Africa bowhunt 22-Jan-18
Hoot 22-Jan-18
MF 22-Jan-18
Trapper 22-Jan-18
Africa bowhunt 22-Jan-18
Hoot 22-Jan-18
dkbs 31-Jan-18
14-Jan-18
For xmas I got my first trail camera, a primos proof 2. So yesterday I put it out where I hunt. Today, these big lazy snowflakes are slowly drifting to the ground. Will these trigger it?

PS. its 30 miles away, so I will leave it for several weeks. Taking just photos on a 32 gb card.

14-Jan-18
I have bushnells, I have more of a problem with high wind blowing branches. It is usually on my older cams also. Newer ones seem way smarter

14-Jan-18
On my brownings it doesn’t with snow. But wind blown branches will.

14-Jan-18
With a 32 gb card you can leave it out a long time. Battery life in the cold weather might be an issue. Let us know how it works for you.

14-Jan-18
Yes the snow doesn't usually trigger my cams but as said blowing branches and if you put the cam on a smaller tree that moves with the wind it will trigger. I have 26 cams of various brands and all have their own issues. They are all cheaper cams $150.00 and under.

15-Jan-18
As others stated, windy branches or grass are problems, especially with leaves on. Never had a issue with snow.

15-Jan-18
No issue with snow here either, but branches and tall grass is a whole other story.

15-Jan-18
My only issue with snow is the lens or sensor getting covered.

21-Jan-18
If you have a Scheels near by they close out last years Browning units until they are gone. I bought one that was reg $180 for $120. They have another one that's reg $140 for $100. I have Brownings, Moultrie and Stealth. The Stealth is JUNK. Works but takes CRAPPY pics and videos. I've had the best luck with Brownings.

22-Jan-18

Africa bowhunt's embedded Photo
We use mainly spypoint and Bushnell the see to work great ,we just have trouble keeping the elephants and brown hyenas from destroying them , today is operation salvage trailcam

22-Jan-18

22-Jan-18
How are the hyenas and elephants noticing the cameras?

22-Jan-18
With the elephants we recon its the human smell that stays on the camera when you set it up and they are very inquisitive , with the baits we put out for hyenas the cameras are sometimes set up low and seems to be a cool chewtoy for the hyaenas

22-Jan-18
Africa - How come you don't use bear safes to at least give some protection for the cameras?

22-Jan-18
Awesome question Hoot....

22-Jan-18
I don't know who suggested to me but I want to give them credit, I drove a number of sheet metal screws from the inside, out on my bear boxes, they kind of resembled porcupines when I was done. No bear damage this year, which was first for me. Was that you Hoot?

22-Jan-18
We are looking into Getting some bear boxes this year , I like the idea with the screws that would keep most trouble makers away from the cameras

22-Jan-18
Trapper - Not me, but I do shoot a chunk of plywood full of nails to lay in front of my bait shed door at night. Works like a charm.

31-Jan-18
I retrieved my camera today, after 18 days. I have about a half dozen photos with nothing in them except a few giant snowflakes on the second day they were out. The camera took 59 photos, 10 deer (one a little buck), a hen turkey and three coyotes(at night) . None of the photos were anything special. I did have a branch that caused some glare at night, operator error, I'll pay better attention next time.

• Sitka Gear