Three feathers 14-Jan-18
Three feathers 14-Jan-18
Swampy 14-Jan-18
albino 15-Jan-18
Swampy 16-Jan-18
Trapper 17-Jan-18
albino 17-Jan-18
12-Jan-18
Why do you go out of your way and possibly pay more at these little, local, mom and pa shops?

Growing up we had a shop called Jalensky's on the westside of Racine. Great service even for punk kids like myself.

Watching Around the Corner in PBS last night there was a segment on an outdoors store around the corner called Yellow Wood. I'll have to check them out even though they seem a but high end.

12-Jan-18
I drive down to Ackerville Archery, which is about 25 minutes from my house. Local shop, good tech, good guy, knows bows, and yes I pay more there, but I do not care,,,,

same goes for guns, I usually go to Bills House of Guns in Lomira, now there is a gun shop. From the time you walk in, you know your in a gun shop...... going to Cabelas is like going to the cosmetic counter at Boston Store, it about that appealing,,,,,

At Bills they talk guns, know guns, and really will help you out,,,,, Yes I pay more, but again I do not care,,,,,plus they give away free peanut brittle and coffee

12-Jan-18
Jalensky has also been in Kenosha on Greenbay road since I got here 20 years ago. I bought an Alumacraft from there last year. They still have bows, guns and supplies. The Jalensky family doesn't own it anymore but one brother still works there in the Marine department selling boats.

12-Jan-18
There are a number of archery pro-shops within an hour's drive of my home and I have visited them all on more than one occasion. About the "big box" archery outlets, they are fun to visit to see what's new and for the occasional purchase. But when it comes to major items, competent advice, and great customer service I always go to Papa's Trading Post on hwy. 14 in Arena. I have been dealing with them ever since Randy bought the business a few years ago and have never been disappointed. Yep, I know their prices are not the lowest to be found, but I have never left that shop feeling I did not get my money's worth. Whether or not you like Mathews products, that's one thing, but you can't beat their technical expertise, advice, and customer service. I recommend them highly.

12-Jan-18
I try to patronize the smaller shops as it is those places that usually give you more personal service. And, those owners/employees are usually much better at doing their jobs as are some part time guys in a big box store. The other reason I patronize those types of places is that too many of them have been put out of business by the big box places. These are mom and pop stores that support families and traditions that I admire and respect.

12-Jan-18
I drive 40 minutes to my pro-shop, West Town Archery. Great guys and excellent service. I may buy smaller items at a big-box store (Cabelas, etc.) but I always trust the pro-shop with my bow.

12-Jan-18
Groundhunter, I got my first gun at Bills in 1970, a Marlin 22 auto with a 7 shot clip. Bought 4-5 guns there since. It sure isn't like it was. Big box stores taking a toll on the little guy. I buy from the little guy whenever I can. Archery, guns, fishing equipment etc..

12-Jan-18
I try to as much as possible, but there is nothing around me for Traditional Archery to speak of. I have to buy all my stuff on-line which sucks, because I like to pick up and look at what I am buying.

12-Jan-18
I have Bucks' and Bull's Archery here. Gary and his staff know their stuff. Hundreds of kids shoot there year round. He helps the sport a lot. Groundhunter, you were there when you came up with Mike for his bear hunt.

Trapper - are you referring to Bill's house of Guns that used to be in Merrill?

12-Jan-18
I'm partial to the "mom and pops", having worked at Fish Lake Bait as a teenager. I love the smell, the camaraderie, the local characters that you don't get at the larger box stores. I still buy most of my smaller stuff at such places, but hard to beat the price savings on larger ticket items such as portable fish shelters or a new shotgun for example. My dilemma these days is the guy that owns the local bait shop (not Fish Lake) is such an arrogant ass I can't hardly stand to patronize him...so I drive 10 miles out of my way to buy $2.50 worth of minnows.

12-Jan-18
No Mike, I'm talking about the one on a little back street in Lomira.

12-Jan-18
Funny/not funny but, we had a local gun shop here in E.C. years ago that was pretty good. Until, the locals started finding there stolen guns on the shelves there.

12-Jan-18
I also have a bait shop . I know of people that drive all the to town and back to get a musky sucker or other bait items because they don't want to run into certain people at the store . They have told me this when I see them elsewhere . My response is do you really think your getting even with them by wasting a hour for a round trip . Also do you really think 2.50 dollars in lost bait sales get back at him . You should see some of the customers we have to deal with . I usually just let it go. But one day had a guy come in and ask for 12 walleye suckers . I rinsed out his bucket put 12+ suckers in his bucket told him 2.85 plus tax . The guy pretty much lost it , said he could get them in town for 2.70 . I asked him for his bucket dumped the minnows back in the tank and said have a good day .

12-Jan-18
Rutt’n Rod Outfitters in Merrill, J’s Archery in Antigo and Shay Creek in Medford are all places I frequent.

12-Jan-18
Little Jon's in Marshal is one of a couple of smaller shops I go to. Great customer service. They spend as much time as needed with every customer. They know equipment and tuning inside and out. On top of it, they never hesitate to offer free shooting form advice and mentoring to anyone with an open mind and willing to listen. The do so professionally and courteously.

12-Jan-18
upnorth, I hear what you're saying, but I don't go elsewhere because I'm trying to hurt him financially. I go elsewhere because he's an a-hole and that's not how I like to start my day...especially a day of fishing. I go for bait, not a shitty condescending attitude. I worked a bait-shop for 6 years, so don't even get me started on some the patrons I've had to deal with.

12-Jan-18
I get 95% of my archery needs from swamp archery in oconto falls. They treat me well, and are always going out of thier to help. Worth the little extra to get quaified people with a smile to help you out.

12-Jan-18
J's Archery in Antigo is worth the drive . Real pro's . Don't use Rutt'n rod .

12-Jan-18
xtroutx - Is that Swampy's shop? I know he lives up that way? Or maybe just a coincidence.

12-Jan-18
Wade is the owner, accually called Lena swamp archery.

12-Jan-18
I think Swampy is a little East yet. Lena swamp archery is a great place to go. I sure heard a lot of names of great places on here. Since I moved I occasionally hang out at Rock River Bait shop. I don't fish much but what a great bunch of guys that hang out there. He really got hurt by the gander going out of business sale.

13-Jan-18
My favorite go to archery shop is A1 archery in Hudson. There are great shops in the area I live also. Mouldy's, Todd's Pro Shop, and Scheels.

13-Jan-18
I will give a shout out to a few.... Upnorth - I have been to your place, it is pretty cool,,,,

J's Archery in Antigo is excellent, and they also sell Trad bows,,,, or will get what you need,,,,,,,

Bucks and Bulls ( Mikes store), bought my tacta cam there real nice shop

Northwoods Outfitters, Iron Mountain MI, classy place, nice guy......

Hard Core Outfitters - Iron Mountain (Mike Pettelier place from Hard Core Pursuit, first class place...............................

and lastly Luckys Bait shop in Iron River MI,,,, there you can sit on an old chair, and watch a 40 year old TV, and shoot the breeze, and she has every bait in the world, and is one in a million,,,, women like that do not exist anymore, quite a character

14-Jan-18
A1,archery in Hudson the last of the pro shops left!

14-Jan-18
A1,archery in Hudson the last of the pro shops left!

14-Jan-18
I do all my own work so order everything from Lancaster's archery . The pro shop's by me suck anyway . Lena Swamps owner Wade is a great guy and it's a pretty good shop but not real close . I still don't trust anyone with my bow's but me .

15-Jan-18
My new go to shop since I moved is Bergey Jewelry & Archery in Fort Atkinson. He is a WBH life member and had been around a long time. His son is a top notch tech for bows. Really nice people. I know what you are saying Swampy. Now that I have moved away from the Poynette club I don't have access to a bow press yet. I do like to do my own work & I hate it when someone picks up my bow and pulls it back. Just anal I guess.

16-Jan-18
Albino if your ever in my neighborhood , your always welcome to use my things .

17-Jan-18
ground hunter, I had Luckys, register my bear and remove the tooth this year. You should've seen her go to work with knife and pliers. LOL Quite a character is an understatement. I'm sure she told you the story of her 550#+ bear. And I'm surprised you could get in that chair. There usually is a Vietnam vet that is in that chair.

17-Jan-18
Thanks Swampy. I don't get that direction as much since they started giving out so many zone C bear tags. Now there is a bait behind every tree. Plus I don't get around as much as I did. If things change I will be there.

• Sitka Gear