Bigbuckbob 13-Feb-18
N8tureBoy 16-Feb-18
soapdish 16-Feb-18
notme 17-Feb-18
Paul 17-Feb-18
N8tureBoy 17-Feb-18
notme 17-Feb-18
11-Feb-18
Let my German shorthair pointer out at 6:00 am today to do her business and I got the dirty business. She ran around the corner of the house came face to face with a skunk,she bit on to the skunk and took a direct hit to the face. I was in the doorway and the cloud of skunk piss was all over me and into the house. 3 baths for the dog and 3 showers for me and still trying to clear the house. The rain didn't help matters any. Took the dog to a dog bath pet store and got kicked out . Skunks suck! D.Brand

11-Feb-18
This works great,, The Skunk Remedy Recipe In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

Pour the spent solution down the drain with running water.

NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.

**********Notes**************

1) Clean plastic mixing containers and utensils are preferred. Metals encourage auto-decomposition of the peroxide.

2) Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution is usually sold in pint (500ml) bottles, so you'll need two. The 3% grade is often marked "U.S.P.", meaning that it meets the standards for medical use and purity as set forth in the United States Pharmacopoeia.

The use of other strengths/grades is not recommended unless you're a chemist, and even then a trip to the 24-hour drugstore is much better than a trip to the emergency room.

3) Use baking soda, not baking powder. "Arm and Hammer" is one popular brand. Baking soda is also called: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, U.S.P., Bicarbonate of Soda, and Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. Do not confuse any of the above with Washing Soda, which is Sodium Carbonate. Washing Soda is about 100 times more alkaline than Baking Soda and can cause skin burns to both you and your pet.

4) Two preferred brands are "Softsoap" and "Ivory Liquid". As far as auto-decomposition of the peroxide is concerned, the surfactant package in these two is fairly inert. Heavy-duty grease-cutting brands such as "Dawn" are less inert, and hair shampoo is probably the worst.

5) Once mixed, the peroxide slowly breaks down into water and oxygen gas. Thus it gets weaker with time and so it should be used promptly. The exact rate depends on temperature, pH, and catalysts such as trace amounts of metals (iron,etc.) in the soap and/or tap water.

How much pressure will the complete decomposition of 3% hydrogen peroxide produce in a closed container ??? It depends on how full the container is. Assuming negligible solubility of Oxygen in water, a bottle half-full of peroxide will develop about 140 psi. A bottle 3/4 full would develop 420 psi. This can do a lot of damage.

Highly pure hydrogen peroxide decomposes very slowly if kept cool and in a dark place, a few percent a year. The more dilute solutions usually decompose faster (due to impurities in the dilution water) and have a trace of stabilizer added. So why aren't the bottles in the store bloated or bursting ? Look carefully inside the cap... you'll see some very tiny holes in the cap liner to let the oxygen gas escape. A good reason to always store bottles upright.

Look for an expiration date on your peroxide. If you're using stuff which has been sitting around in your medicine cabinet for years, buy fresh peroxide.

6) Tepid: lukewarm.

7) All brand names mentioned in this website are trademarks of their various owners.

11-Feb-18
thanks, just a note, dog goes to vet in morning for a rabbis booster because of the biting and white fur in her mouth.

11-Feb-18

soapdish's embedded Photo
soapdish's embedded Photo
No fun for sure. One of my dogs got it last year. These guys are coming out too

11-Feb-18
Yup rader1 is right both my labs have been spayed at least 2 time . Use Dawn soap

12-Feb-18
use DAWN dish soap in that mixture...works better to cut the oil

12-Feb-18
Yes in the mix

12-Feb-18
I heard PETCO has something that works majic on skunk spray. Spray it on the dog's coat and wipe it off? never actually tried it but it was from a good source.

12-Feb-18
Is it Chucacabra season?

13-Feb-18
Wife let the Doberman out Monday and it cornered the skunk in the dog kennel. 2 dogs in 2 days. had enough of skunks. My absentee neighbor has someone feeding an outdoor cat and filling bird seed a few times a week and when its empty they come my way looking for food. Have 2 have-a-heart traps out baited with tuna fish so may I can end this skunk problem. Thanks the the remidies for cleaning my dogs. D.Brand

13-Feb-18
One summer my neighbor and I caught 60+ skunks in our neighborhood with baited Have A Heart traps. They work well for skunks so I would say you are on the right path!

13-Feb-18
Once in the trap, how do you avoid being sprayed? I saw in North woods law that they put a blanket over the cage.

13-Feb-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/TuLC8KjmIhU

Thats an easy one to answer there soap..

13-Feb-18
Baited traps may or may not work at this time of year. Males are out looking for den sites of the females. Love is in the air. One HOT female will attract every male in the neighborhood.

13-Feb-18
Yes throw a blanket over the cage and take them for a ride in your vehicle to the nearest water hole. Once there, throw them in that water hole still in the trap. Kinda like fishin for crabs on Deadliest Catch. Set the timer for 10 minutes and pull your trap back in. Works great!!

13-Feb-18
Saw 2 taking a nap on the road today

16-Feb-18
Years ago I used a product called Skunk-Kleen that I got at a pet store. I kept it on hand, realizing that it was only a matter of time before my springer and Pepe la'peu crossed paths. Ended up having a very similar experience to dbrand when my dog clamped down on the business end of the skunk and came running back onto the porch one night before bed. I had never smelled skunk spray that fresh. Kind of a petroleum odor for a few seconds before it oxidizes, and then it became very obvious to the whole neighborhood what had happened. The spray worked great and the dog slept inside that night, although the whole vicinity reeked since it was ground zero.

16-Feb-18
Good to know. Should keep a bottle on hand

17-Feb-18
Ive used whiskey in a jar at times after theyve sprayed..works great!!!...no wait thats a different kind of stinky..lol

17-Feb-18
Well as I type my wire has our 2 labs in the shower with said mixture . Bad way to wake up .

17-Feb-18
Notme - how much whiskey does one need to drink before the skunk smell disappears from the dog, and will scotch work in a pinch?

17-Feb-18
N8-as much as you can take but not too much so you can leave in the morning..lol

• Sitka Gear