writer 25-Jan-18
z hunter 25-Jan-18
writer 26-Jan-18
Trebarker 26-Jan-18
MDW 26-Jan-18
z hunter 26-Jan-18
z hunter 26-Jan-18
17-Jan-18
Wonder sometimes where these numbers come from. The latest Bowhunter had BH numbers shown across a couple pages. C J Winand edited the piece. A few years ago when they created the one-tag-any-weapon tags the report was that BH numbers dropped from 17,000 to 7,000, we were assaulted with the story there were not many true BH in Kansas. This article says in 2016 there were 56,000 BH in Kansas. Where in the world does the numbers come from?

17-Jan-18
Remember x-guns are considered "bow hunters"!!

17-Jan-18
So are rifle hunters with the any season tag.

18-Jan-18
So how many total tags were sold?

25-Jan-18

z hunter's embedded Photo
z hunter's embedded Photo
I dug up one of my old excel spreadsheets for you.

25-Jan-18
As you can see with 2007, there were over 20,000 resident "bow hunter" tags. 2008 was the 1st yr for the resident any season tag, archery tags were down by 50+%, .i believe a lot of that was do to vendors selling the any season tag,.. its also a location issue..people who are strictly bowhunters living in the Lawrencistan area have little need for an "either species" tag,..so even tho they only hunt with a bow,..they buy the "any season" tag...

25-Jan-18
In most cases when you try to buy an archery tag you have to take them by the ear and explain "NO, I want an ARCHERY tag".

25-Jan-18
I was thinking about that today too Dave. I wonder if when they "rolled out" that tag they put an emphasis on suggesting it? Much like a new menu item in a restaurant, or new phone at the "i" store whatever that is.

25-Jan-18
fwiw, the 2011 resident total was over 85,000 participants.

25-Jan-18
Hey, this bowhunter in the Lawrencistan area danged sure has a need for an archery permit. I plan on driving my Moped West at least twice a year. A friend who used to work at Walmart (retired from 30-plus years in education) said over 99 percent of the people buying permits in Newtonistan wanted the any season permit. I could see how it’d be easy to get in a rut and assume that’s what the next guy wanted, too.

25-Jan-18
Los Lawrencistan ??????

26-Jan-18
Yup, house in Newton sold. New job is based out of Topeka office. Kathy’s in Lenexa. Want to buy in between.

26-Jan-18
I have to convince the Emporia Office every year that yes I am seriously asking them for a archery only tag. Often I hear "Oh he's one of those guys" from other staff present. They do not ask which tag you prefer, will automatically sell you the any season tag if you do not tell them differently. That is why 99% of the people end up buying them Mike, I would not say that they want them specifically. I have talked to many hunters that didn't realize they could still buy archery only tags, thought they had been replaced by the ASS tags.

26-Jan-18
Same thing here where I buy my tags Randy. If you aren't specific about an archery tag, you get the any season tag. Last couple years I've gone the landowner/tenant direction, so not sure where they count in.

26-Jan-18
Thornton and many many others buy the "any season" tag, they have no intention of ever reducing their opportunities. They would happily endorse a 4 month "any weapon" season.

Im sure there are many nr hunters and nr landowners who wish they didnt have to select a weapon..obviously we are lucky the state still limits them..it will probably be the next big liberal action,..to allow them to hunt with an any season tag,..keep them coming back,..kill more deer...more opportunity and more tourism dollars

I would also guess there are many outfitters who would enjoy having nr hunters being able to hunt with an "any season" tag...

I would like to see the resident any season tag removed..even if its just removed in areas where numbers are low..make the residents select a weapon..remove some opportunity.

26-Jan-18
Good for you Michael, congrats!

• Sitka Gear