PublicLandHunter 04-Feb-18
mrw 06-Feb-18
Jimbo 07-Feb-18
Ungie01201 07-Feb-18
Will 07-Feb-18
bigcountry 07-Feb-18
XMan 08-Feb-18
03-Feb-18
I can't believe I am posting this question. Not which is better, but what are you guys hunting with these days. Now that my bow is tuned, I can shoot broadheads with confidence. But I have been shooting mechanicals for as long as I can remember. Never an issue with mechanicals, but a broadhead would definitely eliminate another possible point of failure in the hunt. However, mechanicals give me a larger cutting diameter. I am leaning toward the fixed blade. I have tested it out to fifty yards so far and they are flying nicely.

03-Feb-18
Oh oh, here we go again! Lol. The great debate, fixed or mechanical, and the truth, if you ask me, is you can't go wrong with either. I shoot Grimm Reaper whitetail specials, because as you stated, the wound channel is great, and they are accurate as heck. You can get pretty darn accurate with fixed, but it takes a good bit of tuning, and i never could master it completely. With mechanicals it all depends on the bow, as long as it's fast enough, they are great. With a fixed you get less cut, so if your back at all, you may be in for a track, but if you hit shoulder, you have the advantage over a mech for sure. I think the bottom line is, when paired with correct arrow, spine, weight, and bow, you have a bunch of good broadheads to choose from. For my money, I prefer the reapers, but that's just what it is, a preference. My 2

03-Feb-18
This is the way I look at it. Two blade heads are probably the most popular for hunting big African game due to the penetration. If a two blade head works on a Cape Buffalo or even an Elephant then I think the small cutting diameter will work just fine on deer. I like fixed heads that are quality built.

04-Feb-18
I have shot fixed broadheads my entire hunting life and love the penetration and accuracy you get from them. I am not going to say they are "easier" to shoot than mechanicals because my fixed broadheads do not fly like my field points so I do have to adjust my sights in the fall when I start shooting my fixed broadheads. I think the drop away rest has done a lot for helping fixed broadheads fly accurately . If your bow is well tuned and you shoot a drop away rest, fixed broadheads are accurate. Also, I think you get more penetration/pass-throughs when using fixed broadheads versuses mechanicals.

04-Feb-18
I'm shooting rage 2 blade hypodermics... 68lb @ 30" draw, w a drop away rest... she zips 'em in there...

04-Feb-18
I use Hypodermics as well. I had a heart shot that would have been a heart nick without the 2"+ cutting blades. Plus they shoot just like my field points.

06-Feb-18
My Montecs have never not passed through. Never. And I've had plenty of deer drop within sight. Mechanicals seem like insurance for poor shooting to me, but I'm not saying you shouldn't use them if they work for you.

07-Feb-18
100 grain 4-blade fixed cut-on-contact Muzzy Phantoms.

07-Feb-18
I shoot NAP Spitfire Maxx & Spitfire XXX Mechanicals. I have been shooting them for years and have had great success with them.. I think both are effective and it's just a matter of preference.

07-Feb-18
My quiver still has 3 Rage Extremes and one Slick Trick Magnum. I love the Extremes, but am getting wander lust, so I may try Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials next fall.

If I went "back" to fixed blades full time vs just for shoot through mesh, I'd go back to the quiver full Slick Trick mags. Love those things!

07-Feb-18
Mechanical for me. Rage for the past 7 or so years...Have a Swacker in the quiver for many years too but never used it on a critter....

08-Feb-18
I switched last year from Slick Tricks to Rage Trypans. I have been a tad disappointed with the last few blood trails from the ST's. Three deer with perfect lung shots where the deer only went 100 yards or so and the blood just didn't impress me. I have killed a ton of deer with them so they certainly do the job but I like quick clean kills and boy those Trypans lay down one heck of a bloodtrail. Also they allow for a greater margin of error so if you do happen to make a bad shot the wound channel is just devastating.

• Sitka Gear