VtTransplant 12-Feb-18
Moons22 12-Feb-18
Jimbo 12-Feb-18
brooktrout59 13-Feb-18
fisherick 14-Feb-18
Will 14-Feb-18
steve 14-Feb-18
06-Feb-18
And kills small dog in Natick. Area surrounding the town forest. They won't allow us to deer hunt in there, but maybe now some predator calling??

06-Feb-18
Only going to be more of them... Meaning, more feasting on pets. It's funny, growing up in a very rural town, people lost pets to wildlife all the time. Fishers and bobcat's were the early (IE, 80's and early 90's) culprits... Then coyotes raised the bar from the early-mid 90's through today. Doesnt make the paper or evening news in a rural town when your new calf is eaten or cat or dog... But in a suburban town, where people think they are inoculated against nature having any negative impact on anything but their next commute, it's a shock.

I feel for the owner... and the pet... It also seems that as these things increase, people will start recognizing that nature, in real life... is not Disney's version...

06-Feb-18
I love these stories I really do. The more stories of little Flopsy getting turned into Coyote poop, the more weight State Senators (like Anne Gobi) have when trying to change hunting laws - namely that whole .22LR issue for a nocturnal animal.

DIE LITTLE FLOPSY DIE!!!

06-Feb-18
I wish I had a dollar for every lost dog/cat poster I see on utility poles. Also a sticker to add to the poster " Sorry - the pet is now a coyote meal".

06-Feb-18
I live across rt 9 from the town forest. Don't see many deer, behind my house is a nasty swamp. Too much water for deer. In the winter however all you see is coyote and fox tracks. EVERYWHERE. Now the only way I would be able to predator hunt in my yard would be to get written permission from all 3 house to my left, 3 houses to my right, and the 3 house across the street. Well, I got 8/9 to sign it. Big fat Mary 3 houses down from me refuses to sign it. Hopefully big Mary moves. She's no good. Only person in the neighborhood that doesn't cut her grass. Miserable Mary.

06-Feb-18
She probably doesn't cut any of her "other" grass either hahaha

06-Feb-18
there was a report on the news last night on nbc boston that in Quincy a guy got bit defending his dog from a yote. they said they contacted MassWildlife and were told 'jan/feb is coyote mating season so they will be more visible...its not an increase in population' lol...love how they had to throw population in there.

06-Feb-18
Haha, we call those signs "Yummy the missing kitty" !

06-Feb-18
When I got coyote certified ..the instructor informed us...Hassling was the primary method ..throw balls at them and scare them..yes you heard that right.... I mentioned why not throw rocks and the answer i got shocked me....well maybe not...don't throw rocks you might hurt them....WTF...but on the other hand they just permitted me too drop a yote in it's tracks Whenever and with whatever firearm i want... Fish & Wildlife will NEVER have solid laws that make any sense in this state..Sorry to say !

06-Feb-18
save for after sundown, when they're most active. Then you get a .22LR

06-Feb-18
Give her a Gillette Venus razor and a box o'chocolates for your last valiant effort.......if she still won't sign then she's just another female that won't listen to reason.........in my personal experiences most of them don't listen to that song lol

07-Feb-18
I let my dog run freely around my property. He is a 70 pound lab. I always wondered what would happen if he ran into a coyote. It makes me really nervous. I guess the outcome will always be situational but do coyotes ever attack bigger dogs like him? You never really hear about it but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

07-Feb-18
big woods....the prob isn't if your 70# lab runs into 'A' coyote. its if he runs into a few of them. when they attack in pairs they're pretty lethal. a pack, forget it.

I'll never forget the day my brother and I were turkey hunting and separated about 50 yards, my brother ended up having a pack of 10 circling him howling and yipping, getting closer and closer. he stood up and yelled and they didn't stop. he had to charge at them to get them to take off. my brother is 5'10" and about 300 #.

07-Feb-18
Hickstick hit a great point. It's not 1 coyote that kills a deer, it's a few of them working together. I'm pretty sure, when you hear of them eating sheep and stuff, it's more than one doing the deed... So I'd guess, if they wanted to eat a 70# lab, that they'd team up and eat it...

07-Feb-18
My shorthair gives zero F$#@s about coyotes. She hates them because she was surrounded by 3 of them once and was scared for her life. I was lucky to be around and scare them off. She's 60lbs and full of piss and vinegar. We were walking behind my house in southern NH on the ATV trails just before the new year and she smelled one before we even saw it. She got super aggressive all of a sudden and was on high alert. Out of nowhere a big male approached us from behind. She noticed it and took off after it. All I saw was her orange vest disappear into the woods behind the yote. About 10 seconds later I hear a dog fight followed by a few long yelps. To my surprise she came to my calls and had a mouth and face full of coyote fur. She was unharmed so I assume she kicked its ass. Now we walk back there and I haven't heard or seen one in at least a month and she act like she's queen of the forest. She can detect animals way before I do so I love walking with her out there outside of deer season.

07-Feb-18
if i was turkey hunting and had ten yotes circling, i'd put the bead on the biggest one and let em know who's on the top of the food chain

07-Feb-18
we're both bowhunters Cougar. a 'wooosh' doesn't have as much impact as a 'bang' lol

07-Feb-18
haha then i'd shoot the biggest one and watch the other nine eat him instead

07-Feb-18
I'd rather get hit with a broadhead than turkey shot, it'd be faster and cleaner, turkey shot would be a painful mess lol

07-Feb-18
Buckshot your story reminds me of when I had a horse farm in Plainville in the 90's. My pointer and my ex's rottie would always chase the notes. Nixe, my pointer, was much faster and would trip up the slowest one in the pack. Then Baer, the Rottweiler, would catch up and get that coyote screaming! We had an old pony that would sleep in the field at night. She had bad feet so moved slowed and that pack of yotes were always trying to get her. Finally shot one with the 12 gauge and hung it in a tree where they came out of the woods. Didn't see another coyote for the 6 years before we sold the place.

Now in Rehoboth, I find kitty and small dog collars in the woods behind my house a few times a year. Wish I still had Nixe with me!

08-Feb-18
MRW Nixe seems like a great dog. My shorthairs have always been like lightening. They are super good and loyal dogs as well. I truly believe mine would sacrifice her life for mine If a pack of coyotes got too comfortable, but I doubt that would happen around here. They are very skittish animals as it is. I do keep a blaze orange vest on her all year round now when she's outside my yard because she has been shot at in Zone 7 with a crossbow in the fall of 2015. Some old Portuguese dude on the power lines in Granby, MA made a terrible "mistake" and thank god he was a horrible shot. Boy was I pissed, he didn't know my girl and I were about 100 yards behind her on the trail and he tried to justify himself by saying he thought she was a small deer. I called BS and lost my damn mind on him a bit and almost did something I would have regretted but I realized I was in the woods during bow season so I shouldn't be too surprised plus he was an old man likely in his late 60's and I have some sort of morals. He also looked like a ghost when he heard us yell to him and when I came running up to his blind basically ripping it open. I think he was pissed my dog messed up his hunt on public land and thought she was a stray from the neighborhood and could get away with killing her. He looked like a ruthless bastard too the way he was talking about "she's just a dog blah blah, its not a human" , "you need to relax" when I asked what would of happened if you hit her and I lost my dog you piece of s#&%. Man my heart sank when I heard the thing go off and seen her flinch, luckily she wasn't struck. I knew exactly what it was too because my father is disabled and has shot a crossbow for years so the sound of a crossbow being discharged is nothing new to me. I spotted his blind well before we approached but there was no one in the parking area and I didn't notice any windows open from a far otherwise I would have turned back and went on one of the other trails. I even told my girl "there's nobody in it, we're good". I'll never forget that day. I did call the EP's, and a contact from Federal street in SPFLD asked me to show him the blind and location of the incident (which I did) and he found the guys bolt surprisingly because my girl and I looked for it for a while and he told us the guy was in violation and hunting that close to the power lines was illegal (which I didn't know) and that he would make contact with the individual. I never followed up so I hope he was fined for something.

12-Feb-18

VtTransplant's embedded Photo
VtTransplant's embedded Photo
I’ve seen more coyotes in my neighborhood in Wakefield than I see in the woods. This one is a regular around my place. If he keeps it up I think he’s going to eat an arrow. I have a 2 year old and a golden and they have 1st rights to my yard not this vermin.

12-Feb-18
Yup, he looks like he's in big trouble...

12-Feb-18
Definitely an issue when they're in a pack. Years ago here in Dartmouth a local farmer got a 600 pound llama to protect his lambs. the coyotes killed and partially ate the llama. hickstick, your brother was lucky.

13-Feb-18
Coyotes are out of control her in zone 11. And yes they pack up. About 15 years ago was hunting during MZLDR season on Dartmouth Westport line with the property owner and not seeing any deer we discharged our guns(required in those days). Left farm to go home and in door only second when owner called me to say his Golden was going crazy! He put spotlight in field where we discharged guns and counted over 30 yotes. They must have come for gutpile after shots. Never felt safe hunting there again by myself.

14-Feb-18
Several years ago I was bowhunting alone western Mass and had came out on a 3 mile logging road to return to my truck. I noticed 3 coyotes shadowing me and closing in. I had nocked an arrow and shouted at the coyotes, but they keep closing in. As I was thinking of my next move a jeep came winding up the road and the coyotes took off. (only vehicle/person I seen all day) This state needs to update the game laws to allow LTC holders to carry handguns while bowhunting. Yes I understand the state has concerns that someone will use a handgun to harvest a deer, but my bow is a much better weapon than a small caliber, short barrel handgun for deer size animals. A small noise-maker handgun is just the medicine to teach manners to coyotes.

14-Feb-18
Bear spray. Good medicine for the various creatures that may get a little pushy round here (unless there is a stray mountain lion, we wouldnt know that until it was chewing on us)...

14-Feb-18

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
I have them chasing the deer around lots of foxes but they don't do much damage

• Sitka Gear