RUGER1022 24-Jan-18
Hoot 24-Jan-18
Drop Tine 24-Jan-18
RUGER1022 24-Jan-18
MF 25-Jan-18
DoorKnob 26-Jan-18
17-Jan-18
Found in Milwaukee county .

Does anyone have a CWD Deer I can buy & " discover it " in Lincoln county ?

17-Jan-18
Wow! I think there were less than 100 deer taken in the county.

17-Jan-18

Tweed's Link
Here's the link to the JS article.

Was taken by a warden in Stallis because it was showing signs.

17-Jan-18
Yeah...OK...lol. Sorry but I am very skeptical of these deals. Next comes all out eradication or never ending tags and silly seasons. Herds are never the same afterwards.

18-Jan-18
Ruger, just go hunt the ground zero zone and get your own. Gonna be a crap shoot on sampling because you can only sample a deer once, no way to find out it is bad then have it sampled. Make sure you take a sad looking one. Given the prevalence of pos in males you will need to burn your buck tag ....

22-Jan-18
WOW . GOT MY WISH TODAY. 2 year old buck tested positive for CWD in Lincoln cty today .

Yea . No more baiting . & no I didn't plant it there .

22-Jan-18
Ruger, I suppose the gas stations and sporting goods shops will immediately get rid of their bait? I think not. No disrespect to you Ruger but ask the upnorth guys if the baiting stopped up by them.

22-Jan-18
I was just notified that there was a positive case of CWD in NE Lincoln County.

22-Jan-18
Ruger, No more baiting? LOL! Yeah right.... Does Lincoln county even have a full time warden?

22-Jan-18
The DNR is still finding CWD? I try to ignore this CWD thing as it is quite silly, but I would have thought that by now CWD would have been found in every county in Wisconsin and unlimited tags for all (including unborn babies) would be the norm, and a reduction in deer numbers to the point that no one has any fun hunting would be the management plan. Anyway, the sooner CWD is found in every county the sooner Wisconsin can be bait free, which will be an awesome thing because with no baiting CWD will simply disappear, and everything will be OK, I guess must be the idea, management 101. Tapioca pudding.

22-Jan-18
When was the last positive found in a wild animal, outside the hot zone, before the one in Lincoln?

Lincoln actually has 2 wardens, the one based out of Merrill just started a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure we're back to full force now, after over a year, 2 wardens and a rec officer through the sheriff department. Now it they can actually keep up with the enforcement.

23-Jan-18
''''' WOW . GOT MY WISH TODAY. 2 year old buck tested positive for CWD in Lincoln cty today """". Yea . No more baiting . & no I didn't plant it there .""" Any Hunter or anyone else for that fact that wishes for disease to be spread in our wildlife population is not a sportsperson and must have some mental issues. You Just Can't Fix Stupid !!! (:

23-Jan-18
Fivers, Thats good news.

23-Jan-18
Arrow . The majority on Bowsite know I'm being sarcastic about the CWD issues . I certainly don't want CWD Deer found anywhere .

We have a DNR that promotes corn sales over quality Deer hunting .

We have Deer farms where CWD seems to come from & neither the DNR or the Deer farms will admit that the Deer jump those 8 foots fences . Thats their dirty little secret .

Its all a big Joke .

23-Jan-18
Ruger, was this latest one around a deer farm? This deer farm thing is the problem (to me) on the spreading of CWD.

23-Jan-18
Raise non res license fee to $360. Use additional funds for research into a cwd vaccine. Stop all the testing and other nonsense.

23-Jan-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
We need to close all game "farms" and eliminate baiting state wide. That's a good start.

23-Jan-18
New research suggests it may affect humans?

23-Jan-18
"""Its all a big Joke """. I highly doubt that.. For year you have been boosting and posting you wanted a CWD Deer to plant in Lincoln Co. to ban baiting. You even posted a 500.00$ reward for any confirmed Cwd deer. Some years back I was in attendance at a meeting you were at. At the break you let it be know of your hatred for baiting and wanted a CWD deer to plant in Lincoln Co. That's making a joke for a loooong time. I bet you wouldn't think it was a laughing matter or a joke if the WDNR started up the eradication program in Lincoln Co. and Targeted the bucks first. For the record I don't care if the WDNR bans baiting. But ban it all ...Bait plots, urine scents, atv's traveling from outside of CWD counties, Etc. And I bait plot a lot.. Be care for what you wish for and post. (:

23-Jan-18
Johnny Utah,,,, were you in that move Point Break?

23-Jan-18
If game farms are the problem, why isn't in Texas, or a problem there

23-Jan-18
Ground Hunter--- I've never heard of that movie...Is it good? I actually got the nickname from my Sergeant Major when i was in the Army. --I'll have to check that movie out! ??

23-Jan-18
groundhunter, what are you talking about? CWD has been discovered in Texas. Google it.

23-Jan-18
arrow1 seems to be a little cry baby. No doubt a big baiter.

24-Jan-18
Johnny Utah,,,, ha ha,, you got to watch that move, Point Break, good flick, then you will understand,,,,, that's funny

24-Jan-18
Retro I did not know that,,,, thanks

24-Jan-18
Isn't it a fact wherever whitetails exist there is cwd? It's been found more in Wi because of all the deer that have been tested. Time to move on.

24-Jan-18
Haha I've seen the movie many, many times. It's a great one! (The original, not so sure about the remake..) My SGM was a fan as well.

24-Jan-18
Maybe it's getting out of hand cuz all the people that wanna grow the bucks. What's the difference between a deer farm or a guy with 200 acres of land baiting the deer so they stay in their land only. (Mid as well put up a fence themselves).

90% of people that bait deer use chemical based/ un-natural food sources n we wonder why it's spreading so fast. All the deer in the herd r visiting the same bait pile everyday n never leave n b4 u no it they all have CWD. Basically saying there's nothing natural about the deer herds these days// it's about growing the horns not about keeping the herds healthy.

Until we get over the horn craze n get back to the basics/ the conversation will never end.. Seriously ask urself:: would I b doing any baiting at all if it weren't for the horns??? Am I a horn hunter or a deer hunter(big difference)???? If I could would I put a fence around the herd so they can't leave??? Do u care about the herds health(meat) or do I care that they get a huge rack. There's a lot of issues out there contributing to the spread of CWD/ but 1 thing overrules all other factors and thats the horns. I enjoy the hunt with or without horns and I'm out there for 1 reason n that's to harvest a healthy deer to feed my family/ n those days r getting close to a end. WHY HUNT AT ALL IF THE MEATS INFECTED???THE HORNS R WORTHLESS TO EAT. WHY SO MUCH EFFORT THESE DAYS TO GROW BIGGER RACKS??? WE SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED AS HUNTERS AS WE LET THE HORNS TAKE OVER THE GAME...PATHETIC

24-Jan-18
If CWD is because of game farms . Wouldn't it of started at a zoo ?

24-Jan-18
Tbuck, it is not nearly as one dimensional as what you imply. I'd guess most of us hunt for and want big horns. At the same time, almost all of us care for and utilize the meat. If you are not a horn hunter, do you kill the first deer that walks by you? Or, do you allow a 160" buck to continue walking with no desire to shoot it?

24-Jan-18
Even the game farms themselves r focused on the horn growth not the meat. Why r these deer farms even in existence. SHUT UM ALL DOWN. just putting out baiting bans does nothing cuz we all no// the law means nothing to most and they will continue to do so--literally without any law enforcement. Like really what is the dnr gonna do besides say u can't feed um??? NOTHING

24-Jan-18
Captmike--- I'll shoot what I want as long as I have a tag n I want/need meat. I don't go out focused on shooting fawns but if the 4 pointer comes by b4 the 16 pointer I won't hesitate to take the small buck. Some don't have the land to pick n choose n if want meat in freezer we better use our trigger fingers or go without meat./take what we get a chance at. Some may hunt for 5 years without shooting at anything cuz their after the horns/ but others put meat in the freezer every year we get a chance to kill/ if lucky enough to get a chance. If I choose to shoot the first deer that walks by who is to judge anyways/ unless ur 1 of um that want the deer to themselves????

Main point is:: it is one dimensional as the only care these days is for the horns. N the let um walk thing is a joke as its for the horns only also. R u letting um walk to get a bigger body or to get bigger horns??????

24-Jan-18
I believe dnr needs to step on some of these big parcels of land that r so called managed n he/she wont believe their eyes when they see all the automatic feeders and the 200 deer that r by those feeders . N maybe it'll click that this may b a big problem when it comes to CWD.

24-Jan-18
The hunter with the mind set of these r "my deer" is the biggest problem to date... Odds say they've never tested a deer in their area cuz they don't kill any n when they do- they do so for the horns.

Kill something like maybe a doe:: get it tested n help out for a change instead of being so focused on the rack.

24-Jan-18
Very passionate, Tbuck. Sounds like you NEVERBAIT... hmmmm...

24-Jan-18
Reggiezpop-- I don't have to bait to harvest/ I just do it the old fashioned way n HUNT THEM.

OH BOY THERE'S THE BIG 30 POINTER(has had a name since he was born) STANDING OVER MY FOOD PILE/ SOUNDS LIKE IT COULDN'T GET MUCH HARDER.. LOL ITS A JOKE.....

24-Jan-18
We don't hunt these days we wait till the camera says he's there by the food n then we go shoot it. Tell me how it's not getting outta hand???

24-Jan-18
Good observation Reggie.

24-Jan-18
Some people can't handle the truth. It's sad that beating the state record is the focus not CWD.

24-Jan-18
Here's a scenario:: there's a big old mature buck standing with a 2pt. Immature buck but he looks like he might b ill---which deer would u kill???(only with 1 buck tag for the season) Honest answers! Would u allow the sick deer to live so u can harvest the big horns???

24-Jan-18
Tbuck go debate to a group that doesn't think about the hunt as much as the guys on this site. Your being a pest. Many guys have made a mercy kill in their career. It's called doing the right thing.

24-Jan-18
Like many of us Arrow1 is involved in Bowhunting & is very passionate about certain things . I respect his opinions .

24-Jan-18
I've never understood this aggressive approach to CWD. It doesn't work and why kill off deer that are showing resistance to CWD. Below is an article from a couple of years ago. A smarter, 'passive' plan to fight CWD Let Mother Nature’s passive plan of natural selection already in progress control CWD, says scientist Anthony C. Grabski. Let Mother Nature’s passive plan of natural selection already in progress control CWD, says scientist Anthony C. Grabski. Credit: Journal Sentinel Files By Anthony C. Grabski

Recent news articles, public commentary and politicians have criticized James Kroll's recommendations from the Deer Trustee Report and the state Department of Natural Resource's policy to employ "passive management" of chronic wasting disease. Instead, they have called for the return of aggressive CWD management strategies based on extreme herd reduction and culling by sharpshooters.

Although claims have been made by researchers at the University of Illinois that "culling is a textbook strategy for control," Mother Nature apparently did not read that textbook when she designed white-tailed deer 3 million to 4 million years ago. Evolutionary biologist Charles Darwin and common sense also do not agree with culling as a disease control strategy in wild animal populations.

White-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus, have done very well adapting to myriad challenges from diseases, predation, hunting and environmental change. They are the most widespread deer in the world with a range from Canada to Peru, including 38 whitetail subspecies. North America's white-tail population is estimated at 25 million to 30 million animals, and Wisconsin's deer population has been estimated at 1 million to 1.5 million. The distribution, subspecies variety and high population of deer clearly demonstrate Mother Nature's success and the evolutionary principles of genetic selection first described in 1859 by Darwin in his book, "On the Origin of Species."

Darwin described natural selection, the cornerstone of evolution, as follows:

"Individuals having any advantage, however slight, over others, would have the best chance of surviving and of procreating their kind. On the other hand, we may feel sure that any variation in the least degree injurious would be rigidly destroyed. This preservation of favorable variations and the rejection of injurious variations, I call Natural Selection.

"Under nature, the slightest difference of structure or constitution may well turn the nicely-balanced scale in the struggle for life, and so be preserved. How fleeting are the wishes and efforts of man! How short his time! And consequently how poor will his products be, compared with those accumulated by nature during whole geological periods. Can we wonder, then, that nature's productions should be far 'truer' in character than man's productions; that they should be infinitely better adapted to the most complex conditions of life, and should plainly bear the stamp of far higher workmanship?"

Stacie Robinson and co-authors from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Alberta-Edmonton reported in the journal "Ecological Applications" that 41% of deer from the CWD core area of Wisconsin demonstrated resistance to CWD. Not only were the resistant deer four times less likely to contract CWD, but if they did become infected, advanced infection of the brain stem was 12 times lower, and they lived 49% longer than the disease-susceptible deer.

Furthermore, due to lowered infection and mortality, deer with the resistant genotypes had a significant reproductive advantage. This advantage would drive natural selection toward a predominantly CWD-resistant population within 250 years at low infection rates and within 50 years at high infection rates.

The authors stated these genetic differences in disease dynamics have not been previously documented, accounted for in management planning or considered in current CWD models.

These genetic resistance findings were not available when Illinois instituted its sharpshooting program but certainly should be considered now. Culling randomly removes CWD-resistant deer as well as reducing the selective pressure toward resistance caused by the diseased deer. Although evolutionary change is slow by our standards, nature has done a better job than people ever will at building a better deer. High CWD infection rates in some areas of the state translate to greater selective pressure and evolution toward disease resistance.

The bottom line: Let Mother Nature's passive plan of natural selection already in progress control CWD. Culling by sharpshooters and aggressive herd reduction may reap hypothesized temporary benefits but will slow natural selection and permanent evolutionary change toward CWD-resistant deer.

On Jan. 22, the state Natural Resources Board approved recommendations from the Deer Trustees Report including what has erroneously been called "passive management." That same night in Mount Horeb, where the costly CWD war in Wisconsin all began, I met with a group of hunters and we rejoiced: Aggressive measures to control CWD finally ended. Mother Nature and her deer had won.

24-Jan-18
Hoot, I have said this all along. I have a 8 pointer on the wall that was shot less than a mile from where the first deer was discovered.

It’s a shame what has become of the area from unlimited tags and extra seasons.

24-Jan-18
In 2009 ? I arrowed an Elk in the CWD hot zone in CO. We had a cowboy come thru daily to haul out any Elk we killed & take them to the ranch cooler .

I asked him if I could get the head tested in Hayen ? He said the locals don't bother & the non res hunters from WI seem more concerned than anyone else .

He said they have not found a CWD killed poacher or resident .

I didn't get it tested & maany people ate off that tasty Elj .

25-Jan-18

MF's Link
In WON today! on baiting ban

26-Jan-18
I don't have any solution, but the problem I see with nature and evolution taking care of this besides the timeline (I'll be dead by then) is that man has interfered with just about every natural thing and process on this planet already, and may have even accidently caused this variant out in that Colorado research facility. Nature will need man's help now, if we can ever figure this out.

• Sitka Gear