>>>---WW----> 25-Jan-18
Ski & Skin 25-Jan-18
Orion 25-Jan-18
Destroyer350 25-Jan-18
Orion 25-Jan-18
Ski & Skin 25-Jan-18
24-Jan-18

Grasshopper's Link
More info about the shed antler collection closure at the link, so you can be informed and legal.

24-Jan-18
I would have to disagree with this statement: "Hikers and bikers also tend to put less pressure on animals by staying on established trails"

Not where I hunt turkeys... the locals have created established mt bike trails all over the National Forrest and clearly disrupt the animals let alone the hunting during the spring season.

24-Jan-18
Yep, its crazy how many "bike trails" there are now that aren't enforced. Maybe they should worry about making every hiker, biker, etc. buy a habitat stamp too while they are out patrolling for illegal shed hunter.

24-Jan-18
"What if I'm doing something unrelated, like hiking, and find an antler? If you are hiking in an area where there is currently a shed antler and horn collecting closure and you see an antler or horn, you are advised to leave it alone. There is no way for a CPW officer to differentiate between you and someone who entered the area for the purpose of shed hunting"

Yeah, sure, like there aren't going to be a whole bunch of 'hikers' out there stashing sheds until it's legal to go get them...

24-Jan-18
Just to clarify that the CPW and all of know that other activities like bike riding etc. Has an effect. The topic has been covered for years, but the how to address it becomes the hard part. I have seen several examples where the CPW has worked with land managers to limit human activity where conflict occurs. The CPW simply does not have the authority to regulate such activities at this time...

24-Jan-18
So is "advised" in the following sentence a legal term or just a suggestion?

If you are hiking in an area where there is currently a shed antler and horn collecting closure and you see an antler or horn, you are advised to leave it alone.

24-Jan-18
What if my dog grabs it for a chew toy?

24-Jan-18
By reading that it doesn't take effect until March 2nd. So you can collect sheds from now until March 2nd? Then start up again May 1st

24-Jan-18
Doubt if you'll find many (any) elk sheds before March 2nd.

25-Jan-18
You'll find deer though

25-Jan-18
I'm curious why they use the word "Horn" throughout. Are they doing this just so the "bone collector" types out there can keep up, or are there folks actually collecting horn? Serious question.

"Shed antlers or shed horns are still considered "wildlife" based on the statutory definition, which includes any parts thereof and whether alive or dead."

I wasn't aware of any horns that dropped, maybe I'm misinformed? Am I missing something, or as the wildlife professionals should they word their literature more carefully?

25-Jan-18
Pronghorns shed their horns.

25-Jan-18
Pronghorns shed their horns.

25-Jan-18
That I did not know ( I probably should have).

My apologies to the COW folks.

25-Jan-18
Collection &( possession)??? What about the antlers many of us have hanging from the rafters that have been there for years and are in our possession?

25-Jan-18
It's all BS!!!

You can collect antlers on private property. CPW is in collusion with ranchers. Ranchers will start selling antler trespass fees!!! It's not about wildlife welfare, it's about money!!

There is no evidence that a person walking has killed a deer. They can't control atv's, bikers, or anyone else so they are trying push the public out of federal lands.

25-Jan-18
This whole thing is bs. One, it doesn't even take effect until March 2nd so guys right now and through February can be out there so they are not worried about protecting wildlife. Two, how in the heck do they think they will decipher if someone got antlers on public or private if they stop someone while driving? Three, are they going to stop every individual that is on public land during the winter? i.e. snowshoers, hikers, bikers, cross country skiers, etc. The list goes on and on

25-Jan-18
I agree Ski & Skin its going to create a HUGE market for Ranchers selling access. For the people who didn't listen to the meeting they are eventually coming after every recreational activity on public land. They are trying to keep more and more people out.

25-Jan-18
They don't have the man force for that, heck they cant even regulate the habitat stamps. I have never seen them approach anyone out hiking or biking to see if they have a habitat stamp

25-Jan-18
It's federal land!!!!

So I believe the last session they made it ok to use a helicopter to go and shoot coyotes, because they are trying to shut out hunters. THIS WILL CONTINUE. They will keep closing land and shut down all hunting!! The deer populations are decreasing because no one is preditor hunting any more. More and more bear tags are B tags, cause hunters can't Harvest enough. Bears eat fawns too!! More and more mountain loins. Oh but no, shed hunters are the ones killing deer???? W*F!!!

This is what happens when you have parks and wildlife join together!!!

The reality is the deer are weak, that's why they are dying. By not having people walking by them in the spring will make them weaker. When the wolves come in they will all be decimated!!

• Sitka Gear