like I'm in the wrong.....only because I'm uncomfortable. I'm positive that I'm not breaking any laws though, only thing is "THE GUY" he has a complete outdoorsman sanctuary out his backdoor and maybe that's why he's mad because he hunts also, he has chickens and a nice big house that last looks like works being done to it by him......we'll see

09-Jan-18
Thanks moons, you're full of piss and vinegar, and are a very successful hunter

09-Jan-18
I just cringe at the thought of being approached by cops and I have my whole get up with me and he's possibly a hot head cop, I'm not a youngin anymore, I just couldn't imagine a heated confrontation with police at this point in my life, I might actually call the police station and just say my story, along with epo and (my new found buddy).......I bet the police would suggest that I lay off and don't hunt

09-Jan-18
F that go hunt it's LEGAL!!! As long as you know 100% that it's legal.. which is tough in this state.... get out there and hunt! Life is too short to be dealing with this type of b.s. It's legal!! Go shoot a stack!

09-Jan-18
F that go hunt it's LEGAL!!! As long as you know 100% that it's legal.. which is tough in this state.... get out there and hunt! Life is too short to be dealing with this type of b.s. It's legal!! Go shoot a stack!

09-Jan-18
Honestly moons I have all my shit ready like it's clothes laid out for the morning lol, plan is pop up blind on the tip of sod bank before the sun comes up, the only thing is the LAW (which I'm abiding by) and the dude across the water.....those two should be dealt with before Saturday just for my own sanity

09-Jan-18
Hey Skippah , I dropped a p/m for you to consider. Moons knows the spot . I don't know squat about bird hunting but this could be fun. You too Moons if your into it. No guarantees but I think it has a good bunch of birds. Again , I don't know one from another . But the situation is secure .

PS the wife is away this week ... I smell trouble in the air...

09-Jan-18
Oh boyyyyyyy

09-Jan-18
Keep in touch guys, I think Saturday morning is going to be this spot, but who knows about the rest of the day. Also, geese are next on the hit list for this year, got a couple last year and would like to try to make a batch of goose sausage

09-Jan-18
Happened to me last year. Lady had a btch fest screaming at me on the bank. I just kept blasting away. She kept threatening to call the cops, so I just said call the fn cops you stupid btch. She left and no cops ever came. I'm not usually an angry person, but she just kept yelling and I lost my cool. Oh well

10-Jan-18
Wow, well at least she didn't deter you and you stood your ground...... some people have no clue

10-Jan-18
Go to his house you run the risk of him calling the police and saying you are trespassing and harassing him. It's his word against yours and since you went to his house and knocked on his door. It could be a pain in the ass to explain yourself. Call the EPO and possibly have them meet you out there or Go and hunt the area if you are confident you are legal and wait for the police to show up. By the way a good majority of the police might not know what the legal set backs are for hunting. Either way being proactive in contacting the homeowner might not be a good idea in this situation. He already seems like a ballbag and could try and twist your good intentions to his side

10-Jan-18
I know nothing about waterfowl hunting. So, that's the qualifier on the value of my opinion here :)

That said, Skippah, I think I'd call an EP, ask to talk to the EPO covering your region. See if he/she would meet you at the spot you want to hunt. Not to hunt it. Seriously, like lunch hour on a wednesday if that's doable. Tell them why you feel it's legal, what happened when you went and hunted, and walk them through the spot.

If they say: "Hey, look. I get you feel this is legal, but based on the house position this is not an ok area, you have to move on..." Well, sucks but works out. Ducks aren't worth a court date - at least to me. On the other hand, if the EPO say's "Yep, you are good." then perhaps you can ask them to let the local PD know of the situation. Now the PD is hearing about it from a fellow LEO - who they understand to know the rules for outdoors activities better than they do - and when the jerk goes and calls them, they can just ignore the call or offer him education, letting him know it's legal.

Reduces the legit issue that DFA noted... But also doesnt make it more irritating by just showing at the guys house with an EPO or what not.

Just a thought.

10-Jan-18
I wouldn't go to the dudes house. As mentioned before if he is hostile you could be in a world of crap. If he is yelling at you in any way that is hunter harassment and the EPOs should be called. if you are in compliance with ALL of the laws of the land then the EPOs should help you out. Good luck. Let's Go

10-Jan-18

Sosso's Link
Use the link. See who actually owns the land.

10-Jan-18
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll call an EP today I think

10-Jan-18
Agree with let's go, if you go to the guys house it could backfire badly, no good deed goes unpunished... either ignore him, or ask an epo for help... and lastly when hunting that site make sure your I s are dotted, Ts are crossed if you know what I mean...

10-Jan-18
Let's us know what happens.

10-Jan-18
Skippah, some simple things. Is the town huntable ? Any no discharge by-laws ? Who owns the ground your standing on to hunt ? Is it a tidal area ? Is it a great pond, goes back to colonial times ? There are a lot more to ask but start with these. Absolutely agree with don't go to his house to make nice. Also, does he have kids or maybe a dog that's reactive to thunderstorms or other loud noises. Trust me, Im the first to say FU I am legal, but tread lightly with certain concerns. Also, I've said it before, there has never been a Hunter Harassment case successfully prosecuted in the state of MASSACHUSETTS ! Goodluck Brother.

10-Jan-18
Never? Wow i was going to say if or when your approached by an angry home owner you should point out that harassing a hunter is crime. Thier has been a couple posts like this one, its sad that we have to sneak around or flat out stop hunting spots that are leagal

10-Jan-18
Sound like you did your homework. You likely found all this info on line, print it and bring it with you. If nothing elso you will present a beter case then the homeowner if an officer does show up.

10-Jan-18
Stiilhunter, I been waterfowling for 35+ years, it's an addiction. The Coast holds a special place in my heart, now, I'm trying to pass it on to my 10 y.o. son. He is beyond hooked, here he is at 5 years old with me in NY.

10-Jan-18

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo

10-Jan-18
Nice, pass it down. Ive been taking my daughter sense she was two years old

10-Jan-18
"Sound like you did your homework. You likely found all this info on line, print it and bring it with you. If nothing else you will present a better case then the homeowner if an officer does show up." Good words Stillhunter.

I would like to add this : Take the information ( Law for this hunting form/dates , Map and landmarks etc. ) to the local Sargent and let Him know your intentions. Let Him know there may be an objection and you wanted to give a heads up on that. Don't self incriminate by admission to past experience. "A little bird told me" . You will get the nod and then your good to go.

10-Jan-18
Pi, a call to the local PD is a plus, trust me.

10-Jan-18
Exactly my thought. Xi. You want to have them on your side before hand and if it is a legal event they will be pleased to defend your right to do it. That is their job . Sometimes it is easier to do the legwork for them in advance . This is one of those times. IMO. Agreed.

10-Jan-18
Pi, some of the best spots we have in eastern MA are on golf courses for geese, where the Chiefs are members ! No BS, 1 is a no discharge town. They get the call, drive through, beep on the horn and continue on. Do your homework guys, we are hunters, not criminals !

10-Jan-18
The other best spots are behind the Dunkin'- Donuts shop.

10-Jan-18
In Western MA, we call them fat pills for the Jelly Bellies !

11-Jan-18
Believe it or not, years ago we used to duck hunt in Revere and Quincy, not exactly rural areas. The law says you can hunt to the high tide water mark on coastal waters. If all other laws and set backs are satisfied, you’re good to go. Problem is most local PD’s do not know game laws. I’ll say stand your ground if you’re legal. Good luck.

11-Jan-18
Behind which DD shops? Season kicks off again on the 20th. I'm hoping some of the snow clears so I can find some geese cuz out in Z9 it is barren.

11-Jan-18
Duck Hunt Duck Hunt Duck Hunt .

12-Jan-18
Not going tomorrow......not for lack of spirit, but for lack of time. Family calls. Between me and the old lady we got a gram and an uncle that have gone on, informing little kids about great grams and great uncs passing and smoking ribs tomorrow that are brining in the fridge now, ducks are bottom of the list. But I will without a doubt hunt the river again

12-Jan-18
2 year old has no clue, 6 year old will have questions tomorrow about G G ( great gram)

12-Jan-18
Sorry to hear about your loved ones Skippah!

12-Jan-18
Thanks will, we are good man! Elders riding off into the sunset??

12-Jan-18
Scratch the double question mark, didn't do it on purpose

13-Jan-18
Sorry to hear that

13-Jan-18
Thanks stillhunter

15-Jan-18
GEESE!! I’m at Chauncey lake doing some ice fishing. Large flock came in and settled mid lake. They’re out.

See you out on the 20th.

15-Jan-18
I'll be out too! Still learning the ropes of waterfowling, got a couple last year and wasn't sure the best thing to do with the meat, ate it in the fry pan and cooked to rare/medium rare....eeehh I dunno lol, I still have some breast meat and want to take a couple more this season and make a bunch of goose sausage, I would think with a good recipe you can't go wrong with sausage

26-Jan-18

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo
Got 2 today, cleaned them up and kept breasts and leg/thighs

26-Jan-18
nice skip! In your spot? Any issues? Now for some goose jerky!

26-Jan-18
Different spot moons, still one that I had up my sleeve though, jerky sounds good, was thinking sausage though.......might try both

27-Jan-18

Skippah's embedded Photo
Skippah's embedded Photo
One breast batch of thin jerky strips marinating for the smoker tomorrow!

27-Jan-18
Skip, congrats on the honkers ! It's all good when done right.

28-Jan-18
What size shot do you use for geese, and what type of lead and range do you allow? I went for the first time yesterday. I don't have any decoys, but I shoot skeet and trap regularly and I know where when they pass near some fields (just above the tree line). Anyhow, I found out yesterday that I'm great at skeet but half a box of 12ga. BB, does not net me a goose.

For lateral shots I was leading by about 4-5', treating it like a Skeet Station 5. Then tried leading by about a foot or two for shots coming directly at me. I'm not sure on the leads because I know they were flying slower, and higher, than the clays I normally shoot at.

It was 5 minutes of a crap ton of fun. I plan to be out there again tomorrow afternoon.

28-Jan-18
I used royal bluesteel magnun #4 shot, I'm very new at it but they worked for me, geese we're low flying down a river and probably only about 50 feet from me, so pretty easy shot.......I have no clue about range

28-Jan-18
Guys, this time of year I recommend 3 or 3.5 inch BBs with a Modified choke. They are fully feathered now. Perfect out to 40 yards with no problems.

28-Jan-18
^agree

28-Jan-18
Never goose hunted but have done a lot of turkey hunting and although expensive you can try the Heavy shot and go down in shot size from steel BB’s as they are heavier. You will get more pellets and longer range from Heavyshot 2’s then steel BB. For turkey 7.5 shot with Heavyshot is deadly. I read down south they load #9 shot for turkey with the heavier metal and can put like 100 pellets in the head!

29-Jan-18
Got my first goose!

Sorry, no pics. I lost my phone ice fishing on Friday. But here's what happened (please keep in mind I am hunting w/out decoys).

I found a field with a tree line that surrounds 3 sides and I established a flight pattern, direction, time of day etc. So, this being my 2nd hunt, I had a better idea of what to expect. I ran with M and IM chokes, and 3" BB at 1560 fps. Anyhow, a flock comes in just over the tree line 30-40 yds away. I lead the front goose by about 2'. I lead him too much the first shot and by too little the second. Anyhow, the flock circled around and I watched them fly to a field across the road and land in another corn field. Over the next 20-30 minutes I saw flock after flock land in that field vs fly over the one I was in, headed to the pond. So, I packed up and headed for that other field. I was able to walk in to them about 30 yds before they all took off. I picked one in mid flight and gave him two shots (it was about 40 yds away and about 20' off the ground. He took off, on the ground at a slow walk, then finally sat down. I forgot my machete (great for breaking turkey necks - hit them with the backside as the blade side doesn't usually cut all the way through). So I shot it in the head.

Anyhow, I dressed it and hung it in the garage. I'll breast it out tomorrow after it finishes rigor. Definitely more fun that turkey hunting, and I'm impressed at how tough they are. If I go out w/out decoys again I'm half tempted to go out with #4 buck (joke - maybe).

I could see how this is quickly going to start costing me money in decoys.

Happy hunting!

29-Jan-18
Nice sosso! Couple too many Jameson's on the ice??? Lol! Crazy how expensive those decoys are.

29-Jan-18
The bad thing was I was sober. I had no excuse, I was just an idiot (leaned over, phone fell out of pocket). Yeah, the price of decoys is retarded. I can get those collapsible folding foam turkey decoys for cheap, geese and ducks don't seem to have an equivalent. Cabelas wants $300 for 6. That's insane.

btw, It's beer only while ice fishing. I promptly had 3 in short order after I lost my phone.

30-Jan-18
Nice job sosso, anyone have any experience cooking the legs at all? Or even grinding them for sausage?

31-Jan-18
This happens to me all the time in multiple spots I hunt. What I have learned is the Police don't really know the full extent of the hunting Laws, all the EP cares about is if you are following the law and that the homeowner doesn't know jack shit. What I do now is print out a copy of the town firearm by laws, the state hunting seasons, and a google map that shows my shooting location is legal and always have a copy on me. When I have an interaction with the public I am very polite and simply say that it is legal, look them in the eye and say thank you and walk away while the flip out and go on my way. If the police or EPs confront you, it usually ends up being a civil conversation, especially when you show them all your documentation. The officers usually will then go speak to who ever is harassing you, and tell them there is nothing they can do and that have to leave you alone, or its hunter harassment, and that is a crime. Then at some point all the attention being brought on to you stops and you are able to enjoy your hobby in peace. The first couple times its nerve wracking, but you get used to it, plus you get to meet the local Police force and EPs. Which is a good thing especially when they know you and you are a safe consensus hunter. They will eventually know your spots and your truck and leave you alone. Get out there and HUNT!

31-Jan-18
Somebody on here said they carry a binder with all this info for all their different spots. This is very smart I think, but also sad that it is necessary. A different (partial) solution that I have is that I put a little sign on the seat of my truck that says "please call to view written permission," with my phone number. No one has ever called. I have no way of knowing if that sign has saved me from any hassles.

31-Jan-18
Here's another little nugget of disheartening truth. People make stuff up. I was talking to some guy recently who told me, with complete certainty, that there was a 200-foot setback from any property line. Yikes.

31-Jan-18
Jeb the fake phone number is always a great trick.

31-Jan-18
Sosso, Waterfowling is a religion to me. A tip for you, call the local PD before you shoot and after your setup. "Hey it's me (your name, I'm hunting at (the address) just a heads up when you get a call". It works wonders, trust me.

01-Feb-18
Xi, that's a good idea. I'm in z0 today, as is everyone else. However, I'm thinking of bailing in about an hour or two to get some decoys down at bass pro, then hitting the field I got my goose at the other day.

07-Feb-18
My buddies got a 6 man limit of honkers this am. Lots of jerky there!

07-Feb-18

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo

07-Feb-18
7 man

07-Feb-18
Wow that's alot of geese

• Sitka Gear