KHunter 30-Jan-18
tramper 30-Jan-18
ColoBull 30-Jan-18
Glunt@work 31-Jan-18
Grasshopper 31-Jan-18
ColoBull 31-Jan-18
brunse 01-Feb-18
23-Jan-18
A recent request for basecamp lists gave me the idea: My list is long, but for starters - I really like my Wyo 2 saw. The 1 was nice, and still get's a lot of use, but the 2 is a true monster.

23-Jan-18
Toilet Paper - preferably not of the John Wayne variety

23-Jan-18
X2 on TP...That said, also a comfortable bed and coffee.

23-Jan-18
My favorite is when I can take my Truck Camper on a hunt- however hauling it to other states is not really very conducive on the gas expenses.

23-Jan-18
Toilet seat, I even pack one in too spike camp when the wife is with me, getting old, her not me! Don't bother packing it when I'm by myself, but I do appreciate it when it's there! Also have the Power pack to recharge electronics and a Little Buddy heater at base camp. That being said, our Basecamp these days is just our backpacking camp but next to the truck instead of a mile or usually a little less in.

23-Jan-18
Oldgoat I going to warn you ahead of time. If I ever run into you packing in a toilet seat on back of your pack I am going to laugh. ;)

23-Jan-18
With out a doubt my favorite item... A shower that is 12 volt plugs into cig. lighter. This one for $30 has served me and my family well. I use it mid day and have a metal bucket I heat water with on the camp stove. A 4 gallon bucket can wash myself, my wife and 2 kids barely. We pack extra water so we can wash. I need a shower shelter someday, but for now open the door on the truck, let the door break the wind and spray off soap and rinse...

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Powered-Water-Pump-Shower/dp/B00EN7N4XG

Luckily we have only had one person drive up to camp while showers were taking place...

23-Jan-18
Camper with a comfy bed and furnace.

23-Jan-18
Warm and dry beats all...anything less will ruin an outing. Want a good heater

23-Jan-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My Stihl chainsaw. Gotta get to camp [ not sure if the Wyo 2 saw will help much here ] lol!

23-Jan-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
camp slippers
camp slippers
books to read
books to read

24-Jan-18
Cnelk, even more distressing when you are on your way out and only have an axe:-) All those things mentioned above but I also like to have my Dutch ovens.

24-Jan-18
Nice! The "necessities" are assumed. Cash equivalent, food, water, drink ( an expanded first aid kit, with any & all kinds of meds, etc.,etc.) Truck camper ( or trailer) - the only way I can fit all my stuff... Toilet seat - you bet! Hot shower - AMEN!!! A warm dry bed - don't leave home without it. The Wyo 2 & a tow rope would have cleared a path around those trees in short order. The chainsaw is almost a must, in the event that the beetle kill trees get any bigger. Our Jet Boils were bought with spike camp in mind. We use them every day that we spend in base camp. Is that one in the 2nd pic, Paul?

24-Jan-18
X2 on the chain saw. Couple years ago we had to cut a bunch of standing dead lodgepole to make the site safe.

24-Jan-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Camp set up and ready to hunt... Notice the crocs and the boot scraper to keep the camper clean :^)
Camp set up and ready to hunt... Notice the crocs and the boot scraper to keep the camper clean :^)
Feeling pretty good about it....
Feeling pretty good about it....
12 hours later...
12 hours later...
Without tire chains my truck probably would have spent the winter in the Wyoming mountains...
Without tire chains my truck probably would have spent the winter in the Wyoming mountains...
A good scoop shovel and tire chains!

24-Jan-18
crocs.

24-Jan-18

ColoBull's embedded Photo
Conceptual snapshot of the base camp trailer.
ColoBull's embedded Photo
Conceptual snapshot of the base camp trailer.
Slippers? Oh, yeah. Be it tent, camper, or trailer - a collapsible tarp/awning off of the door area - there's nothing like a dry (or snow free) "porch" area. Nothing drives me more stir crazy than being cooped up when it rains ( or snows) for a day or three. We hung a huge tarp over a ridge rope, providing a large communal dry area ( comfy for 6-8 ), when we had 3 tents ( and 3-4 kids) in camp. It was a lifesaver at times. A couple wind walls provided additional relief. It has become a "standard" in our camp.

24-Jan-18
A case of cold Budweiser to celebrate my victory or soften my attitude if it turns out to be a big camping trip!

25-Jan-18
The MilSurp 'Nam folding shovel gets quite a bit of use. Today's knock offs are pieces of crap. The Kat base camp water filter purifies ~5 gallons a day. Fill & forget.

25-Jan-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Bedroom
Bedroom
Closet
Closet
My camps tend to be pretty Spartan when compared to most. I like the ability to load up and move fast if I decide I want to be somewhere else.

Wet wipes and those scent free towels are hard to beat to scrub down after a few long days beating the hills.

The Wyoming saws are pretty good and I have used them for years. The bigger one is better. I recently got a couple of really good folding saws - a Stihl and a Silky. I got the fine and coarse blades for the Silky and am impressed by how fast it will cut thru wood or bone. If you are back in some of the nasty blowdown, there still is no substitute for a chainsaw, though.

Tend to keep a lot of tools and gear for getting out of a mess at the truck - straps, high-lift jack, traction pads, air compressor, tire plug kit, extra spare tire (I carry 2, just in case), jumper cables, and tool kit. All have proved invaluable on numerous occasions.

I do like to have a cooler at the truck with some good barley pops as well!

25-Jan-18
All of the ingredients of a "spartan" spike camp are on a separate "sub-list" on my base camp list. Wet wipes (unscented) are on both. I was going to try a "spike camp favorites" thread when this base camp one fizzles. 'Just trying to have some fun & stay distracted/informed while awaiting the draw ( & results).

25-Jan-18
Cooler?? Whats your truck look like, Treeline??

25-Jan-18
That is my base camp! And spike camp.

Whocares,

Not tellin! Too many people already know and follow me around to my secret huntin' spots!

25-Jan-18
#1 the comfortable bed in my 5th wheel camper #2 the shower #3 the indoor toilet when it's raining

26-Jan-18
A fifth of mid-grade single malt Scotch.

A little Honda 1000 "lunchbox" generator for whatever might need power or recharging.

A Buddy heater for wall tent or camper.

26-Jan-18
my cot!

26-Jan-18
Tavis - you are the definition of Spartan. I nominate you for the "300" club! My first Buddy finally gave out after several years of tent heating. I bought 2 more. I also like the smaller Little Buddy - perfect for the trailer. Electronic start propane lanterns are also up there on my list. I was really bummed when they stopped importing butane for the cole-man version. It was all the aux heat I needed for the spike tent.

26-Jan-18
If your base camp is real comfy, you will want to spend too much time there when you should be out trying to kill something!

27-Jan-18
Au contraire - In my case, comfy makes it easier to get going earlier. 'Reminds me of another favorite - the 3.5" XL self inflating sleeping pad.

30-Jan-18
Cot. Clear weather I am sleepy by next to truck with no tent. Cloudy ish weather I may pitch tent just in case. Maybe not.

Tree line what is that “tent”? Like it.

Getting wet middle of the night? Priceless but not harmful.

30-Jan-18

tramper's embedded Photo
tramper's embedded Photo
I love my truck She's a right outside. I ain't got much love, But I sure got a ride.

Who did that song?

30-Jan-18
That would be Glen Campbell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=770hZ18ZXMQ

31-Jan-18
My cot with a thick pad, big canvas/flannel sleeping bag and a real pillow. Drape a wool blanket over the cot and pad to trap the air underneath. Throw in a little breeze and an elk bugle around 2AM.

31-Jan-18
I primarily hunt elk. The more my knees hurt, the more I value the sit down toilet in my PU camper. Never would have considered that in my 20's, but at 53 it is really a great thing to have.

31-Jan-18
Same here. The little utility trailer has gone through quite an evolution over the years. An indoor toilet & shower is part of the latest version. A comfy warm dry bed has been there from the beginning. For me, that's where it all begins. A good night's rest is a prerequisite for a good day's hunt. 'Same now as it was 40 years ago.

01-Feb-18
Cot. Stove

• Sitka Gear