yooper89 14-Feb-18
mikea20 26-Feb-18
cnelk 26-Feb-18
yooper89 26-Feb-18
jordanathome 01-Mar-18
13-Feb-18

yooper89's embedded Photo
yooper89's embedded Photo
Hey guys - need some help quick. I'm looking to stick close to home this fall for an archery deer hunt - I've got some things planned for later season elk with a couple out-of-state family members so I'm going to focus my archery season on deer. Since I already live in unit 20, I figure it'll save me a headache from "going far away and leaving my lady and son behind" for a few days. As mentioned, I'll be doing that later in the fall anyway.

I was reading over the Drawn Out Report on the CPW website and want to make sure I'm reading it correctly. According to 2017 report, I'd have a 40% chance to draw the unit with no points on a second choice, correct? I only have one deer PP saved up anyway, but if I can avoid burning it, I'd like to save it.

Has anybody done any deer hunting in this unit? I know a few folks who've hunted elk in there and seen nice deer, but nobody that's actually put time into hunting them.

Thanks everybody

13-Feb-18
Yes, in the recap it shows 180 applied for the 2nd choice and 72 drew a tag, or 40%.

13-Feb-18
Yeah, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

14-Feb-18
Never hunted deer over there, but I bet you will find bucks if you start looking. Would bet you can find some really good ones. Have hunted deer in the unit just south and saw some very respectable bucks years ago.

14-Feb-18
I plan to scout as often as I can this summer. It'll be the first year I'll be dedicating my time to chasing mule deer but I'm excited for the experience.

26-Feb-18
I've done some deer hunting in unit 20 over the last 4-5 yrs. Deer are one of the only animals I don't save points on and I always draw as 1st choice. I almost always hunt the lower part of the unit along the Big Thompson canyon. Unit 20 is enormous and I've wanted to hunt towards Allenspark and Twin Sisters but have yet to do so. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the unit, if I'm able to, I'd be happy to help.

26-Feb-18
Yooper89 - I sent you a PM - Im done posting draw tactics online

26-Feb-18
Thank you for the PM. I wrote you back.

01-Mar-18
I might be trying that......I'll risk 40% to build a point. The tough nut is on the elk side. I can have a 57% chance to draw a cow tag on zero points......but if I draw I don't build any points as it has to be 1st choice. Dammit. Looks like I will draw for points and buy an OTC tag and dive off I-70 some where to hunt this year. waaaaaaahhhhh

• Sitka Gear