Jaquomo 16-Jan-18
yooper89 16-Jan-18
Ckapp22 17-Jan-18
yooper89 18-Jan-18
Jaquomo 18-Jan-18
goelk 18-Jan-18
16-Jan-18
Hey everybody,

My cousin and two of his buddies are interested in doing an elk hunt for the 2018 season. Originally they had looked into New Mexico, and still plan to apply on the off chance they draw, but after looking at LO voucher prices in the $10k range, they've decided to start looking elsewhere. I live in Colorado but have never thought about using a guide (even though I'm 0-fer on my two elk hunts), so I'm hoping there are folks on here that can help point me in the right direction. They're looking to spend around $5k with a little wiggle room if it comes down to it. They don't have any PPs so it would have to be an OTC unit. (EDIT: they are all NR, I'm the only res.) Any info would be appreciated - outfitters we should look into, and ones we should avoid.

Thanks!

16-Jan-18
Rfw Archery or gun or blk powder in September

16-Jan-18
Bear Mountain Ranch.

16-Jan-18
Yes, on Bear Mtn Ranch.

16-Jan-18
Thanks guys, I've reached out to Brad and am just waiting to hear back.

16-Jan-18
I think Bear Mountain's success rate last year was something like 43 out of 54 hunters, all weapon types. I hunted that place off and on from the mid-70s until around 2000. Awesome elk place.

16-Jan-18
Success rate = kill rate or opportunity?

Thanks Lou, that's great to hear. They're definitely looking forward to it.

17-Jan-18
I looked into Bear Mtn a few years back..I recall he was right around that 5k mark for a 4 day guided hunt. Im sure prices have come up a bit since then. I dont "know" Brad personally but I know a guy that does and from what he has said, he runs a straight and honest outfit. No monsters for that price but I would think a 270-280 bull would be a realistic expectation.

18-Jan-18
I spoke with Brad last night, and intend to book with him today. I'm very excited, gives me a chance to go out and do a hunt with my longtime fishing buddy and mentor, my cousin.

From my conversation yesterday, Brad seems like a standup guy.

18-Jan-18
270-280 is very realistic. You'll see bulls like that every day. But we've killed several in the 330-360 range either on that ranch or very close to it. I hunted it a lot back when it was BLM, before all the land trades took place. Then I hunted it a bit after the land trades. Killed my first bull with a bow there. It gets better as the season goes on because elk get pushed into there from the surrounding NF. We've often watched them streaming across the sagebrush like migrating caribou.

It's beautiful country, not too rugged, and Brad runs an honest operation. You'll have a blast!

18-Jan-18

• Sitka Gear