MEATHUNTER 17-Jan-18
ground hunter 17-Jan-18
northbound 17-Jan-18
Bloodtrail 17-Jan-18
Novice 18-Jan-18
RJN 18-Jan-18
13-Jan-18
Watching the latest episode of Outdoor Wisconsin tonight

Curious if anyone wants to get together for a drive in the SE Metro before the end of the month. Might be a good time.

13-Jan-18
I am going to tell you how dumb this show was, and I will tell you why,,,, I have participated in a lot of good deer drives with a big group of organized archers, Never did we do one,, without everyone, wearing blaze orange vests and hats, it was imperative, to know where the others were, when deer started running,,,,,,

Even with a bow, you can not call that arrow back,,,,,, what is the point of the camo? deer do not care, they are being pushed ahead....... the last thing I would do is walk with a loaded cross bow..................... this show never impressed me, as to anyone knowing what they are doing anyway

that is my opinion...... I would do a drive Tweed, but the problem you have, is first, you have to have guys, who know the area, will stay in line, can read a compass, etc,,, which means, you have to pick an area, get to know it, and try it several times......

to tell you the truth, what works best is a small push, maybe only 3 guys doing a nudge and one archer up ahead, heck even 2 guys can move deer to each other.....

If you want to do it, I will participate,,,,,, I was hopeing we were going to hunt today, but never heard back from you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

13-Jan-18
I did not see the archery in the video. Granted I just skimmed through this video but most, if not all were using the shoulder fired, scope sighted weapons.

13-Jan-18
Picture of the mighty Wisconsin archery hunter, embraced by so many former bowhunters.

13-Jan-18
I thought this was a thing of the past. Haven't seen or heard of a good deer drive on a long while. All about sits n not harassing the herd these days. Most would b very angry if u shoot one of "their deer". Basically those were the good old days

13-Jan-18
just found out this pm, the kids as I call them, are driving deer tomorrow, and wanted to know if I could come,,,,,, Here I am at 68, and these twenty year olds, asked me to come hunting,,,, that felt pretty good,,,,, no I told them, tomorrows air will be too cold for me to breathe in tomorrow, but will next year

13-Jan-18
Wasn’t there a reg change back in November that changed the metro season end date to Jan 7th?

13-Jan-18
oforalot......don’t i wish! End the separate muzzleloader season and go back to the way it used to be.

13-Jan-18
The change, if they keep it, happens next season.

13-Jan-18
Count me in if it happens. Weekday or weekend - both work for me if I'm not working. Not much time left!

14-Jan-18
When? Where?

14-Jan-18
Reggie, I got a email from Kleefish, the metro season is going to stay,,,,,, period

14-Jan-18
Sweet! Glad to hear that!

15-Jan-18
"Group hunting is not legal for persons hunting with bows and crossbows" Pg. 22 of the 2017 WI Deer Regulations. Joe

15-Jan-18
^^^^ It's there but I don't understand why. Maybe WBA can work on a change to that law. Anyone know the logic behind that stupid law?

15-Jan-18
^^^ I don't have a problem with deer drives, just keep them out of the archery season. Plenty of time to drive deer during the 9 day gun season, muzzleloader season, late doe season, and holiday hunt (for a good portion of the State). No need to promote this during the "archery" season.

I will be contacting a DNR representative in regard to the WI outdoor video, hopefully he/she will be issuing citations to those involved. Hunters need to know the regs and follow the rules; citations in this instance would serve as a firm reminder of that.

Joe

15-Jan-18
Before you get your boxers in a bunch you might want to look up the definition of "group hunting". Group hunting doesn't mean hunting as a group but pooling tags together and using them whether the tag hold shoots the animal or not.

15-Jan-18
Not upset at all; just do not approve of guys who think they can beat the system/bend the rules/law when actually breaking them. I have seen first-hand that you are interpreting the regulations incorrectly.

Called in a group a 5 crossbow hunters in early November 2017 who were clearly attempting to drive deer. Took a short video of their "drive", immediately reported it to one of our local wardens and watched him issue citations for group hunting to the individuals a few hours later.

Hunting, by means of an organized drive, is considered group hunting regardless of tag pooling or who tags an animal.

15-Jan-18
If legal,(which I believe it is) I see no problem doing it. Its sounds like fun for a late season outing. If I was closer I would probobly participate. I miss the ole days of deer drives. Once again some folks want to tell others how they should or should not hunt. Hunt legal, and have fun, forget what everyone else is doing and consintrate on what you do,not what others do. JMO.

15-Jan-18
hard to believe,,,,, we did it for years, with the dnr checking our tags and licenses, and having good conversation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no deer drives during archery season, why not????

the only archers who tagged deer with all the deer drives I did, was the shooter himself

15-Jan-18
Knowing the regs before contacting the DNR about a TV show is also a useful reminder.

Andy

15-Jan-18
Joefranchise-- sounds like u should b the dnr. It's not illegal unless they pool the tags together. U should re-freshen up on the regs urself????? Looks like a blast from the past. Sure beats the normal sit for hours n see nothing hunts.

15-Jan-18
Ask the dnr themselves the meaning of group hunting. No person may tag a deer for another while bow hunting/ but it's certainly legal to do deer drives while bow hunting. but the person that shoots the animal must have a tag for it. No law against pushing a deer to another hunter no matter the season....

15-Jan-18
^^^ I have a good friend who is a DNR warden. He wrote a handful of group hunting citations during the 2017 bow season for parties doing organized drives with bows and crossbows.

That being said, when I see it I will not hesitate to report it.

15-Jan-18
lot of guys on here pretty butt hurt to find out that driving deer with a crossgun is illegal. if breaking the law is your thing then by all means continue to group "hunt" with a bow or crossbow.

some practice ethical/legal hunting, those who do not are not hunters.

15-Jan-18
Thank you Joe for being a diligent conservationist who is sincerely concerned about our valuable natural resources.

After you report Outdoor Wisconsin and Dan Small, would you give us an update on the outcome?

It might just help clarify things for hunters and some wardens.....

15-Jan-18
I know of no law that states that a group of archers, each with their own valid license, cannot participate in a deer drive. Does that mean that the couple of buddies walking back from their stands who accidentally bumped a deer to another guy still in his stand have broken the law? Ridiculous.

15-Jan-18
As long as all hunters have the proper tags n license and tag only the deer they shoot(not others) -- it's legal to drive deer while archery hunting. It's when u have 1 hunter in stand and he shoots several deer n his or her buddies tag them then it becomes illegal. (Can only pool tags during gun season). Basically the only thing illegal while doing archery drives is when they pool the tags together and don't shoot their own deer (others do for them).......

Joefranchise----Ask ur dnr friend again--- exactly what he wrote the citations for I bet ull b suprised. Group hunting n deer drives r 2 completely different things according to the law. Look and read beyond the rule book and you'll see

15-Jan-18
^^^ I have a good friend who is a DNR warden. He wrote a handful of group hunting citations during the 2017 bow season for parties doing organized drives with bows and crossbows."

Joe-. Perhaps the group was cited by your warden friend because they were also pooling their tags or tagged a deer killed by another bowhunter.

Reading the regulations as written it does not appear that deer drives done by bowhunters is violating the group hunting law.

When you contact the DNR regarding the violations you observed please let us know the out come.

My best,

Kevin

15-Jan-18
Embarrassed to have asked my local Game Warden this but have to put Joe to rest: Hi Amie Question for you.  Can archery deer hunters organize deer drives? (like rifle drives) and as long as the archery shooter who shoots the deer tags it, is there anything illegal about archery deer drives?   Thanks for your time Mike Game Wardens answer: Nothing against it as long as can do as you stated.

15-Jan-18
Could we get the name of the good friend warden? I would like to contact him to clarify.

15-Jan-18
Whom ever he wrote the tickets to should fight back a bit. There Unlawfully written tickets if that's exactly what the citations were for (group hunting). No way they hold up in a court of law. Odds say the citation were for not having proper license or tagging for others.

15-Jan-18
MF certainly not put to rest.

I've had this discussion with this friend on a number of occasions and, again, have seen it first hand. It comes down to a simple line of questioning by the WDNR warden. The instance I was involved in the tag holder shot a deer and tagged it for himself. When questioned he let the DNR officer know that he planned on sharing the meat within his group thus crossing it over the line to group hunting. If you are sharing the meat your intent was not to kill the deer for yourself but for yourself and other individuals in your group.

The instances my friend issued citations were very similar.

So those in this thread looking for a loophole as to a legal means of group hunting during the "archery" season have found one. However, how many guys don't share even a small portion of the meat when completing a successful deer drive?

15-Jan-18
Meathunter, it is simply how the law is interpreted; one warden can understandably interpret this different than another (one sees intent, the other does not). Those receiving citations are certainly free to fight them in court.

15-Jan-18
Oh boy....jeeze.....got me really wringing my hands here. So....I can't share venison with anyone? Going to have to call Chip and Bill and let them know I'll need those roasts back.

15-Jan-18
JoeF- I can't figure out if your being serious or joking. Where do you guys come up with this stuff. Lol

15-Jan-18
If I understand you right Joe... it might not be against the law its just how the GW interprets it at that time and place. Joe, with all do respect someone has slipped a mickey in your drink. I cant follow this thread anymore!

15-Jan-18
Wow. Ridicolous . Never hold up in court- regardless.

Me thinks someone doesn't like deer drives.... and is stretching.

Definelty not even close to the intent of group hunting regs. - only difference for archery vs gun would be pooling tags.

15-Jan-18
"When questioned he let the DNR officer know that he planned on sharing the meat within his group thus crossing it over the line to group hunting. If you are sharing the meat your intent was not to kill the deer for yourself but for yourself and other individuals in your group."

Joe, let your warden buddy in a little known secret. There are a bunch of food pantries and donation groups who have been receiving illegal venison for quite some time.

15-Jan-18
So is it a bunch of poachers looking for a loop hole or is it based on the interpretation of the GW?

Is it a GW in Marathon county? Would be really great to reach out to someone in authority in the locality of your friend so we can all get clarification.

15-Jan-18
"If I understand you right Joe... it might not be against the law its just how the GW interprets it at that time and place. Joe, with all do respect someone has slipped a mickey in your drink. I cant follow this thread anymore!"

MF +1

Joe = Troll

15-Jan-18
JF-How GW interpretates it?! Sharing meat?!?!.... I'm at a loss for words. kinda funny actually

15-Jan-18
At least we got to the point---- IT IS LEGAL to organize deer dives while archery hunting............

15-Jan-18
Ok, I'm back in.

15-Jan-18
well I was a court officer for awhile, and I say your information is BS,,,,, and if its true, the warden was an idiot,,,, but I doubt it anyway,,,, The wardens I have worked with for over 30 years, would never make that interpretation, come on man

16-Jan-18
When and where?

16-Jan-18
The only place in WI that I know archery deer drives to be illegal is Fort McCoy and that is only for the early season. After gun season archery Deer drives are legal on the property.

16-Jan-18

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo
On a Happier note: What about that Viking game...SKOL!

16-Jan-18
Now we know where the singing fat lady came from..... Minnesota.

17-Jan-18
It is LEGAL without a doubt to get a group of people together and drive deer, seeing that all members have a valid license.

Any foolishness regarding it being illegal is Bullcrap -

It doesn't matter WHAT the hunter's intent is. He can share his legally shot deer with anyone.....ANYONE he pleases to do so!

Group bagging by definition is the act of someone in your hunting party during gun season, that HAS A VALID LICENSE and is within "visual or hearing (vocal) range" having the ability to fill a tag for another person! PERIOD.

After you LEGALLY harvest a deer with a bow and/or crossbow on a deer drive - your intent (other than leaving it rot - which would constitute a violation of "waste of a natural resource") does NOT matter!

I challenge ANYONE to provide me with a copy of the law that prohibits a legally licensed hunter to shoot a deer with a bow or crossbow and then share it with the parties in his/her group!

I'm waiting.....

17-Jan-18
Joe says: "lot of guys on here pretty butt hurt to find out that driving deer with a crossgun is illegal. if breaking the law is your thing then by all means continue to group "hunt" with a bow or crossbow. some practice ethical/legal hunting, those who do not are not hunters."

You cannot make this stuff up!

Unbelievable......

17-Jan-18
Where you been a BT!? Been waiting for you to weigh in.

Thanks for the response.

17-Jan-18
Kind of why I posted the Vikings win comment, bump the thread to top..... still waiting to hear from this Joe guy again.

17-Jan-18
The Vikings suck

17-Jan-18
Of coarse they do if your a Packer fan!

17-Jan-18
VIKINGS #1/ Rulers of the north. Packers suck.

That was a great game. BUT 2 me beating the Packers is more enjoyable------N boy did we get um this year.. 1st game= butt whooping 2nd game=SHUTOUT VIKINGS #1

17-Jan-18
This Joe guy gave up on this thread cuz so many r riding his ***....

17-Jan-18
I think he is a anti hunter just wanting to stir the pot!

17-Jan-18
Mf--agreed...An Anti-hunter with no knowledge of the law. What ya no.!!!

17-Jan-18
Meathunter- The Packers have beat the queens 60 games and loss 53. The Pack has 4 rings, how many do the queens have?

17-Jan-18
RJN - yes 4 Superbowl rings but also have won 13 NFL championships.

Joe is probably a Lions fan.

17-Jan-18
You guys are hilarious. Why don't you come over for dinner of venison and get your ticket. I hate the viqueens even more than da bears now.

17-Jan-18
Typical packer fans-----we got this many n u got how many!!!LMFAO. Like kids fighting over candy. MA he's got more than me.

17-Jan-18
Typical queens fan, doesn't want to accept the facts. I actually like Keenum as he seems like a normal guy. With that said, go EAGLES!!

17-Jan-18
Although I dislike the Packers (just football rivalry) I cheered them on in there last Super bowl win. Wouldn't with the bears though!

17-Jan-18
A guy ain't careful he could break his collarbone playing that nasty game..

17-Jan-18
The only fact the I'll except is that the the Packers suck. With that said, go VIKINGS!!

17-Jan-18
I like the Vikings quarterback, regular guy,,,,, I think they suck, but I hope they beat the eagles who suck even more............ ha ha ha

17-Jan-18
This is why I do my 'illegal' deer drives during packer games... no one watches what happens in the woods when football is on :)

17-Jan-18
Tweed - Just been flying my birds a lot! So tired at the end of the day - I'm out!

As far as Joe goes - I'm sure he realizes he made a mistake and perhaps is a bit embarrassed. I'm thinking perhaps he wont answer back...

18-Jan-18

Novice's Link
Here's something to ponder for your Packers Viqueens pissing match.

18-Jan-18
Now I have yet another reason I like Crosby!

• Sitka Gear