06-Feb-18

Jeff in MN's Link
click the link

06-Feb-18
Now that's something else!

06-Feb-18
very cool, thanks Jeff

06-Feb-18
Neat . love the old Artifacts . I have arrowheads , Spearheads, knives , hide scrapers , grain mashers , and a stone war axe . From ND SD KS UT NV TX & OR .

If anyone is passing thru your welcome to check it out .

06-Feb-18
Hope he paper tuned his bow for that thing hahaha! Thanks for sharing. Really makes you think how awesome a tradition we partake in, and are trying to save.

06-Feb-18
Jack Zwickey’s first broadhead discovered!

07-Feb-18
About the only good thing that will come from global warming is finding all sorts of stuff from under or out of the melting ice. Kool find.

07-Feb-18
Was found still stuck in the ground .."He thinks it may have taken two weeks to make the artifact, and that it would have been a significant loss for the hunter. " perhaps he missed the big nasty critter and was eaten! Or the other guy stuck him instead!

07-Feb-18
"...the arrow also marks the period when First Nations hunters were changing from atlatl (throwing dart) technology to bows and arrows"

963 years seems awfully recent to be switching to bows.

07-Feb-18
For north america ...

07-Feb-18
Tweed - A few years ago I talked to a number of different WI State Historical Society anthropologists both in person and on the phone. I asked about the early WI bow & arrow use and discovered most pretty much agree the bow & arrow first appeared in the section of North America now called Wisconsin about 500 A.D. or, approximately1,500 years ago. I learned also that it eventually became the state of the art weapon of choice (at least with regard to being able to strike from a distance) for the Native American culture here. And lastly, that it's importance and status here began to diminish when firearms were introduced by early trappers, explorers and Jesuit priests after approximately 1630. By the late eighteen hundreds in WI the importance of the Bow & arrow was minimal and most Native Americans used firearms when they hunted.,...that kind of surprised me, but I have also heard it elsewhere. It was all pretty interesting learning this and I'm glad I made the contacts. I know that 936 year old arrowhead was not found here, but it's it cool to think we today still relish the pull of a bowstring and love to watch the flight of an arrow just like our distant fathers did! Hats off to bowhunters of every millennia, we share the same DNA!

11-Feb-18
Bill - pretty consistent with our family history and why I have an 1873 Winchester that belonged to my great grandfather (can't trace it back farther than that) who lived on an Indian Reservation in WI. We have no oral history that speaks to use of bow and arrows to hunt.

• Sitka Gear