muzzy 11-Feb-18
Jebediah 11-Feb-18
mboudreau 11-Feb-18
mboudreau 11-Feb-18
xi 11-Feb-18
Jebediah 11-Feb-18
xi 11-Feb-18
17-Jan-18
Hi guys. I know a few of you make maple syrup. I have a couple small red maples in the front yard, only about 20 years old, so I dont think they would be tappable... But I have a Norway Maple, which, every year, seems to grow Sapcicles over the next few months and the kids love em. It tastes like the maple sap I've harvested way way way back... or that I've tried at friends sugar shacks... But I'm not sure - can you tap a Norway Maple?

I figured if it's doable it would be fun, even if we barely had enough to produce a cup or half a cup. The kids would get to go through the process, and see how it takes forever to boil down etc... Good for them to experience. Just not 100% that you can tap Norways?

17-Jan-18
You can tap any Maple (they make syrup out of birch too)...

It should all taste great... the only issue is the sugar content of the raw sap. They say 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. It usually takes me about 60 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of sryup- most of my maples are red swamp maples.

I got up to 400 taps in 2014... that felt like a full time job for a few weeks...

17-Jan-18
I don't have a good answer for you Will, but I was under the impression that you could tap any maple tree but some types of maple will have a higher sugar content in the sap than others.

17-Jan-18
Give it a go, just remember that raw sap is like milk so keep it as cold as you can till you have enough to boil so it doenst spoil. Hey Urban, are you in z11? I will probably get my tubing and taps going this weekend.

17-Jan-18
Thanks guys! had no idea of that mbodreau. Makes sense Shawn.

Urban - good to know. AMAZING that you have tapped that many trees at times! Serious question for you, well, a couple:

1.) Can I get stuff at a farm supply place like Agway or a coop, or should I just go to Amazon - even a small purchase, I'd rather keep it local or local ish...

2.) Is the old rule still true: set up when day's get above freezing and nights are below? That makes me think it would be great over the coming week - but it seems early - and has me pondering if I should just get my stuff, figure it out, maybe ask the older guy (he's a 94 year old history roll a dex who still uses a chain saw - the guy is awesome) next door if I can tap a red maple or two in his backyard along the edge of the woods.

Thanks guys! Will

17-Jan-18
Totally agree--any maple. Also I bet that guy lets you tap his trees. As I've said on here before--people like to have their trees tapped. I have people begging (exaggeration) me to tap their trees. Easy to get some food-grade plastic buckets with lids from grocery store bakery for free. They get cake icing in them, and are happy to get rid of buckets. Drill a hole in the side with enormous drill bit in order to hang on the tap. Also there is a web site a lot like this one, but about syrup, called "mapletrader.com." They even have the state-by-state sections, like here. You have guys on there from 1 tap to 10,000 taps. The 100,000 tap operations apparently don't screw around with web sites, though. Anyway, now's the time--go for it!

17-Jan-18
Urban I am 90% reds as well, and same here, more like 60X. 400--wow!

17-Jan-18
Will you're right, it has more to do with the thermometer than the calendar. Sap was running in December last year (that is, 2016). If you want some kind of preliminary indicator, you can break off a few twigs and see if sap drips out. With kids in the picture, particularly, it is nice to have some sap running immediately when the hole is drilled.

17-Jan-18
This will be my 3rd spring taping trees. And everything I've read says any maples can produce syrup like the guys have said above. The first year I tapped all silver maples and had pretty poor yields. Last spring I was able to find some really great sugar maples in a public woodlot across town. Kind of a pain driving around with 20-30 gallons of sap, but we ended up yielding over 2 gallons of sap from just 3 trees. Early in the season we were right on the 40:1 ratio, but as the season progressed our ratio decreased and by late march/early april we were probably around 55:1. I'm tempted to start this weekend, but I'm not prepared to babysit taps until April.

17-Jan-18
Sap run is incredibly weather dependent... more so than the rut.

And by such... unpredictable.

Tap too early and your taps will dry out by the time a major sap run happens.

Tap too late... your sap will be "buddy" ... once the buds appear sap yields gross syrup..

My solution "back in the day" start tapping mid january thru march and toss bad sap...

If I had infinite time (no longer) and infinite maples (still have 30 acres of swamp maples)... I would keep to that plan.

The late season run is usually the most intense ... as you stated Will... freezing temps at night and higher temps thru day gets the sap running. High temp fluctuations get things running....its gets tough when the nights don't cool and you have warm sap sitting... This year, "for me" I would probably start tapping in early to mid february about till I run out of energy...

17-Jan-18

UrbanHunter's embedded Photo
I am a Z11 guy. Here is my back yard evaporator rig. Anyone want to travel with their sap, my rig is your rig....it will process about 5 gallons of sap per hour... I have plenty of wood to burn.... you just have to play ball with the Fergie (puppy) as the steam rises....

17-Jan-18

I am a Z11 guy. Here is my back yard evaporator rig. Anyone want to travel with their sap, my rig is your rig....it will process about 5 gallons of sap per hour... I have plenty of wood to burn.... you just have to play ball with the Fergie (puppy) as the steam rises....

17-Jan-18
Thanks a bunch guys! I appreciate all the input and ideas.

Another question, are you really supposed to tap the tree on the sputh side, or does that not matter?

17-Jan-18
I have a theory: I think the benefit of tapping early outweighs the cost. Because I think the "tap hole clock" isn't really ticking when it's frozen, in terms of drying up. Will I think I've heard that "south side" thing too, and it may be beneficial, I don't know. But at the same time, you're supposed to tap different positions around the tree from year to year. So you can't always be on the south side (or whatever it is). I'm sure not. I doubt it's a very big deal. Making syrup is a lot easier than hunting deer.

17-Jan-18

mboudreau's Link
Not wise for long range tree tap sustainability, commercial operations refrain from that idea. article attached.

17-Jan-18
I found although you can tap any maple tree, sugar maples are definitely the kings... higher sugar content and produce much more sap. tapping south side of the tree is definitely best, also on a vein above a big root or below a big limb. as far as when to tap, that's always a gamble. I remember one year we tapped this time in January because we were itchy to start and had a good week of running. then by the time mid February came around which is typically the starting date it never got below freezing. just keep in mind optimum running temps you need to get down to at least 20 at night, particularly if your not tapping sugars. when you see a good stretch of that weather with warm sunny days I'd jump at the opportunity...and anyone who dares try out this hobby, be very carful because you'll probably find it highly addicting!

17-Jan-18

BQP's embedded Photo
BQP's embedded Photo

18-Jan-18
Interesting stuff guys. BQ, I noticed you said "veins" I've never noticed anything that looks like a vein on the side of a maple, or other tree, and that likely is not what you meant... But I'm curious if there is a specific structure I should look for based on what you are saying.

Will

18-Jan-18

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Now you guys got me interested. Would be fun for the kids to do. I must have 30-40 maples around my yard or within close proximity. How do I tell the difference between them ? I have included a picture of the bark of one of the 10 or so trees in my backyard. Any idea what kind this is???

18-Jan-18
this time of year its not easy. but you could look at the leaves at the base of the tree and it will help. Sugar maple 5 lobes, red maple 3 lobes etc. Dont know if there is a definitive bark identity between varieties or not. Drill a hole in them, if they bleed, put a bucket under it.... also maple trees have unique branches that come off the stem directly opposite each other like a Crucifix. oaks and other non maples have branches that leave the stem random like a section of tree ladder.

18-Jan-18
I have a terrible time identifying in the winter w/o leaves. I mark them in the summer. Mboudreau has the right idea. If sap comes out of hole...probably a maple.

18-Jan-18
I know they are maples will look more into it. I think they are silver maples and sugar maples. I know I have a very large red maple in the yard the kids always climbs up into. Can I mix the maple sap together in one batch. I know that sugar maples are 2% and that the silver maples are 1%. Don't know if that's makes a difference when cooking down or not

18-Jan-18
Yep, mix away!

18-Jan-18
Sweet!!! Thanks

20-Jan-18
Tapped some this morning, happy to report sap is running.

20-Jan-18
Went for a walk today in the backyard with my little 6 yr old girl. We counted 23 silver maple trees within 100 yds of the house. I think I am gonna get some supplies tomorrow and tap some trees. She is very excited to make some syrup. She wants to make a bunch and give them to the kids who can't afford syrup. She is such an angel.

Anyone have any experience running tubing from tree to tree. We have 10 trees within 30 yds of each other and figure this way might be a little more cost effective

20-Jan-18
Ive tried the tubing before without great results. sap in the lines seemed to get vacuum locked sometimes, added a vent at the top which seemed to help but still buckets are easier. I recommend keeping it simple and just getting buckets from a bakery or using milk jugs or something and just buying the 7/16 plastic taps. especially if your just starting out.

20-Jan-18
you can use 3/16 tubing o n a gravity type setup even if you dont have vacuum, by starting at highest tree and working your way down in elevation to lowest tree then to collection bucket. Nice thing about gravity on 3/16" tube is it induces its own vacuum even if only 4 or 5 feet of elevation between highest tree tap and collection point. What zone are you in?

20-Jan-18
Yes the only way you really have a cost issue is if you want the metal buckets. Taps cost very little. So if you drum up some free buckets, you're good to go. I'm a bucket guy. Partly because it's more of an excuse to walk around in the woods, and partly because tubing seems kind of complicated.

20-Jan-18
agree with above, if your just looking for quality time with kids outdoors, buckets are easier. If your looking for quantity, tubing can, and will double your volume but is more involved.

20-Jan-18

20-Jan-18
Z11 south coast. Pretty warm here this upcoming week so will give it a shot

21-Jan-18
Took the little one in the backyard today and tapped 5 trees. Have to say a big success. All were flowing right away and very exciting. At least for a 6 yr old. I have some pretty big maples in the woods behind the house, some bigger than both of us could reach around At the same time.

21-Jan-18
Nice! Have fun!

21-Jan-18

alittletolate's embedded Photo
alittletolate's embedded Photo
I just have a backyard tap system going...it's pretty cool

24-Jan-18
I have a very concentrated area of buckets--ugly white buckets--out in one piece of woods. Those trees just got tapped Sunday. We stunk up the woods to high heaven, then left behind our gigantic collection of buckets. Went in there just before dark today, and three deer are walking around, right in the center of this whole mess. They drive me nuts.

24-Jan-18
Jeb they're sipping the sap your collecting while you sleep! Good luck, Let's Go

31-Jan-18
Finished off first boil tonight, little over a gallon. Pretty good, but feeling a little dumb now with trees all frozen up.

31-Jan-18
I'm glad I was patient... I'm excited to give it a go though. The kids will freak, especially our son. The darn kid could drink maple syrup 3x day like water :) Going to be fun!

08-Feb-18
Thanks for the info guys. I hit a couple localish farm stores and they had not gotten the Maple Taping stuff out, so we hit amazon. I'd wanted to go with a few stainless taps and buckets, but the cost was more than we wanted to mess with for this fun family experiment... But we found a starter package that had everything but buckets, added in a few of those in food grade plastic and we are set. Should be able to start next week.

At the risk of sounding "sappy" Thanks for the good info and ideas!

08-Feb-18
Should be good all next week, have fun. Yes those metal buckets are pretty pricey.

08-Feb-18
Use food grade buckets from wallyworld with the covers.... and if your just doing quickly for yourself...home depot buckets work well

08-Feb-18
Endless supply of free food grade buckets at grocery store bakery, just trash to them, they love for you to basically take out their trash.

08-Feb-18
I use empty milk gallon jugs and clear Pvc tubing with brass hose connectors for the tap. My whole tap system per tree costs around 4 bucks per tap. Have already done one batch that I got a quart of syrup from and will Be doing another this weekend. My little one loves it and helps me collect every other day.

09-Feb-18
Would you boil in an aluminum pot, you guys got me thinking. Have a ton of maple trees in the yard

09-Feb-18
I'm going to use stainless xi... but only because it's what we already have...

09-Feb-18
I'm afraid to get involved in this. I start something and end up going overboard with it. There's a tractor supply at the end of my street, was just looking at tubing kits and all the supplies, yikes !

09-Feb-18
deep restaurant "steam pans" (amazon) on cinder blocks, out in the yard. Neighbors love it.

09-Feb-18
Jeb, the cinder blocks don't crumble

09-Feb-18
Aluminum is not food safe by maple commercial standards, but a ton of backyarders use turkey fryers for boiling. Refrain from using dish soap to clean it, the taste of soap will linger right to your pancakes....

09-Feb-18
Not enough to be a deal-breaker. When I see a cracked one I just replace it. But you're right, the fire does win eventually.

09-Feb-18
What about blue porcelain stock pot. BTW, Just bought 12 taps with tubing and on the search for buckets, I'm screwed !!!!!

09-Feb-18
Sorry xi :)

09-Feb-18
Will, it's bad. I'm Mr. OCD when I do something, now I have kids to encourage it !

09-Feb-18
Tapping tomorrow!

Xi, I try not to cook anything in aluminum. Even foods with the slightest amount of acidity can have a strange reaction with the aluminum. I haven't tried it, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a fairly distinct flavor difference from syrup cooked in aluminum to syrup cooked in a non reactive type metal.

09-Feb-18
Should he running tomorrow, at least in eastern MA.

09-Feb-18
Yeah...starting tomorrow and all weak ..should have a pretty decent flow ..if it gets too warm , the sap heads straight for the top ....

10-Feb-18
Thanks for the heads up on the aluminum pot. I knew that about cooking in general, just wasnt sure about sap.

10-Feb-18
Sugars are running, reds haven't started yet this morning. How about I give an hour-by-hour update today? Just kidding.

10-Feb-18
Wife's picking up buckets right now. I'm fishing with kids. Can't wait !

10-Feb-18

xi's embedded Photo
Here we go !
xi's embedded Photo
Here we go !

10-Feb-18
How long does it take to boil down? Or simply put, how do you know its ready? By taste?

10-Feb-18
Hydrometer to start

10-Feb-18
219 degrees if no hydrometer

10-Feb-18
Taste and viscosity, judged by multiple “certified assessors” (wife/kids).

10-Feb-18
Jeb - that method was what I was hoping to use... Good to know it's well proven :). Does it help to have a plate of pancakes near by, you know, just to double check?

11-Feb-18
Well, if you really want to be scientific about it, then yes, you’ll probably want to have some pancakes.

11-Feb-18
Curious what guys are doing about filtering the syrup. It's probably the most important part of the process if you want clear good tasting syrup.

11-Feb-18
No filtering. Boil down to “pre-syrup,” stick in fridge for a few days to let the worst of the precipitate settle. Then pour off the top to finish on the stove, leave behind (most of) the precipitate. Not pretty, but it works for me.

11-Feb-18
Real filters avail online, or, a new t shirt, rinsed in hot water,pour syrup thru it at 185 degrees.

11-Feb-18
Jeb, how's the Taunton Woodlot treating you? Reds cranked up last night, 1 gal per tap for me this am. Time to put rain gear on...

11-Feb-18
3 gal from my 10 taps last night, roughly 24 hrs. Is that ok ?

11-Feb-18
Reds seem to have kicked in, boiling what I have right now from saved-up sap, going to collect shortly. Pretty miserable, funny how the help disappears when the rain starts. Xi I think 3 gal not too shabby. Good chance they’re running today also.

11-Feb-18
Gonna keep it sealed and coldin a 7 gallon water jug until Wednesday, my next day off, then collect all of it to boil all day. Thanks again everyone for the info and help.

• Sitka Gear