HARRY CARRY 16-Jan-18
RC 16-Jan-18
Red Beastmaster 17-Jan-18
HARRY CARRY 17-Jan-18
RC 17-Jan-18
Jax'sMommy 17-Jan-18
Will tell 21-Jan-18
16-Jan-18
I've been looking at Hickory staves. I have a good Friend with a full work shop also. The only thing he has I could use would be a table saw for a easy rough out board bow.

I'm going to be buying a drawl knife, building a bow tree to check wing curvature as I go. I have rasps, files, Drem, clamps.

Can anyone recommend a good stave and the best beginners book to buy? I'm on the Northampton/Monroe county border. I'm interested in everything bow from Halons to Olympic recurves, to traditional ancient bows.

Trivia. In Keanu Reeves movie 47 Ronin, what are the type of Long Bows they use?

16-Jan-18
The Bowyers bible's are a great starting point I think there are 4 in the series. I would highly recommend attending Denton Hill (ETAR) in late July in Coudersport. You will have a great time and meet a lot of people willing to help you.

16-Jan-18
I have the 4 Traditional Bowyers Bibles. Lots of good info in there.

Hunting the Osage Bow by Dean Torges is excellent. It's directed toward osage selfbows, but the info crosses over to other woods as well.

The Art of Making Selfbows by Stim Wilcox is another.

Check out message boards on websites like The Bowyer's Bench on Trad Gang, Primitive Archer, and The Leatherwall. Or you can even ask questions here since there are a few of us that stop in here once in a while.

16-Jan-18
Oh and by the way, it's Bowyer not Boyer, and they're bow limbs, not wings.

16-Jan-18
Jeff, "boyer" is a variant of "bowyer" in olde English, and its use is still understood when used/spelled as such in the U.K.

16-Jan-18
Harry, this is the USA.... Go to England ifin ya wanna be political kerect:)

Or just GO TO UK.... And kiss the Queen...

17-Jan-18
Oh I could say something but I don't want to get in trouble.

17-Jan-18
Hey....I'm just relating what my sister-in-law from Northern Ireland has told me. I'm not trying to upset anyone, especially Jeff Durnell. Years ago he sent me stuff for a feather burner, and I never had anything worthy enough to send back.

So, RC, stay at YOUR church, and keep making those Bamboo Backed Osage bows. Invite "Jax'sMommy" (and Jax, too) to the Church of The Bended Osage, and let them see how your styles of bows are made.

I'll never say anything again to any of you.

And Jax'sMommy: HAVE FUN with whatever version of bow you make. There are some very fine BOW MAKERS who've already posted to this thread of yours....I'm sure they'll be glad to offer help iffn that time comes.

Going back to the U.K. now....

17-Jan-18
Good riddens boy:)

17-Jan-18
Thanks guys. I'll get the 4 volumes of The Bowyer's Bible.

21-Jan-18
Get on the primitive archery web site and you'll be able to find someone to help you make a bow.

• Sitka Gear