rick allison 23-Jan-18
Live2hunt 23-Jan-18
longbowbud 23-Jan-18
Swampy 23-Jan-18
rick allison 23-Jan-18
Live2hunt 24-Jan-18
Bobbin hood 27-Jan-18
20-Jan-18
Between recurve's and longbow's what is the smoothest to draw . I have really bad shoulder's so looking for a light draw for deer . Don't know if thirtyfive pounds is enough or not . The reason I ask is because I have never killed a deer with Traditional equipment . I would like to before I kick the bucket . I shot barebow for a lot of year's so that won't be a problem . Any advice would be helpful . I have nowhere to try out bow's so I won't be able to try any before ordering .

20-Jan-18
Start with a recurve first then move to a longbow, I love the longbow myself.

20-Jan-18
Try both as each is a completely different animal.

20-Jan-18
I am starting to get interested in the traditional bows as I get older too. The science behind choosing the right arrow...length and head is WAY MORE complicated than a compound bow.

What I`ve done is pick up some recurves and longbows that are used and are for sale on Craigslist etc. Worst case they look cool on the cabin wall.

20-Jan-18
Swampy don't you have a cabin in Marinette County? anyway, if you go to Northwood Outfitters in Iron Mountain, Hwy 2 he is on the river, he has bows you can shoot, but call him first,,,,,, I have a long bow waiting for me there, nice smooth draw, 40lbs which is perfect.......................

The long bow, draws smoother than the recurve, in my opinion.... also you can go to trad shoots around the state, and lots of bows to look at and shoot,,,,,,

The best place to go is Compton, in June, there are lots of bows there to shoot, but its a drive,,,, I would go this year, if we could get a few guys, we can camp, right on the grounds.............

I will send you a PM, see if I can help you out

20-Jan-18
Ive owned and shot both. I see no difference as long as the bows fit you in draw length and draw weight.

20-Jan-18
Swampy there is a great show next weekend in Kalamazoo MI that you should try and get to if able. Kalamazoo Archery Expo. All trad stuff with guest speakers. You can try bows out too!

20-Jan-18
I live in Crivitz, i have several longbows and recurves you can try out anytime if you want to shoot them.

20-Jan-18
I live in Dane County, I also have some tackle you can try if you'd like. R U a right or left handed shooter?

20-Jan-18
I went to Kalamazoo two years ago when I switched to longbow. Long drive round trip just to shoot stickbows but yes you would leave there knowing what you like. You can do the same thing here in Wisconsin, just takes longer. All the men I've met at trad shoots will let you shoot their bow if you ask. If you can put the broadhead in the deer, 35# will kill whitetail all day long.

21-Jan-18
30# is minimum draw weight but 40 would be much better. With light bows you just have to take closer shots. Use only cut on contact, razor sharp broad heads, two blade designs would be best. IMHO

21-Jan-18
I feel my recurve is a smoother bow, but that’s because my longbow is a little heavy for me. My sweet spot seems to be a 45lb now at 28”. I have a 29.5” draw, so I’m pulling back a little more.

21-Jan-18
Get involved with the Wisconsin Traditional Archers. We have shoots all around the state and our banquet and trad show is coming up Feb 17 in Stevens Point. PM me if you like and we can have a more in depth conversation. any of us would be happy to get anyone interested pointed in the right direction.

22-Jan-18
I've been strictly sticks for decades. Check out some trad shoots this summer...guys will be happy to help and let you try stuff out.

I shot recurves for years, but moved to an RD longbow a couple years ago and love it.

Do NOT overbow at the outset! The old rule of thumb for a recurve was 10lbs under your compound weight.

Don't know your location, but check the WTA shoot schedule...couple indoor/outdoor shoots coming up in a week or so.

22-Jan-18
Thanks for all the responses . Rick I first need a bow and some practice before I make an ass of myself . LOL

22-Jan-18
Swampy, I killed a bear and plenty of deer shooting a 42# recurve using both aluminum and fiberglass shafts with bear and bodkin heads. I remember sitting on stand spending countless hours shapening those heads, only to miss and have to resharpen them. I have an RER recurve that shoots 2217 very well with Hellrazor or Montec 125 grain heads. Take all the time you need to get proficient at close range and move out from there. Half of the fin is getting the animals in close so you can kill 'em. Good luck!

23-Jan-18
Just call Randy at 906 774 - 9009,,,, he is right in your back yard, in Iron Mountain MI,,, he has a trad shop at Northwoods Outfitters, he is on the river off of Hwy 2,,,,, He hunts with Ron LaClair, can not get more trad than that guy, ha ha,,,,, anyway talk to him, he knows his stuff, may have some bows for you to shoot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

23-Jan-18
one more thing in March I will be going up there to pick up my new long bow, I will give you a call, when I do

23-Jan-18
Swampy...I used to shoot Black Widow recurves up to 70lb, and Hill style longbows to 76. No more!!! Those days are well I need to the rear view mirror...lol.

My son took over the old MAII Widow a couple years ago, and killed 2 deer with it.

I've since dropped down to 52 & 53lb in a WhippenStick Phoenix takedown recurve, and his RD one piece longbow. Love em! Both bows really like 2117 aluminum (yeah...I'm that old...lol), and shoot smooth, fast, & whisper quiet. My son, now 30, got Ken's last build fron WhippenStick last summer when we drove up to his place to a shoot & pick it up. It's the takedown RD, and is amazing. He dropped to 55lb, which is more than plenty.

You'd be welcome to try em out any time.

23-Jan-18
Damn...just read that last post...this tablet does some funky stuff at times...gotta proof read more...lol.

23-Jan-18
Hmm, I was looking for the website for WhippenStick Bows. Could not find one. I wanted to see some of there TD recurves myself.

23-Jan-18
not being made anymore

23-Jan-18
Just bought a bow off a guy reasonable . It's a Greentree Ridgefire . Fofty pounds . If I can't shoot it or don't like it , it will become a carp bow . Do ya think 2016 arrow's will shoot good out of it ? PS if the bows junk I don't wanna know .HaHa

23-Jan-18
Yeah, Ken hung up the bow biz...he's moved on and is happy...awesome guy! I get to shoot with him a couple times a year. IF he ever starts up again...I'm ordering a Marauder!

24-Jan-18
Too bad, nice looking bows. Swampy, use one of the calculators on-line to get you close. You can then tune the bow to the arrow.

27-Jan-18
Been shooting a stick since 1959 and haven't looked back! Shot recurve for years and went to my blacktail longbow last year and loving it! See ya at Sussex!

• Sitka Gear