longbeard 20-Jan-18
shawnm 20-Jan-18
TC 20-Jan-18
17-Jan-18

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Seems yesterday was a good day for movement. Around 345 I had looked to my left and there stood a doe about ten yards away. She had three trailing her. They came in from the side and ended up fifteen yards in front if me. I drew and stood up. They instantly turned and looked my way but it was to late. I put my first pin on her and let it fly. The shot was right on and it hit her good. I didn't hear or see her crash so I gave it a half HR. I tracked her with heavy good blood and came up on the group but there was only 3 so I knew she was down somewhere. Finally found her about 75 yards away. This was a fantastic season with a great end to it. I was able to harvest two deer this season and i couldn't ask for more.

17-Jan-18
Great job bud

17-Jan-18
congrats !

17-Jan-18
Well done Shawn!

17-Jan-18
There ya go.!!!

17-Jan-18
Congratulations Shawn

17-Jan-18
Congrats

17-Jan-18
Congrats Shawn!

17-Jan-18
Nice deer. Keeping the freezer stocked till next year!

17-Jan-18
Congrats!! Great job

18-Jan-18
Congrats!

18-Jan-18

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Thanks guys.. I'm still having trouble that I would like some input on. So this is my fourth deer and not one was a pass through. I figured a 15 yard shot should be no problem. Is it due to the large cutting diameter broad heads I'm using. I ended up getting her in the liver and as you can see it did cut nice. I'm shooting 63 pounds. That should be more than enough for a pass through. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

18-Jan-18
Whats the total arrow weigh..not enough ke

Arrow lenght x gpi +head +vanes + nock should get you close enough to figure ke..but at 63# ...

18-Jan-18
I have never not had a pass through...what arrow are you shooting ? Has to be something with your set up

18-Jan-18

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
I tried to invest in something good so I ended up getting bloodsport punisher 350 arrows. I then shoot muzzy trocar hb and those are 100 grain. This is the arrow from the doe.

18-Jan-18
you should be getting passthroughs with that set up quarter away shots are different f the arrow comes out into the leg.....that would be the only acceptable non pass through

how about your arrow rest? I have heard some brands can slow your arrow down

18-Jan-18
nice job congrats

18-Jan-18

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

notme's Link
Im guessing you arrows too light...assuming youre a 28" draw...

28×7.9+50insert+100head+18vanes+20nocturnal = 409.2 total weight...everything factors into everything....you might need more ke to open them heads

18-Jan-18
Nice job Shawn...That's the same poundage that I shoot and I will get a pass through most of the time. I don't think your arrow rest is the issue because I used the WB rest for many years and still got many pass throughs. More than likely your arrow is not heavy enough or possibly your out of tune so the arrow is not pushing straight through.

18-Jan-18
The only times I have not had pass thru was with certain expandable broadheads I used . Using muzzy three blades and now slick trick 4 blades seem to always exit or completely pass thru for me . My arrows are 24" 7.9 gpi and 100 grain heads 15 grain nocks and 60 - 65 draw from a Hoyte bow .

18-Jan-18
Congrats

18-Jan-18
Yes notme. That's exactly what I'm shooting. So for a rest blood trail was kind enough last year to give me a beautiful trophy taker drop away. Unfortunately I've had some issues with the plastic piece breaking and then my knot coming undone. I never thought I would go back to a whisker biscuit but I did. I bought a new trophy ridge wb and just the past week installed it. I used the drop away on the buck and the wb on the doe and neither was a passthrough

18-Jan-18
Yes notme. That's exactly what I'm shooting. So for a rest blood trail was kind enough last year to give me a beautiful trophy taker drop away. Unfortunately I've had some issues with the plastic piece breaking and then my knot coming undone. I never thought I would go back to a whisker biscuit but I did. I bought a new trophy taker wb and just the past week installed it. I used the drop away on the buck and the wb on the doe and neither was a passthrough

18-Jan-18
If your killing the deer why are you worried ?? if your bh and fp shoot the same your tuned if not your arrow could be going in a little sideways .I have gotten many pass-through with my bow set at 53 lbs and fixed blade .Steve

18-Jan-18
Steve yes I'm killing deer but if I'm not getting penetration I need to figure out the problem. If this is the case it could contribute to losing my last buck. Maybe if it had more penetration that deer would be down.

18-Jan-18
Nice Doe.

My opinion it probably has more to do with shot location than the bow or the arrow. Perfect broadside shot your probably going to punch through ribs with most bows.

Quartering shot where you catch the near or far shoulder, your not going to get a pass through with most bows.

You catch that ball joint square, your arrow is probably not going any farther period.

I wouldn't worry about it. The best set up is unlikely to over power a poorly placed shot.

18-Jan-18
That head is crap, get some slick tricks or something for next time. Slip through like butter. Congrats!!

18-Jan-18
Two holes are way better than one for everyone on here saying that one hole is acceptable. No comments from Notme on that statement. LOL Shawn, where did your arrow enter and what did it hit on its path and what did it stop on preventing an exit hole?

18-Jan-18
Did the deer throw the arrow or did it stay in? Where was the broad head when you pulled it out? If it was a broadside shot you should have a pass through. Bring your bow to a bow shop if that’s the case. By the way it is impressive that you get so close to these deer on the ground. What are you ... a ninja? Congrats on a nice doe!

18-Jan-18
It's such an amazing feeling to get so close to these deer on the ground. I have a brand new summit viper climber and only used it twice this year. I feel it's a lot of extra weight and time to lose out on such an awesome feeling. So yes she was perfectly broadside. I did not see how it stopped because the arrow ended up on the ground. I can tell you it did go through the liver. I found the arrow 50 yards from where I hit her and she was 25 past that. Kyle the shot was a liver shot so it was a tad high and back. It was a good shot but I'd take a lung or heart over the liver any day.

18-Jan-18

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
O grizz I still have two packs of the muzzys and at 40$ for 3 it's hard just to throw them away.. but I was at Wally world two days ago and all there heads were on sale. I ended up purchasing 3 of the three packs ramcats fixed heads. I've heard great things about them and the cutting diameter is 1 3/8. Also I do have three slick trick viper tricks I'm dying to try.

19-Jan-18
Cant go wrong with slick trick i don't know how you didn't get a pass thru broadside on a liver shot ?? there is nothing to stop the arrow ? Steve

19-Jan-18

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
15yrds perfect broad side ,liver shot, no pass through, arrow falls out.? Stay away from walmart ,dicks, joes bargin weaponry..go to a real reputable bow shop and have them look at your bow then you can play mix n match

19-Jan-18
That's what I said. When I seen the lighted knock strobing I was for sure it was in her and as I ran up to the arrow only to find it by its self I was baffled. I heard a saying when I was a kid that stuck with me.. good bows aren't cheap and cheap bows aren't good. I would love to get a nice new bow it's just hard money wise. I don't think my Martin is the best choice for me. I'd really like to get a Hoyt or something nice. Ya Steve I couldn't believe the no pass through on the liver shot.. I'm going to take notme's advice and go to a shop. If I can't get this bow dialed in I'm going to have to hold out on the hunting until I get something that is more suitable. Or maybe switch back to the old Jennings fire star..haha

19-Jan-18
IF its tuned and you shoot it well, it doesn't mater I had a bow for years that I bought at Wal-Mart it was a golden eagle shot a lot of deer with it .LOL

19-Jan-18
Golden eagle..lol. I don't think I've heard of that one Steve. I admit I'm not the best shot but I do shoot this bow pretty good. I would say I got it dialed in but then I shoot a 110b doe 15 yards away with no pass through. I'm not to sure what to think. Like I said though I am going to take it to a shop just for shits and giggles and maybe they can find something that is off.

19-Jan-18
you can get a nice used Bow for a good price....200 or 300 ...hoyt matthews or elite

19-Jan-18
Dude im gonna guess you bought your bow at a store named after a male appendage..lol. places like that are good for what they are and i understand the money aspect, but youre not going to get the service and knowledge you would at a reputable dealer..

19-Jan-18
Seems strange... let us know what you find out. You could probably get a good deal on a used Mathews. I’ve always been a Mathews and Slick Tricks guy since day 1.

20-Jan-18
I have a older Hoyt Sport that I am selling. It is still in good condition. Just sitting in my basement. let me know.

20-Jan-18
Sent pm rackem

20-Jan-18
NotMe - At first glance of that pic, I followed up the wrong line and thought they labeled the paunch the liver. I thought to myself, that's one huge-ass liver. He must have been a drinker...

20-Jan-18
Shawn, You should have the bow chronographed; any good shop should be able to do it for you, this will tell exactly how much kinetic energy your setup is delivering. Secondly you can consider using less blades in your broadhead choice, a two blade head will penetrate deeper than a three blade blade and a three blade deeper than four blade. Best of luck

20-Jan-18
Shawn Its not the model of your bow or the broadhead. And as Steve said, when shot impacts at liver there is no real obstruction to stop the arrow. I'm guessing either your bow is out of tune, you have contact problems or your arrow shaft is not spined correctly (probably to weak) so that the arrow is oscillating to much and not recovering quick enough down range. Don't panic and go buy a new bow. Figure out the problem and fix it. This is a good way to start. When you do that it will help you take a step forward in your evolution as a person and a bowhunter. Something that we all strive toward.

20-Jan-18
Thanks for the advice longbeard. Seeing how I only used my bow one season I would like to get a couple more out of it. Even though it's a cheaper brand bow I do like it. I'm gonna take it to a shop. I just don't have any around here so I'll have to travel.

20-Jan-18
Shawn I doubt its your bow or broadhead but more likely your arrow. Everyone thinks lighter is faster which is true but you also loose all your energy at impact. I would def have a proshop tune your bow but would def go with an arrow no less then 9.5gpi. Its not that head your using why your not getting pass through its cause you dont have the kinetic energy to get through. 63lbs is more then enough lbs to always get pass through unless hitting heavy bone. You dont need a $1000 bow to achieve this. Just go to a good proshop "Andover Archery" in Andover. Mark Hall will set tune your bow correctly & set you up with correct arrow spine but trust me go heavier & you'll get pass through everytime no matter the broadhead unless you hit shoulder or heavy bone

• Sitka Gear