Bigbuckbob 14-Feb-18
skipmaster1 14-Feb-18
bigbuckbob 15-Feb-18
skipmaster1 17-Feb-18
soapdish 18-Feb-18
notme 19-Feb-18
Bigbuckbob 19-Feb-18
13-Feb-18
Just curious. Anyone else here make their own maple syrup or am I the only one with these two oddball hobbies?

13-Feb-18
I ran 100 taps at my house for about 8 years. Been too busy with kids to do it the last 5. 'Tis the season.

13-Feb-18

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I made about 10 gallons last year. Hoping for more this year as we are building a second evaporator that should be done this week. We did a small test run on Saturday but the trees are just starting to really run

14-Feb-18
I probably would if I had a clue. I always wonder who was the first one to try things. "Hey im gonna lick this stuff oozing out of this tree". Thank God they did though.

14-Feb-18
I'm dabbling this year... My kids love the stuff, and it's never bad to teach them about the outside world or make them have a new responsibility (checking the sap buckets)... So we are tapping 3-4 (waiting on permission from one neighbor) trees near the house. Probably boil down to only a cup or something when it's said and done, but it's still fun :)

Interesting how many folks on here do it. I asked some questions on the MA forum because it's new to me and I knew some guys did it... Dang thread almost looks like I came on here and made a thread posted "Davis Aviation, SI, White Buffalo, Dr Williams (no offense Dr Williams)" :)

I was amazed how fast the sap runs on some trees. The one in my yard, it was coming so fast yesterday afternoon that the kids lay down under the hose and we would drip it into their mouths!

14-Feb-18

Getting the kids involved is why we do it.

14-Feb-18

14-Feb-18

14-Feb-18
Im going to buy some when we go to My Snow skiing. There's a sugar shack on the way. Much easier:)

14-Feb-18
It easier buying it! I just can't afford the gallons we use and for some reason they never appreciate me drinking a case of beer at he check out!

15-Feb-18
If anyone is in need of an official taste tester let me know. I'll bring my own pancakes :)

17-Feb-18

Today we ran our old Evaporator and the new one my buddy built from steel we scavenged. It was built to fit a pan we got a steal on last year off of Craigslist. We finished 2.5 gallons of syrup and didn't put in a full day. We ran out of sap before we ran out of daylight

18-Feb-18
Mmmmmmm maaaaapppppplllleeeee syrup

19-Feb-18

notme's Link
Soap- i often wonder the same,who thought of licking ooze out of a tree..probably went something like this.... https://youtu.be/eY7ZX6ngOSs

Man thats a lot of work skipmasrter..

Will, thats funny dude..i could picture kids doing that.lol

19-Feb-18
Not me, yeah I agree. I can picture some guy going around looking for things to lick or put in his mouth. It probably ended when he licked a bad mushroom or chewed on a poison snake.

• Sitka Gear