Wishedhead 12-Jan-18
Treeline 12-Jan-18
Wishedhead 12-Jan-18
ColoBull 13-Jan-18
Wishedhead 21-Jan-18
Treeline 21-Jan-18
Wishedhead 04-Feb-18
12-Jan-18
Im sorry but this question is not bowhunting related. My boys 17&13 play football all fall and can never get away until the end of october. They some day will join me on bowhunts across the west but for now they have to settle for rifle hunts. My partner and i are drawing unit 49 archery tags this year and are spending 2 weeks thier so we will have some scouting done. My question is- i would like to take them deer and elk hunting in unit 49 third season for 4-5 days this fall and i have never been to this area and was wondering what is the weather like this time of year and could we tent camp? How far down are the animals by then and do they get pushed down to the low country private ground as soon as the guns start blazing? My kids are experienced hunters and boy scouts and are pretty tough kids when it comes to the elements. Just looking to save hunting time by not having to head up and down to low country and moteling it. Fyi we plan on starting our bowhunt in the buffalo peaks area. This is the last year for cheap tags for the oldest one. They should be able to both get buck tags, and one bull tag and one cow tag. For $420 cant pass on the chance for them to be tagged up and have an adventure. Thank you in advance for any help

12-Jan-18
There may be better alternatives. If they have the points to draw 49, they could pull better tags for at least deer somewhere else. 3rd is better than 2nd for elk but still tough.

12-Jan-18
Thier points for deer are 6 and 2. Thier kids and they like targets. An 18” 3 point would turn thier cranks and any legal elk. Just looking to spend a couple weeks bowhunting a new area and then be able to put the bootleather to use for the boys

13-Jan-18
Some of the deer & elk will likely still be there. Some will certainly have been pushed and be seeking sanctuary. The last 2 falls were noticeably warmer than usual. "Winter" didn't really get started until late November. It's Colorado, so you just never know what the weather is going to be like. Expect nights in the 20's, and days in the 30's to 70's, and you won't be too surprised. It might rain, snow 3', or be dry as a bone. A good 4 season tent should hold up. Rig an extra tarp and set it up to partially drop down & provide a steep pitch in case of heavy snow. Best of luck. It WILL be a memorable adventure, regardless. Buffalo Peaks has always looked very appealing.

21-Jan-18
Looked into different options as now my daughter wants to come along and hunt and my wife is coming too to make it a family trip. Looking to book a tresspass fee hunt with blackelk outfitters in unit 17 for deer and elk and stay in walden. They give a nice discount for the kids and the references are very good. Anyone have any experience in this area or outfitter?

21-Jan-18
Don’t know the outfitter, but the area is not bad. You might see some moose and the fishing is pretty good. Walden is definitely a small town. Steamboat is just over the mountain and could be a nice break for the gals.

04-Feb-18
Booked up the kids with black elk outfittrrs deer and elk for third season. Lots of good references. Wifes coming too so were moteling it in walden as she will only spend part of the trip with us. The other time relaxing and hanging in steamboat. Cant imagine if the kids fill up bringing all those animals home. I will have a bull tag somewhere this year too. Should b a great trip

• Sitka Gear