Chief2 17-Feb-18
Badger_16 18-Feb-18
ground hunter 18-Feb-18
RUGER1022 20-Feb-18
ground hunter 20-Feb-18
PB in WI 22-Feb-18
PB in WI 22-Feb-18
13-Feb-18
I thought this might be an interesting topic, my Dad came by yesterday and dropped off a gun for me to go over (clean / shoot, repeat). The gun is a mosin-nagat beautiful old Russian rifle, love old guns, gave it a good once over took it out back and it was spot on... Albiet a 10 meter target haha. That's when I thought about starting this thread to see what old gun you have that us your favorite. Mine is actually a .410 my dad gave me as a kid he bought it when he was about 20 with a coffee can full of shells it was pretty old when got it and were guessing it to be somewhere around 90 years old... Still kills rabbits though! So what's your favorite old gun you have?

13-Feb-18
A springfield 30-06 bolt action that my grandfather owned. He died in '54 and owned it quite a while, I think he was the only owner besides my dad and then me. Dad shot a lot of deer with it too. I have never shot it in the 20 or so years I have owned it. My eyes just don't focus in iron sights. I though about mounting a scope but the bolt would have to be modified somehow for the scope to work, or scope mounted so high that it would not be usable. Cool part about the gun is gramps would notch the stock for every buck he killed. Probably 25 notches on it. Most from the Athelstane area but some in upper Michigan and some around the Newald Tower. Dad did not add any notches. Old deer camp story, gramps missed a buck one day and he never misses. The guys encouraged him so shoot a crow that was in a tree just to prove he could hit it, but he would have nothing to do with the waste of a bullet. Any time he fired that gun he would clean it that evening back at deer camp. Well, wouldn't you know it, the bullet was stuck in the barrel. If he had fired another shot that barrel would have been history.

13-Feb-18
I have a 410 also, a Iver Johnson, got it when I was 9,,,, however my dad was ahead of his time, he hated exposed hammers for kids,,,,, gave me a single shot model 37, box lock single shot, hammerless,,,, I can tell you it cost more than he could afford,,,,,,,

Than he gave me a Fox Double when I was 12,,,,,, I love those guns,,,,,,,, Even though I got to go to college, full ride on the GI bill, I still did not save much money, had a passion for doubles, and bought a few,,,, ha ha,,,,, I love them guns

13-Feb-18
Another one I loved was a remington 20 guage pump with bottom eject, I think might have been a model 20 or something like that. It also came from grandpa then dad, then me. It got stolen from my house along with a rifle. Had gotten back home from deer camp and left them in the entry way in the case so they could warm up slowly before cleaning and putting them in the safe.

I passed out business cards at gun shows with the make, model, and serial number on them for years after that. Nobody came forward with any clues. Cops knew who did it but never recovered it. They figure it was half way to Chicago before I knew it was missing. I wonder if now days there is any sort of database out there that dealers follow when they take in trades or buy a gun. Ruger do you know of anything like that?

13-Feb-18
Jeff, theres a system but the word is that they are so far behind on 4473 forms they could fill warehouses .

Many a person has reported stolen guns to me over the years . Never recovered q single gun . I have a gunsafe . Bolted to the wall & a Teargas bomb hooked up to gun room door .

Just bought a gun colkection & 4 of them are Iver Johnsons single shots in .410. 28 ga 16 ga & 20 ga .

13-Feb-18
I own a 30-40 Krag, prettiest one you'll ever lay your eyes on and still wreaks of Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders. Been offered small fortunes for it but it has a rich history and is just too sentimental a piece to let go.

13-Feb-18
My favorite "old" gun is the 30-30 Win 94 that was my dad's. He shot many deer with it, as did myself and my brothers as we began our hunting years. It is old, worn and not worth much, other than to me.

13-Feb-18
4473's are not tracked in any way. They are kept by the dealer who does the transfer. If the dealer goes out of business they are archived by ATF. There is no database.

The only way guns are tracked is when one is reported stolen. That goes into a database.

13-Feb-18
"Just bought a gun colkection & 4 of them are Iver Johnsons single shots in .410. 28 ga 16 ga & 20 ga . " Not sure about yours, But my 20 has beautiful wood on it!

13-Feb-18
Is this Gunsite or Bowsite? ;^)

I have an old Steven's Crackshot single shot take down in .32 rimfire with a partially octagon barrel that was my grandpa's and then my dad's and now mine...

13-Feb-18
Savage 99 in 250-3000. It was the predecessor to the 22-250.

13-Feb-18
This is fun,,,, last summer I found a Winchester Model 24 double, dual triggers, 90 percent, beautiful wood, improved and modified, in 16 gauge in a small and only shop in Baraga, while my wife was gambling,,,, she lost I won,,,,,,,

300.00 cash took it out the door,,,, made from 1941 to 1959,,, nice gun for birds, and I wanted a 16,,,,,,, in 50 percent there over 600.00,,,, I do not sell any of my guns anymore,,,,,,

If I would have kept all me LE guns thru the years, I could have made a lot of money

13-Feb-18
My favorite is my dad's model 11-48 in 16 ga. It needs to have some small stock repairs and a new recoil pad. Once these little things are done I intend to continue using it. I still love all 16s. My second favorite is a model 870 in 16 ga. with a round forearm with radial grooves. Got that one around 1985 for $135 from a guy giving up hunting for golf.

13-Feb-18
"Got that one around 1985 for $135 from a guy giving up hunting for golf."

Way to take advantage of a man clearly not in his right mind! LOL!

13-Feb-18
Grandfathers 32 remington pump.

13-Feb-18
Mine would be my 303 British BSA with p14 action , I inherited it from my grandfather turned out the barrel was shot so had to replace the barrel , now it shoots on a dime and there is just something about the gun that always gets me ,it is not the prettiest gun I have but defiantly my go to gun for shots up to 200yards

13-Feb-18
I have a mossburg model "L'' that I am currently rust bluing. Based on my reserch, they only made around 1500 of them.

13-Feb-18
Thanks! I love these stories, I plan on handing my favorite down to my son in a few short years

13-Feb-18
Retro, the Rem 32 was a o/u . The pump of that time was the Rem model 31 . A great gun in its time .

13-Feb-18
Ruger, Its a Rem Model 14 I believe. They started making them about 1912.

14-Feb-18
My favorite old gun I own is a Swiss K31 in 7.5 x 55. Had two at one time wish I never sold one of them.

14-Feb-18

Ranger rick 's embedded Photo
Here are 2 old ones that were given to me.

14-Feb-18

15-Feb-18

Trapper's Link
If you need some guidance on rebuilding one.

15-Feb-18

tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
I have a Model 49 Husqvarna 16ga double that I rebuilt a few years ago. Refinished the wood and metal. It was made in the middle 1890's and still drops birds when I do my part.

15-Feb-18
My grandfather had some great guns. Some were even old by his standards. My first gun was his first gun that was a hand me down from one of his older family members. That put it into the 1800s.

Unfortunately a few years ago some crackhead broke into my dad's place and stole everything but one or two guns.

15-Feb-18
I had my hands on a LC Smith this afternoon,,,,, we could not agree on a price, but he showed me some nice stuff,,,, bought some scope mounts from the guy,,,, always meet the nicest people, when trading guns and stuf

Tunes where did that gun originate from?

16-Feb-18
1 favorite I owned for 72 hours . was visiting the wifes ralatives in North Dakota . Her uncle hands me a 50-70 Springfield in nasty condition . He bought it 50 years ago at an auction . Some of you know where this is going . YES it serialed out as issued to one of Custer's calvery . I told him I had an offer on 15 ,000 . He decided to keep it . His daughter now owns it .

16-Feb-18
Bought a sawed off 10 gauge double with hammers at a Susanville CA gunsgun show .the shotgun was marked W F & CO. Wells fargo . Turns out that the gun was taken during a train robbery near Virginia city NV .

When word got out that I bought the gun in Susanville a handfull of people spent a few years looking there for the 80 lbs of gold & silver that were never found .

16-Feb-18
Glenn my friend just bought a 10 gauge Winchester shotgun, its a lever action that takes 3 rounds I think, I will have to look that up you may know more about that style, I have not seen it, he just called me on it

50-70 wow

16-Feb-18
1 day I loaded a few 10 ga shells with Black Powder & 1 1/2 oz of # 4's . When I fired Barrel # 1 Barrel # 2 also went off . That spread could have turned back an entire posse .

17-Feb-18
too funny

17-Feb-18
Its interesting that the Govt talks about how evil an AR15 is .

A 12 gauge pump with 6- 3 inch mags in 00 buck is a wicked crowd stopper .

17-Feb-18
I hate to tell you what I can do with a Benneli, tactical reloading and a 6 shot tube,,,,

17-Feb-18
G H, A big time actor used the 10 ga Win . Lever action in 3 movies . Who was it ?

17-Feb-18
I think I know. The movies were Terminator

17-Feb-18
There are some pretty good videos of folks testing homemade shotgun shells, with random stuff like spark plugs and aspirin against watermelons and junk, obviously I don't recommend trying it but very interesting to watch the folks that make the videos are "demolition ranch" again I don't endorse or recommend trying this but it's fun to watch

18-Feb-18
My favorite would be my springfield M1a my grandfather gave to me when I graduated high school. He had one that I loved growing up, when I graduated he gave me one of my own.

18-Feb-18
Still trying to think, about which actor that is,,,,,,, ?????????????

20-Feb-18
Arnold

20-Feb-18
ok, since I do not watch that anti hunter, I should have guessed it...... he is like Stallone another dick

22-Feb-18
tunes - what do you shoot out of that Model 49 Husqvarna? That has to be a Damascus barrel.

22-Feb-18
Got my dad's collection before he passed away. My favorite was his 8mm Mauser he used for deer hunting. Peep sights. Have to get at least one deer with that before I am done.

• Sitka Gear