Amoebus 19-Jan-18
MuskyBuck 19-Jan-18
Drop Tine 19-Jan-18
WausauDug 19-Jan-18
huntnfish43 20-Jan-18
RutnStrut 20-Jan-18
13-Jan-18
Long but thought provoking.

What has happened in the last few years concerning the wolf population growth has been polarizing.

I feel that the biggest aspect that each side needs to understand is that our forefathers tried to extirpate the wolf. Good or bad, they did it.

The period of no wolf population was quite a span of time. Farms sprung up, cattle, you name it forged a living in a wolf-free environment. Why would they not expand, times were good and there was no threat.

Now, pro-wolf says "wolves were hear first" (imagine that statement coming from Dane County LOL). The pro-wolf people expect landowners to retreat, discontinue livestock production, or put in place non-lethal measures.

The bigger question is, what benefit do wolves provide now that many area of the north are settled and many areas are no longer wilderness? Is it worth having wolves to control "the weak, the sick, the injured" animals (I know cliche'). Must wolves re-establish all former haunts (includes land where the suburbs of Chicago are now by the way).

What is the answer? Who should be footing the bill?

Isn't the easy answer to manage the population and let the population of wolves settle where they can, much like bobcats are managed today? Granted bobcats are solitary, while wolves are pack-like.

Something has to change. WI is not like it was 100 years ago, and population of humans will not stop. Is it fair to wolves to have manipulated areas where they fear nothing? Is it fair to folks in the north forging a living, having to apply all the measures of protecting their animals?

Who truly was "first"?

There is precedence that shows limited hunting and trapping of wolves is sustainable...many areas.

Why can't there be wolf management? How can you possibly allow wolves to continue to expand and seek niche environments when they are no longer available?

This is just one big experiment. Unfortunately it is currently one-sided and the side that suffers, is the side immersed in habitat no longer capable of sustaining a wolf population that is not managed. Those being forced to accept wolves are the ones losing money. Imagine income lost due to the loss of deer hunting alone! Yep, one big experiment. I think you know where am going with that.

13-Jan-18
Unfortunately, much of the general and voting public could care less about ranchers, farmers and their livestock, all are evil to them. Even fewer voters care about a bunch of hunters running around in the woods in search of the big buck. The wolves to them, means less of you.

13-Jan-18
Reintroduce wolf packs to Will, Du Page and Kane counties in IL and see how fast support changes even in Wisconsin.

13-Jan-18
here is another observation,,, if I get the chance to trap a wolf, I would like a dna test on it,,,, I do not believe they are the eastern grey wolf, the wolf that I had a stare down with, was a true Canadian timber wolf, big and black,,,, and I have seen them in Canada many times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I remember when it started, and all the PC sportsmen said, well give em a chance and 350 is doable,,,, I listened to Adrian Wydeven continue with his lie etc,,,, the whole program was a joke

13-Jan-18

Jeff in MN's Link
$2,275,615 is how much taxpayers have paid out for farm animals and dogs that have been confirmed to be killed by wolfs. Details are in the link. The data also does not include farm animals and dogs that were killed by wolf but for whatever reason could not be confirmed to be a wolf kill.

That is just in Wisconsin. Nobody knows how many wild critters have been killed and how that affected the economy in the areas affected.

Treefarm hit the mark on this: "Our forefathers tried to extirpate the wolf. Good or bad, they did it." I will add they did it for good reasons.

I wonder how many wolf that the feds or our dnr trap to relocate, dispatch, or pick up as road kills, or get their hands on for any reason get DNA tested. I would like to see the data on those, specifically how that DNA relates to the DNA that was in the wolf that our ancestors exterminated.

Did the wolf that were harvested by hunters and trappers have their DNA tested?

13-Jan-18
Tweed....the Illinois DNR does what the wolves would of done. A few years back they almost completely wiped out the deer herds in the counties north of the ones mentioned. We could use some Wolf herds in certain neighborhoods in Chitcongo.

14-Jan-18
The state needs money. They clearly adjusted some recent laws to gain a few more dollars. I dont understand why elected leaders aren't fighting this harder on a federal level since it was apparent it was such a hot $$ maker for the opportunity to harvest a animal that can be managed.

14-Jan-18
I just got an email from one of the legislators asking that I "tell the governor of Oregon" to stop the wolf hunt."All wolves are precious" I answered that in no circumstances would I "tell the governor in Oregon" anything and that I feel their (legislators) efforts would better spent in Wisconsin....

14-Jan-18
LC- was that from a prowolf group?

14-Jan-18
Be interesting to know which legislator.

14-Jan-18
YES.... Lame crowndip please post the name and copy and past the email.

14-Jan-18
My mistake...it was an activist group that at first glance looked like it was from a legislator....

14-Jan-18
Hmmmmmmm I figured that something wasn't correct.

14-Jan-18
Treefarm, well spoken. The vast areas wolves cherish does not exist in urbanized Northern and Central Wisconsin. Its a daily conflict for wolf vs man.

14-Jan-18

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo

14-Jan-18

14-Jan-18

14-Jan-18
Took these a few years back,,,,,, I have many more...

14-Jan-18
Jeff - I trapped a wolf second to the last season. After turning in the carcass I wrote and asked for the age, litters she had, etc. only to be told that was more or less privileged information, you're not getting it I was told. We had quite a go round, but to no avail.

14-Jan-18
All wolf data collected by the state or feds should be public information just like the dollars paid to farmers and dog owners. Time to check if that is still the policy and do something about it. Maybe access to that information should be included in this new bill.

14-Jan-18
Should all fall under open records doctrine.

14-Jan-18
Drop Tine- you make a good point and could be onto something.

Hoot (or anyone else that had sent a wolf in) -would you be willing to file an open records request? If denied, possibly lobby a prohunter organization to litigate it?

14-Jan-18
real wolf info, from the dnr has become government secrets now i guess. About 10yrs ago I easily found dnr wolf pack info. for Bayfiled county online. It was scanned in on typed yellowed pages that had the packs listed by area like the "rainbow flowage pack" etc. and by year since intro. of 1978 or '79? I think the wolves were all named by number or at least the alpha bitch was since she was having the litters and most important. I wanted to print the info. off and bring to camp for all to read since it was very interesting . And by the late 80's we actual saw a wolf in the woods and watch their number grow. Anyways my printer didn't work for whatever reason and the next time I tried to find it and print the info. was gone.

15-Jan-18
Tweed - Open records never occurred to me. Not too worried about it anymore. My main objective was completed by taking a wolf off the landscape.

15-Jan-18
Its interesting how the State asks for our help, turn in poachers, grouse drumming count, bear tooth extraction, other animals etc but when it comes to the Wolves, hush is the word.

17-Jan-18
Maybe open records on wolf pack locations may not be so good. If we can see it so can the radical wolf lovers which could make it easier for them to harass the hunters/trappers by being able to know potential areas we might be hunting or trapping at. I see no down side to anyone being able to access wolf DNA information. (current DNA compared to the DNA of the historical wolf dna that we have supposedly re-introduced)

17-Jan-18
It's interesting to note that the 1999 Wolf Management Plan stated that the biological carrying capacity of WI was 500 wolves (well above the stated management goal). The biological carrying capacity was surpasses already by 2007, just eight years into the plan. That same year an addendum to the plan made a few changes, but the carrying capacity and management goals were not changed.

So when we finally got around to a wolf season in 2012, why the low quotas on harvest when any good biologist takes carrying capacity seriously. When deer exceed the carrying capacity in the north, we've seen what the DNR (and some willing hunters) did to them. Double Standard!

So why did the DNR set their management goal so low (350 wolves) and biological carrying capacity so low?? Was it sound biology or was it sand bagging because they knew presenting lower numbers would be more conducive to gaining public support of the reintroduction?

I used to track the packs in Bayfield County and was especially interested in the Flag River Pack since that is the area I hunt. I even had a pleasant email exchange with Adrian W. It was always interesting to learn about the details of this and other packs in the area, but like WausauDoug said, that information is not out there any more. The only information now available to the public is very general and not pack specific. Good wolf information seemed end about 2012-2013. That's around the time of the first wolf season. Hmm...As other posters have stated, there should be no reason to keep this data from the public unless they are protecting or covering up something like how many wolves are really on the Wisconsin landscape.

17-Jan-18
"So why did the DNR set their management goal so low (350 wolves) and biological carrying capacity so low?? Was it sound biology or was it sand bagging because they knew presenting lower numbers would be more conducive to gaining public support of the reintroduction?"

As I remember it was done in conjunction with Feds removing wolves from Endangered Species list. States had to demonstrate they could have control of the system to ensure wolf populations did not dip too low. If too much SSS happens, or State management (SB602 / AB712 wolf bills) does not demonstrate cooperation and control to ensure a minimum wolf population .... then wolves will likely remain on the endangered species list ... thus prolonging a legitimate hunting season. These State bills just provide ammunition to the pro wolf crowd, making it even harder to reinstate a legal wolf season.

17-Jan-18
If the plan states biological carrying capacity is 500 wolves and your wolf population greatly exceeds that number by a factor of 2X, 3X or more for more than a decade; that is the definition of demonstrating no communication or control of a population. That is reckless and compromises not just the wolf/deer dynamic, but many other mammals in the ecosystem, as well as public safety.

Is there any evidence that state wildlife officials worked proactively and asked for assistance with Feds in managing the wolves? As a biologist/scientist, wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to manage a resource and use all tools at your disposal according to the plan to maintain balance in the ecosystem? That is assuming the management plan is valid and you believe it is because it was drafted from good scientific principles and research.

17-Jan-18
worked in Idaho..................

19-Jan-18
I always found it strange that Wisconsin DNR has spent considerable time and money to re-establish a viable Elk herd while allowing wolf numbers to expand unchecked.

19-Jan-18
Awesome point Cobra.

19-Jan-18
that was brought up when they first were introduced,,,, they said, they can "Coexist" even had the bumper sticker on the DNR truck

19-Jan-18
Cobra - it isn't the WI (or MN or MI) DNR that has stopped the wolf hunts.

19-Jan-18
However....DNR showed little interest during the three wolf seasons in significantly reducing wolf population with measly quotas. The seasons shut down quickly as quotas filled indicative of some really skilled hunters/trappers and/or a lot more wolves than their estimates.

19-Jan-18
Just a liberal California federal judge.

19-Jan-18
i remember that "coexist" thing. Funny, i always thought how do they know this can be done? We sure know now how trying to sustain / grow both populations works out now

20-Jan-18
Interesting as I have heard the following used many times.

"If passed, this legislation would only delay the process of wolf delisting and invite additional litigation".

Spoken by Jodi Habush Sinykin, a rabid anti hunting radical left wing environmentalists who lead the legal challenge to stop the wolf hunt in federal court, and parroted by so many of the Bowsite faithful.

It begs the question what are the antis afraid of ? Why would the radical leftist who have fought tooth and nail at every turn for decades against delisting wolves suddenly be concerned that this legislation would delay the very thing they are fighting against? Why is this legislation causing such great consternation among the Humane Society types, that delisting and a hunting season would be delayed? I scratch my head in wonderment?

Its a sad day when some hunting community stand in lock step, arm and arm with the radical leftist anti hunting environmentalist parroting their every word.

HF43

20-Jan-18
If only the DNR counted deer the way they do wolves.

• Sitka Gear