Contributors to this thread:
KJL94 27-Jan-18
Straight Arrow 28-Jan-18
KJL94 28-Jan-18
Shortdraw 29-Jan-18
SBH 29-Jan-18
KJL94 15-Feb-18
27-Jan-18
Hey everyone, this is my first post here! I'm going to be moving to Bozeman this fall from the western part of the state, haven't been able to hunt as hard the last couple of years because of school but I'm looking to get back into it this year. This might be a stupid question but are all of the areas close to Bozeman (HDs 301, 311, 360) super crowded? I've just been looking at Google maps and onX and it looks like good country, but I'm assuming there are a lot of people come September and ever more in October. I'm from Montana so I know that the areas that have elk are also going to have some people, but I wasn't sure if these areas are especially bad. Thanks for your help!

28-Jan-18
Welcome to the Gallatin Valley. Yes, the outdoors playgrounds surrounding Bozeman in any direction are usually occupied by recreationists engaged in a variety of outdoor activities. However, there are many good hunting areas and a lot of wildlife in the area. It may take you awhile to research, scout and find the spots you want to hunt, but there's lots of info available. Good luck to you. You will have fun in the process, of that I'm sure.

28-Jan-18
Thank you, I am definitely looking forward to figuring that area out!

29-Jan-18
Like straight arrow said.....lots of outdoor folks here. But if you do your research, footwork and meet some people it's pretty good for most everything down here. Just don't be afraid to ask or knock on doors. Most guys say it's impossible blah blah blah but it's not at all. If you are honest, respectful of the owner and the land and offer something in return once in a while it's pretty easy to find a place or two along with all the public land we have over here. Good luck man and let us know how it all works out.

29-Jan-18
Welcome to Bozeman! Yes, you will run into some folks out doing the same thing you are doing. BUT.....there are plenty of mornings and evenings I've spent not even 30 mins outside of town with bulls bugling if you get out there and make the effort. They aren't easy animals to kill close to town because of the pressure....but they are there.

15-Feb-18
Thank you for the answers, I can't wait to get out there!

• Sitka Gear