Heartshot 15-Jan-18
>>---CTCrow---> 15-Jan-18
notme 15-Jan-18
SILVERADO 15-Jan-18
Tall 1 15-Jan-18
spikehorn 15-Jan-18
Richm444 17-Jan-18
15-Jan-18
I had to use USDA inspected meat so I used chuck roast instead of deer shank. 11 entries at the Bridgewater Grange contest - I missed first place by only a few votes to a professional chef and 3rd place was a pro chef too This is how I made this batch - recipe

Ingredients: 1. 3.5 pounds chuck roast 2. .5 pounds bacon 3. 3-5 cloves garlic 4. One large onion 5. 2 green bell peppers 6. 1 red bell pepper 7. 3 TBS chili powfer 8. 1.5 TSP red cayenne pepper 9. 2 TBS brown sugar 10. 1 TBS Worsteshire sauce 11. 2 Bay Leaves 12. Two 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes

Process:

1. Cut up chuck roast into half inch cubes 2. Chop up onions and peppers and garlic and bacon 3. Cook bacon to get enough rendering to saute the onions and garlic until translucent- do not caramelize the onions 4. Raise to heat to high and throw in all the meat - cook 5 to 8 minutes until meat is browned. 5. Place the meat onions and garlic with all other ingredients into a crock pot at low heat- cook 6 to 8 hours on low setting. 6. Skim any excess oil that rises to the surface

Options: add in beans at the end - last half hour add cumin or liquid smoke adjust cayenne or sugar quantity to taste add in jalapeno or Serrano peppers substitute or add in peeled tomatoes my original recipe uses venison shank meat which is like shoe leather - if you use that then time should be 8 hours add bell peppers later in the process to preserve more color

15-Jan-18
Congrats, sounds yummy and thanks for sharing.

15-Jan-18
Congrats !

15-Jan-18
Congrats

15-Jan-18
CONGRATS!!!

I wanna try it next time.

15-Jan-18
Congrats!!!

15-Jan-18
Congrats i saved your recipe, i will def give it a try sounds really good.

15-Jan-18
Congrats! Thx for sharing that!

15-Jan-18
Awesome job!!!

I've always thought a wild game chili would win against any beef, too bad for the rule

17-Jan-18
thanks guys - I was told I could use venison but I needed to buy it at a facility where it was USDA inspected- I was told Litchfield Locker may have some and that there were other places as well

However I just decided that if it was not my own deer there was no point- so I substituted chuck roast and it was ok

• Sitka Gear