TT-Pi 14-Jan-18
lunker 14-Jan-18
TT-Pi 14-Jan-18
PublicLandHunter 14-Jan-18
TT-Pi 14-Jan-18
PublicLandHunter 14-Jan-18
TT-Pi 14-Jan-18
13-Jan-18
While watching a video of two bucks fighting with my daughter, I was reflecting on the past season and the time I heard a battle from my tree stand. Didn't see it, but definitely heard it for 15 minutes. In the videos, they seem very focused and distracted.

So, the question is, is it a good idea to try and still hunt towards the fight in the hopes that their battle will help mask your approach? I considered it during shotgun season, but tried to lure them in with some calls instead. No luck. Has anyone tried this and if so, had success?

13-Jan-18
At that point, is a buck so distracted with other bucks and does that calling is futile? Any other wisdom on during/post battle hunting? Seems like a great opportunity if found, but if you are in a stand hundreds of yards away it is just a cool form of torture.

13-Jan-18
id certainly try it if i was lucky enough to hear that!

13-Jan-18
I'd try it And I'd even go as far as to approach quickly and without a concern for noise, especially if I could remain out of sight from them. Hunters sneak, other deer barge in or run away. Might as well close the gap quick.

13-Jan-18
That's what I was thinking, but I let conventional tactics and knowledge keep me from being flexible and taking a chance. Also I knew other hunters were out that day, and it would have been awkward sneaking up on a guy banging some antlers together. Did that during turkey season once. Gobbled back and forth with a guy for an hour before we realized each other weren't turkeys.

13-Jan-18
I would with a firearm, no doubt they're pre-occupied.

13-Jan-18
I think I did this with my green can call this year. About 5 minutes of light left, and I got into an "exchange" of some sort with a creature that sounded exactly like a my can call, down over the hill. Never saw him. Either my can call is the perfect imitation of a deer, or it was another guy.

13-Jan-18
Saw that same video that I think you're talking about, and from what I saw I would have been afraid to get too close.

13-Jan-18
Absolutely , charge in . There is nothing to lose. I would run up to them as quickly as possible ,without any great concern for noise. They are fully engaged and distracted. Fire away .

Of course if you charge in and find that its a hunter slamming away at the sticks then you could always snort wheeze and stomp your foot at him when he notices you...

13-Jan-18
Pi, good advice. That's about the only response to another hunter luring me in.

14-Jan-18
That would be a funny story . But if it really was two bucks it would be a great moment ... but not for them .

14-Jan-18
Apparently my registration is a little out of whack . TT-Pi or just Pi . Same person.

14-Jan-18
i say alter ego

14-Jan-18
Nope , just one big fat ego for me.

Wait ,wait , the voices are talking ... We voted and we all agree . No alter Ego ! ... just multiple personalities and a well run Democracy.

14-Jan-18
Hind Sight is 20/20. First time I heard a fight in 20yrs hunting, and might be another 20 before I encounter it again. I was curious if anyone else turned it into success, but I guess the experience is rare. I will definitely try it should there be a next time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum TT-Pi.

14-Jan-18
Thank you just the same Publiclandhunter but it is just me Pi. I had to re-register after a computer fart and it was blocking my former handle. Maybe I can get it back to the short version but for now its TT-Pi . = Pi

14-Jan-18
I would have never guessed. The TT really fooled me.

14-Jan-18
I learned it in spy school. Cool hu ?

• Sitka Gear