Dirty D 16-Jan-18
Glunt@work 16-Jan-18
rideold 22-Jan-18
Stix 22-Jan-18
Jaquomo 22-Jan-18
Stix 22-Jan-18
ColoBull 23-Jan-18
15-Jan-18
Please give me some recommendations for a free gps app for Android phone. Don't need anything elaborate or complicated, just something for back-up and emergency use in the Colorado backcountry. I'm a proficient map and compass guy but I could see a use for locating a kill site or lost partner, etc.

15-Jan-18
Please give me some recommendations for a free gps app for Android phone. Don't need anything elaborate or complicated, just something for back-up and emergency use in the Colorado backcountry. I'm a proficient map and compass guy but I could see a use for locating a kill site or lost partner, etc.

16-Jan-18
Our phones rarely work unless we are up high ( higher than usual). Our Garmins will give the current location coordinates when we go to "mark waypoint", even when the unit displays that annoying "searching for signal". That's a really helpful "glitch" that doesn't make much sense. It really helps in that case ( while "searching..."). If you can read a lat-long paper map, you can know your location before the GPS locates the satellites ( & you).

16-Jan-18
Yeah, I use map compass as my primary orienteering method, wanted a gps app as backup. Kinda backards then the rest of the world. I don't put too much faith in electronic devices and battery life.

16-Jan-18
It's not free, but Backcountry Navigator will do everything you want and more. You DO NOT need cell service. Download maps before you go and you are all set.

I recently won a debate with a CWO as to whether or not a parcel was private or FS. His official Garmin app said private. It was posted as private. A County record search showed it to be FS!

16-Jan-18

Dirty D's Link
Another vote for Backcountry Navigator, I love that app! I've been using it for awhile and it's a great value (at the time about $20 for the Colorado public/private layer). It has definitely taken the place of my GPS on our elk hunts. I recently purchased OnX, which I like as well (and you get the landowner info which could be valuable depending on what you're using it for) but I think Backcounty Navigator is easier in that I just look over my hunting spot while I have a cellular/wireless connection and it caches all the topo info. Then when you're up in the hills with no signal it doesn't matter. With OnX you have to make maps with the signal and it seems like more of a hassle but maybe I just haven't used it as much.

16-Jan-18
I have only used OnX and its pretty nice but not free.

22-Jan-18
The earthmate app is pretty good. I only use it in conjunction with my InReach but as a stand alone gps it's not bad.

22-Jan-18
Thanks, I ended up going with the GAIA app. Does have a base topo map with it. Doesn't have all the frills , but I don't need them. Like I said this is just as a backup to map and compass.

22-Jan-18
GAIA. $19.95 (I think) one time fee. I download aerial and topo maps ahead of time to use offline with the GPS when I'm adventuring, so no cell service is needed. I also do some overlays of USGS topo contours onto satellite maps, which is pretty cool too.

22-Jan-18
I got the free version of GAIA. It does exactly what I need. No fancy maps can be downloaded, but it does have a topo and street maps included.

23-Jan-18
Full GAIA membership is $20 a year. Well worth it.

• Sitka Gear