Will 05-Mar-18
Come november 05-Mar-18
Moons22 05-Mar-18
smokey 10-Mar-18
BQP 10-Mar-18
15-Jan-18

Ungie01201's embedded Photo
Ungie01201's embedded Photo
Went for a long walk yesterday afternoon behind my house looking for sheds... nothing.. walk back down to the house and find this one literally in my backyard. Not a big one, but was fun to find in yard. Anyone else found any?

15-Jan-18
Been looking, havent found any. Thats a strange place to find one, with no brush to knock it off.

15-Jan-18
pretty cool.never found one.not sure where to look. thickets?

15-Jan-18
I followed all of their runs through the pines, etc... didn't find a thing. I have pics of several bucks w/ one side then missing both... but I can't find them! lol

15-Jan-18
Never been she'd hunting. Guessing it's pretty simple. Walk deer trails and hope you see them. Thicker stuff knocks them off faster. Any other tips besides the obvious?

15-Jan-18
I don't find many ever... so i'm the last one to ask for advise! lol I just found it ironic after my long walk I find it right there so close to house...

15-Jan-18
so cool unqie

15-Jan-18
I've not been out yet... just been busy. I think SevOne found the shed's of his mega giant which is pretty amazing. I've heard of many others finding them thus far.

Public, Im not awesome at it... but in my experience, the places to look are:

1.) well fed areas on SW slopes or adjacent to them. 2.) Areas clearly being used for winter habitat - hemlock groves etc... Those are best when immediately adjacent to number 1 above. 3.) stone wall crossings or stream crossings - both may cause a little hop/jump which can help cause the antler to detach. 4.) ledges. not all over the ledge, but a few areas I have found them were where deer funneled through a steep, but earthen area in a ledge. For example - ledge to the north (vertical or to rough to travel), and ledge to the south, but a little funnel or steep, but passable earthen terrain in the middle. That spot becomes a funnel, but, just like us when going down something steep, we tend to "run out" the bottom or at least let the speed roll a bit to smoothly finish the descent. Deer do the same, and that pickup seems to result in dropped sheds too - especially if it's near a SW slope with good feeding and maybe thermal cover (hemlocks etc).

You can see though, the biggest common theme is SW slope (warm) and food... followed closely by thermal/winter cover like a hemlock grove. You find a spot like that, then canvas that thing. Also, go with binos. Ill walk 10 feet, then scan everything with binos, then repeat. At least in a "good" looking spot. Amazing how often you will find em with binos doing that vs just looking with your eyes.

Some folks also feel that cloudy day's are better. it reduces glare, and antlers, while similar in shape to sticks... there's just a color about them that is not "stick like" and once you see one, you see others a lot easier.

One thing... If you are in an area with good deer density it's a lot easier, in general. That said, my best day ever was 6 at one time, and that was Z6... So if you hit the right spot, and the right luck, it's great. But overall, Z9 East is better given, just like hunting, your odds go up with more deer around.

Will

15-Jan-18

jm255's embedded Photo
Found a pair in my yard too after riding the quads around in the woods!
jm255's embedded Photo
Found a pair in my yard too after riding the quads around in the woods!

15-Jan-18
Will, thanks for all the tips. Got to try it out.

15-Jan-18
Another place to look closely is around big logs that go across well used runs. I've found 3 that came off after a deer hopped over a log. It's like still hunting - you don't look for a whole deer standing broadside, you look for a piece of a deer. Same with this. Keep your eye out for a tine, a main beam, or just anything that's the color of antler. Tough out my way with all the damn mountain laurels coming out of the ground, they are all the shape of antlers.

16-Jan-18
checked cam yesterday and one of the nice 8s still had his headgear as of Sat PM. the big boy has shed both. Gonna keep looking. Getting snow tonight, so probably gonna have to wait till next thaw.

16-Jan-18
I prefer to find them in November while still attached to deer.

16-Jan-18

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
found this guy in his bed today... not the sheds I was looking for. Died in 2016 as far as I can tell. there was a second skeleton in the same bed with no head. 6 scrapes within 50 yards. definitely a sanctuary spot. Z11 public

16-Jan-18

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo

16-Jan-18
Cougar, those antlers are in great shape for being over a year old... nice find... too bad though.. nice buck.

16-Jan-18
yea ive found others that the mice and rodents have chewed down pretty well. not a nibble on these. ribs and spine where still there and curled up where he died. A second full spine was right next to him, maybe 3 or 4 feet away. same size as his. never seen anything like it

17-Jan-18
Cool find Cougar. Bummer, but still cool to find.

Took a little walk yesterday, saw a lot of sign, but found no sheds.

19-Jan-18

sneakin&peakin's embedded Photo
Found one fresh one and one from last year with the help of my buddy. I never really trained him but every once in awhile he starts jumping around in circles whining and when i walk over he shows me, now he sits for treats after so maybe he is catching on. Funny thing is he really has no interest in the back yard I have tried training sessions with no luck, oh well if it works it works.

19-Jan-18
Nice, only problem with my dog is he doesnt give them to me when he finds them. they make for long lasting chew toys thou.

19-Jan-18
My dog is in love w/ the shed I found the other day... had a nice 8 in the yard.. still has his headgear.

19-Jan-18
love that dog. just like my old Springer.

20-Jan-18
how are the ticks now in high percentage areas? safe for untreated clothing i wonder? be nice to find some sheds.

24-Jan-18
There is a science to it and where to look, the deer densities are much lower here so the chances of finding them are lower. I usually find like 8 or 9 a year but in my spots in NJ. It is tough, you can go for miles upon miles without finding one. Now is too early for me thou, I usually start end of february, early March. I also scout during this time for next years spots!! Bedding areas produce the most sheds, but really they can fall off anywhere. Find where the bucks go in the winter and you will find sheds.

24-Jan-18
Bigsev - I took a walk about a week ago and with almost no snow, I didnt get any ticks on me. And I was untreated...

24-Jan-18
Bigsev, they can be active when the temperature climbs above freezing . ( you know those nice surprise winter days. ) If it is below freezing there should be no activity but always do a full check anyway . I think we should have an outer layer of clothing that is treated and kept in a garbage bag ... Take off before going into car or home.

I am trying to be more disciplined in this but have been very vigilante in full check . Treat one dedicated "woods outfit" and reduce the chances . Or wait for deep cold ... why not take the extra step as a good habit for most of the year.

24-Jan-18
wow! speak of the devil!!! just got back,4 minutes in had 2 on me. turned and got out. def pemethrin always from now on! like you said, bag in car.

24-Jan-18

Southpaw's embedded Photo
West granville
Southpaw's embedded Photo
West granville
She's very lucky

24-Jan-18
nice!

30-Jan-18

huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
Anyone having luck finding sheds? I checked a cam last week and this brute had dropped his head gear by early January. I spent half a day scouting and looking for his sheds the other day, but no dice. Unfortunately, some critter had chewed on the camera strap and yanked it out of position, so I've got a few months of pictures 2 feet off the ground.

30-Jan-18

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
They still have horns one day to go lol

30-Jan-18

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
3 days ago

30-Jan-18
That's awesome to find a moose antler! I've tried for about 20 years, and despite looking in areas with plenty of moose, never have found one. Very cool - congrats to her. I know guys finding them, but so far, I've found none this year.

03-Feb-18
More people give up shed hunting than continue lol. But if you are into it, it is a great way to loose weight for getting your beach body ready!

08-Feb-18
are they dropping yet !? anybody !?

08-Feb-18
I've had no luck, but I know several guys who have found many so far - and not generalized to one region, pretty much throughout the state.

08-Feb-18
I found two this year but from last year.

09-Feb-18
I have been out searching 2 times about 4-5 hours each time. Only shed I have found was in December. I would imagine the drop very soon.

09-Feb-18
Found a fresh shed and a year old today in a known buck bedding area!

10-Feb-18
cougar curious to hear what u think happened there . 2 bodies same spot cant hardly figure a story line for that,and ive tried

10-Feb-18
i'd say its a spot routinely used by bucks, sets up as secure with thick briars guarding everything except the deer trails in and out, a 12 to 15 foot wide brook barrier to the west, multiple escape routes, visibility downwind. Literally perfect and down wind of 2 doe bedding areas w/ a W NW wind... SO my hunch is that bucks feel safe to lay there when they are old, injured from a hunter or a fight and ended up not getting up. the head I found was 2 years old, and I'd say the other skeleton was slightly older 3 or 4 yrs maybe. there were 6 or 8 fresh scrapes within 35 yards of the bed from this year. needless to say I'll be back ;)

10-Feb-18
wow good luck !

10-Feb-18
its an overlooked public spot. the trail in goes down across said brook and basically no one "hunts" until they get to the other side...

11-Feb-18
Went out for a walk today (Sunday 02/11) in the rain. Snuck up on three deer. Two were bald while one sported a nice 10-point rack. I believe they were all bucks as I got quite close in the heavy rain and had them all stand and give me a good look before they ran. I tracked them for awhile hoping the 10-point might drop antlers while running. Also walked the entire area. No luck.

11-Feb-18
i also did a mile or two in the rain... no shed luck. found an OLD femur, saccrum and three vertabrae yesterday on an old logging trail. found 1 buck bed and a couple worn down beds that I believe are doe beds based on topography and dropping size. pains me to know some bucks haven't dropped yet but i figure you have to get out when you have the time to get out.

12-Feb-18

TexBow's embedded Photo
TexBow's embedded Photo
TexBow's embedded Photo
TexBow's embedded Photo
Found 4 brown antlers this past week walking a few of my spots. Seems like they just started dropping, as all of these had hair. Had the nice bonus of finding my first match set as well!

16-Feb-18
So I popped my first shed hunting cherry today. Hiked every rock wall, wire fence, and hedge row I know at oxbow. I found something interesting. None of the deer there have shed their antlers. It's the only explanation for why I didn't find anything. I checked every wall, fence, hedge, thicket, and trail I know there, so it's the only explanation I can think of.

17-Feb-18
i did 6 miles thurs rocks hills swamps south facing sloaps bedding .ya there still holding over thare or bigfoot ate em

17-Feb-18
bucks hold em as long as their testosterone levels stay up... so if theres a couple unbred yearlings around or the bucks are really healthy / not worn down from rut / easy winter / good food options

05-Mar-18

BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo
Got on the board for the year yesterday evening. Just a quick walk with the dog up the street. It’s an old shed. Found 10ft from a public walking trail just on the other side of a stonewall and about 100ft from a field.

05-Mar-18
Nice finds guys! I'm seeing a lot of guys on facebook finding em, but it sure does seem location focused. My fav Z6 areas usually see them dropping right before or after xmas... My current fav Z9 spot, I dont think they drop them. I think they stay on their heads all winter and magically disappear in April when the new ones start :)

05-Mar-18

Come november's embedded Photo
Come november's embedded Photo

05-Mar-18
Very nice shed CN! What do you think it would score?

10-Mar-18

smokey's embedded Photo
smokey's embedded Photo
A lucky find last week. A first for me.

10-Mar-18
awesome find! pup help with that at all? those mass sheds? this darn snow has put a damper on shed hunting...

• Sitka Gear