Dusktildawn 08-Feb-18
Franzen 08-Feb-18
Montgomery 08-Feb-18
awh302 08-Feb-18
Lynn Wilcox 09-Feb-18
Montgomery 10-Feb-18
Franzen 10-Feb-18
16-Jan-18
Hey guys long time observer of this site and used to have a handle 10 years ago. I was lucky enough to kill a nice buck this year and wondered if there was anyone or any event to where I could get my deer with an "official" score. Thanks in advance

17-Jan-18
Where are you located? If you go to the P&Y website it will tell you where the scorers are located.

17-Jan-18
https://pope-young.org/records/find_measurer.asp

This link should get you to the page to find a measurer in whatever state/province you may be located. Tom

17-Jan-18
Thanks. I've tried getting ahold of a few of them to no avail so far

17-Jan-18
Thanks. I've tried getting ahold of a few of them to no avail so far

18-Jan-18
Congrats Montgomery on the deer. Any pictures you can share?

18-Jan-18
I've had Todd Anderson do all of mine. He's out of Sycamore.

19-Jan-18

Montgomery's embedded Photo
I have some better photos. But this is what I had on my iPad

19-Jan-18
Looks too small to meet P&Y. I'd do it for ya, but P&Y hasn't "selected" me to get in the class.

19-Jan-18
You're not really serious about the too small, are you, Frazen ?

19-Jan-18
I may just know this here Montgomery character. ;^)

19-Jan-18
I'm hoping he will score above 130 Franzen. Possibly 140 ??

19-Jan-18

19-Jan-18

19-Jan-18
He may gross that, but won’t net out all that well.

19-Jan-18
Taxidermist roughed scored him gross fairly high so I just wanted an official score. Any guesses?

19-Jan-18
Taxidermist roughed scored him gross fairly high so I just wanted an official score. Any guesses?

19-Jan-18
That is a really cool looking buck ! LOVE the beams crossing !!!

Looks like he might be scored as a 6×7 with a couple stickers.

Couple of the tines have some lean to them, so they MIGHT not be considered tines but extra points ??? Tough time telling in pic & that is kind of a judgment call.

GREAT deer no matter what ! CONGRATS !!!

19-Jan-18
Great deer, lots of points. He should gross pretty good, maybe 150 or more, but will have a lot of deductions depending on how some of those points are scored. Let us know what you find out. Congrats

19-Jan-18
Great deer, lots of points. He should gross pretty good, maybe 150 or more, but will have a lot of deductions depending on how some of those points are scored. Let us know what you find out. Congrats

20-Jan-18
Do a "search" for Illinois Big Buck program ..... They have 'a book' (or did) and they give out a nice frame-able certificate and their 'minimum score' is lower also for recognition! I'm sure they'd have scorers listed also.

20-Jan-18
The photo he posted is super deceiving. I haven't had an opportunity to put my hands on the rack, thus main frame determination is a little tough. Based on the photos I have had the luxury to review I would throw out the following as net estimates based on a 10 point frame:

G-1: 4.5x2 = 9 G-2: 9x2 = 18 G-3: 10x2 = 20 G-4: 8x2 = 16 Main Beam: 21x2 = 42 Mass: 14x2 = 28 Spread: 13 Abnormals: 22

Total = 168" Net Non-typical

Again, with the photo, it is almost impossible to see one of the long points on the left side that I would count as an abnormal. It is kind of a common base point, so I'm not sure how the scorer would classify it having not held the rack. The tine he is holding is also split with an abnormal. Determination of the frame will be the big question, and only the official scorer will be able to make that decision.

20-Jan-18
Mind if I ask what kind of bow tag is on that rack ?

Appears to be a single either-sex bow tag ???

20-Jan-18
The tag is a land owner tag

21-Jan-18
Tons of character on that buck but it will be interesting what he will score after deductions. I've had 2 deer scored by P&Y and luckily they did not have many deductions. One had 10 inches the other was only 3 inches.

Remember there is a drying period you have to wait. I can't remember if it's 30 or 90 days.

22-Jan-18
It is a 60 day drying period. Right in the middle. :^) He is already there. It is interesting, because as a typical it won't score all that well. If the point I was referring to above is determined to be part of the main frame, it may not have enough abnormals to go NT.

23-Jan-18
Doesn’t only need 1 inch of abnormal to enter into non-typical category

23-Jan-18
1boonr, I think the rules have changed over the years and I guess I'm not sure what is currently correct. I thought it was 15", but may not be. At one time it was only a requirement that the animal be classified as NT or Typical based on the measurement that resulted in the higher score relative to minimum, which of course would require at least a 1" abnormal to be NT, like you said.

23-Jan-18
he will make it. call the office in Minn. and they will get you set up.

24-Jan-18
Last I heard, a rack needed minimum of 15 non-typical inches and must score a minimum of 155 inches to make the book.

25-Jan-18
Awesome buck!

30-Jan-18

Lynn Wilcox's Link
http://www.elmwoodalloutdoors.com/big-buck-contest.html

8th Annual Elmwood All Outdoors Show: Saturday, March 3rd, and Sunday, March 4th.

All proceeds benefit the athletes and athletic teams at Elmwood High School. In the past seven years you have helped us raise more than $175,000 for the school and students. The athletic programs that benefit are basketball, bassfishing teams, cross country, cheerleading, football, golf, poms, track, and spirit squad.

30-Jan-18
Thanks Lynn. Hopefully I can get him scored before then. I knew there had to be a show where there would people measuring.

01-Feb-18
You never did say where you live.....I’m in Crystal Lake and am an Official Measurer for Pope & Young. If you are close, give me a call.

02-Feb-18
I'm about a hour south of Springfield. I believe I have a guy in Greenville going to measure it if we can get schedules to match up. Thanks though

02-Feb-18
I'm about a hour south of Springfield. I believe I have a guy in Greenville going to measure it if we can get schedules to match up. Thanks though

07-Feb-18
Well, he got it measured. Any more guesses before he posts the official score?

08-Feb-18
We need a side profile pic too, to be a lot more accurate.....

08-Feb-18
Hard to tell from that one picture. Throw a guess of 159 1/2"

08-Feb-18
I agree with that assessment Lynn. I'm still baffled at how deceiving that one photo is. It even caused me to underestimate everything maybe a little more than I normally would. I think he is gonna post, but he told me yesterday his internet was having some problems.

08-Feb-18

Here is what the official score came out to. The picture wasn't the greatest but its interesting how some deer will score. Thanks

08-Feb-18
There is no way I would have ever guessed that deer would have scored that high. And maybe you have better pictures but you don't want to post them on the internet (which I understand) but it shows you what quality pictures will do for someone to get an idea how big a deer may be.

I've learned over the years how to take some neat photos when it comes to trophy pictures. Don't hold the antlers, hide the tongue, skylight the background, and so on. Maybe I'll start a new thread with that topic.

Congrats on a deer of a lifetime!

09-Feb-18
Montgomery.....sorry but whoever scored your deer made 2 big mistakes.

First ..... Line E = "total length of abnormal points" was left blank ???

"TOTAL TO E" = 21 2/8"

Final score 170 5/8" - 21 2/8" = 149 3/8".....actual final net typical score

The second mistake is much better for you.......that deer needs to be OR has to be, scored as a non-typical, using a N-T score sheet

He is correct with the 198 7/8" NT gross & 191 5/8" NT net score, that are IMPRESSIVE ! That is much more impressive anyway, then a 149" typical score !

You just missed having 195" net, for B&C non-typical, but you easily surpassed P&Y 165" net, non-typ standard !!!

Again...awesome deer, that scored well !

10-Feb-18
Ya the guy was out of non typical score sheets

10-Feb-18
Based on what he wrote on the sheet, he obviously scored it as a NT. I saw the 170 at first too, then realized the issue.

• Sitka Gear