Babysaph 17-Jan-18
JayD 17-Jan-18
Babysaph 17-Jan-18
gobbler 17-Jan-18
hookman 17-Jan-18
Jim Casto Jr 17-Jan-18
Ron Miller 17-Jan-18
16-Jan-18
Just heard that Roger Rothhaar passed away. I met him several times up in Wheeling at several of the WVBA events. When you talked to him he made you feel like he was one of your hunting buddies! I was just looking at both of his books just the other day. He along with the Wensel brothers are several of my hero’s. This getting old part does stink....

16-Jan-18
Yeah, he was a great ambassador for bowhunting, especially for stickbow hunting. I never knew him, but enjoyed chatting with him at some of the WVBA events.

Two things come to mind. Many years ago, he was the speaker at a rendezvous in Elkview. Some guy asked him, if he had a deer that had his vital hidden behind a tree, what he would do. (Keeping in mind he was hunting woodlots in Ohio) He said, I’d pull back and put one thru his middle; with my Snuffers, I’d get him.

He was the banquet speaker in Cedar Lakes. During the Q & A, a young guy asked, “Mr. Rothhaar, what kind of broadheads do you shoot?” The kid had no idea. :^)

17-Jan-18
Jim I was thinking about that conversation as well. We are losing some good ones.

17-Jan-18
Sad to hear. Have you guys noticed lots of guys our age our starting to pass away? Makes you think. Enjoy life. It is so short

17-Jan-18
how old was Roger?

17-Jan-18
Someone said around 80 and that he was actually out hunting - I don’t know for sure about it though.... hope I can go that way when the time comes....

17-Jan-18
me too.

17-Jan-18
I’m sorry to hear this. I remember talking to him quite a bit at some of the old banquets . I still have unopened Snuffers. RIP

17-Jan-18
He was definitely a pioneer of our sport. I too remember talking to him at the banquet. He has taken many a great buck with a stickbow. God bless.

17-Jan-18

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Roger C. Rothhaar, 79 of Blakesburg, Iowa passed away early Tuesday morning January 16, 2018 in Monroe County Hospital, Albia, IA. His death was unexpected of an apparent heart attack. Roger was born February 2, 1938 in Chatfield, OH to the late Perry S. and Gladys F. (Candel) Rothhaar. He was married August 23, 1959 to Jane (Murphy) Rothhaar who preceded him in death July 31, 2017. Roger was also preceded in death by brother Lyle; sister Patricia Gottfried; and sister in laws Lula, Miriam, and Zelma.

Roger is survived by sons Ronald Allen (Patricia) Rothhaar of Iowa and Roger Ryan (Katia) Rothhaar of Reedsville, IN; brothers Perry Donald, Wayne, Kevin, and Dwight (Johanna); sister in law Pat Rothhaar; brother in law Virgil Gottfried; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Roger graduated from Chatfield high School in 1956 and worked at Timken for 30 years. He and his wife moved to Iowa in 2001 where he farmed. Roger was an avid Bow Hunter and was a lifelong member of the Professional Bow Hunters Assoc. He wrote 2 books on deer hunting and numerous articles for the Bow Hunter Magazine. He enjoyed working on machinery on the farm and taxidermy.

Funeral Services will be held on Saturday at 11:00 am in the Munz-Pirnstill Funeral Home, Bucyrus, OH, with burial to follow in Brokensword Cemetery. The family will receive friends on Friday evening from 6:00 until 8:00 pm. The family suggests memorials be made to the donor's choice and expressions of sympathy can be left at www.munzpirnstill.com.

***************************************************************************************

btw… I just thought of another little diddy I thought was funny. During a seminar I attended, he was discussing the trophy bucks he’d taken. He could remember in vivid detail, the month, day, year, weather, how many times he’d seen that particular deer, where he hit the buck, how far it traveled, how much it scored, etc, etc. He also mentioned hunting with his son, Ryan. Someone in the crowd asked, “Mr. Rothhaar, how old is Ryan?” A puzzled look came on his face, then he said, “Well… I’d have to ask the wife to be sure.”

17-Jan-18
I heard him say 1 time when asked if he ever got buck fever and Missssssed ?? He thought a minute and said I missed 1 deer 1 time !!

• Sitka Gear